Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 3 vs. Top 25  (Read 4051 times)

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 3 vs. Top 25
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
Even though I think the OP should go to the other school, I would rather we didn't use T3 and TTT interchangeably since they are not the same thing.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 03:44:26 PM »
Yeah... public transportation is pretty much a no go!!!

Despite not being the best career move, I do not think I would be resentful for going to the tier 3.  My fiance thinks I should go to the best school, but truthfully, I am not sure about being so far away (not because I am afraid it would not work but because I am not sure how happy I would be!).  Ahh.. the stress! 

LOL!

You might not feel resentful now, but you might in 2 or 3 years when you can't get an interview anywhere halfway decent.  I was reading a post by a guy called watso the other day who mentioned a family member that went to Jones and did really well but still couldn't even get a foot in the door.

Rankings matter for professional schools WAY more than for undergrad.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »

Despite not being the best career move, I do not think I would be resentful for going to the tier 3.  My fiance thinks I should go to the best school, but truthfully, I am not sure about being so far away (not because I am afraid it would not work but because I am not sure how happy I would be!).  Ahh.. the stress! 

LOL!

Would you be resentful if something happened and the two of you did not end up getting married? Do you honestly not want to go to a t25 because you don't think you can handle the distance? I know the idea of moving to a new area can be scary...but 5 hours is not really that far. How many years is it until your fiance finishes school...could he move where you are when he graduates? What about when you graduate. Do you and your fiance plan to settle in the area where he is currently attending school? If not, you already limited the likelihood of you being able to go into another area with him because most tier 3 schools are very regional unless you have really awesome grades or great connections. I think instead of looking at the immediate consequences you should look at the long range affect of your decision.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »

If you're traveling to see him, look into public transit options like train, if available. Five hours of studying beats 5 hours (10, speaking of a weekend) of wasted time.

I wouldn't consider 5 hours of traveling to see her SO wasted time but I do agree and think it is more efficient to use public transportation.

If you need to devote 5 (or 10) hours to something that keeps you from studying, it's time wasted. This has nothing to do with the benefit of seeing the boyfriend or the reason for travel. You may view 10 non-productive hours differently as a 1L than you do pre-law.

As for the resentment -- don't discount that a very real possibility in the future. If someone's with you for the long haul, they shouldn't expect you to make choices that limit your options. Even if you're not looking at biglaw, there's still a big difference in opportunity between T25/Tier 3.

brettlawless

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 04:06:50 PM »
Take the better school. Most people end up getting divorced anyway.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010!!!

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
Could you postpone law school until his grad school is complete?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 04:26:19 PM »

LOL!

Would you be resentful if something happened and the two of you did not end up getting married? Do you honestly not want to go to a t25 because you don't think you can handle the distance? I know the idea of moving to a new area can be scary...but 5 hours is not really that far. How many years is it until your fiance finishes school...could he move where you are when he graduates? What about when you graduate. Do you and your fiance plan to settle in the area where he is currently attending school? If not, you already limited the likelihood of you being able to go into another area with him because most tier 3 schools are very regional unless you have really awesome grades or great connections. I think instead of looking at the immediate consequences you should look at the long range affect of your decision.

TITCR
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 04:27:24 PM »
Take the better school. Most people end up getting divorced anyway.

Sadly also a credited response...and statistically proven.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
1) Yes, knowing the schools would help answer this question. 2) You've barely mentioned the financial aspect.  What is your expected debt at both schools?  3) What do you want to do with your law degree?  Biglaw = higher ranked school.  Federal/state/local government = perfectly fine to take a full tuition scholarship.

A lot of this depends on what you want to do with your life after law school...and where you want to do it...

If you are happy with the region your TTT is in and you have no great ambitions to be rich or work in a Biglaw firm, then you'll be just fine at the TTT. Law school will, in and of itself, put a strain on your relationships (Of the couples I have known who began law school together, about 50 percent did not finish it that way) and adding distance will increase that stress. This is not to say it cannot be done and a long-distance relationship is doomed, but just that you need to be honest about the risk you're undertaking.

In the end, you'll have to evaluate how much your career matters to you; how much your current S.O. matters to you; how strong the relationship is and how well it tolerates stress (some people just need to be physically together, while others tolerate distance better); and whether you could be happy at a small firm in the region of the T3 or whether you would resent your S.O. for limiting you to that.

Also key is to evaluate as honestly as you can whether this S.O. is "the one." You would be making a serious opportunity sacrifice (although, contrary to the paranoia of some, TTT does not equal life of misery) for the relationship, and you need to be sure its a worthy investment.

If he is, then you have to really get a sense of what he wants out of his life/career/family. A relationship is a partnership, and the best partners always look to elevate their better half before thinking of themselves (which, impressively, it seems you are doing). Look at your lives together five years out and try to imagine where you'd like to be. How hard would it be to get there from a TTT, how hard from a T25?

Remember though, jobs are a dime a dozen and people are what will truly define your life in the end.

These are tough questions. I thinks it's fine to get a range of opinions on this board, but in the end you are going to have to sit down with your S.O. and have a very honest, perhaps uncomfortable discussion about goals, family, career etc...

-- Good luck

I agree with KillJoy.  He/she said a lot of what I would have said, especially the bolded.  While you should not go to a school you dislike or resent because of your SO, TTT does not = life of misery. 

Pete Steele

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 05:12:01 PM »
You also have to think about what grad school he is in.  My fiance is currently getting her phd in a humanities, and there is no way she'll ever make anything other than an ok salary.  I'm going to a better school about 5 hours away rather than stay with her because it is better for our future in the long run.  If you're in the same boat definitely go to the better school.
University of MICHIGAN Class of 2010 (Summer)