Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Minnesota Class of 2010  (Read 8189 times)

platopotato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2010
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »

1300 is too much. Go to dell.com right now and click on notebooks > small business, and check out the prices.

$1436 bare bones with no software.  Huh?

What? Right now you can get a d630 for 899, and a d420 for 1199. These will probably be even cheaper by next fall.

platopotato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »

What? Right now you can get a d630 for 899, and a d420 for 1199. These will probably be even cheaper by next fall.

strange.  the d420 is closer to $1200 bare bones to $2000 loaded on Dell's site.

Where do you get your opinions?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/latit?c=us&ck=LOBLink&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sort=price

platopotato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »
I just customized a d630 to the specs listed on the UMN laptop page and it was under 1300 (including the 204$ upgrade for ram). Dell makes a killing on ram upgrades, cost about half that to do it yourself.

go.ph.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2007, 03:57:15 PM »
I shouldn't have thrown that 1300 out there...it kinda came from nowhere.  I thought thats what they said at the ASW, but that was before they knew what company/model they were going with...maybe it will end up being less.

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »
These laptops are definatly around $2,000 configured to the specs listed on the school's laptop program webpage.

But you're right about RAM upgrades through computer manufacturers. They're a total ripoff, you can buy 2x 1gb sticks for ~$80 on newegg or outpost. It's like a $200 upgrade through dell or apple etc.

I think I remember hearing that we pay for the laptops through a $500 a year fee built into our tuition.

Selling your laptop on ebay doesn't seem like an option considering that it's required for exams. Unless you can find your own functional copies of the exam software and explain to your prof why you're taking your test on a different comp than everyone else.

One major perk that hasn't been pointed out is the three years of accidental damage coverage. I've also heard they'll replace your laptop the day you bring it in to get it repaired.
UMN '10

platopotato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »
We don't know what the UMN is going to charge for these laptops. My point is that it probably wont be that much of a deal. The price for these specs will be cheaper 3-4 months from now.

As for the "basic software" thats included, who knows what that includes. You could save hundreds by just using OpenOffice and downloading anything else you need off bit torrent :P

platopotato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »

As for the "basic software" thats included, who knows what that includes. You could save hundreds by just using OpenOffice and downloading anything else you need off bit torrent :P

I endorse OpenOffice.  Also, I believe UMN has blanket licenses for most software so you can just kinda download and use it for free as a student.

Does that still exist Gopherit?

Many universities offer their students free software. At the very least anti-virus protection. I don't like having my software pre-selected for me, especially anti-virus software.

*edit, i just noticed this on the umn laptop page:

"* Microsoft Office 2007 will be provided to you at orientation.  For licensing reasons, it is not included on the basic laptop image."

Provided at orientation? Would they provide office 2007 even if a student didnt purchase a laptop? There are some exceptions to this program, i dont think transfer students have to buy a laptop. Do they get office 07?

Also, there is a note below that mentions symantec AV. Yuck.

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »

I endorse OpenOffice.  Also, I believe UMN has blanket licenses for most software so you can just kinda download and use it for free as a student.

Yea everyone has one free license of a few different microsoft software packages.

http://www1.umn.edu/ucs/Microsoft/ms4students.php

The University provides free downloads of a symantec anti virus client. It'll do just as good of a job as any other major virus detection software provided you keep the definition files up to date.
UMN '10

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »

Many universities offer their students free software. At the very least anti-virus protection. I don't like having my software pre-selected for me, especially anti-virus software.

*edit, i just noticed this on the umn laptop page:

"* Microsoft Office 2007 will be provided to you at orientation.  For licensing reasons, it is not included on the basic laptop image."

Provided at orientation? Would they provide office 2007 even if a student didnt purchase a laptop? There are some exceptions to this program, i dont think transfer students have to buy a laptop. Do they get office 07?

Also, there is a note below that mentions symantec AV. Yuck.

I'm sure you can opt to uninstall symantec (the difficulty of doing so is the worst part about that specific software) and use your own AV progam. Of course, every time the school imaged your laptop (for repairs or something) it would be reinstalled.

That being given I don't think viruses, advertisement software, etc will be much of an issue on vista (at least for a while). It's secure just because it's new, not many users have it (nor will be making the switch), and thus no one has taken the time to write malicious software for it yet. I imagine that given the hardware requirements for making use of vista the percentage of users (and corporations/large institutions) who will be able to upgrade will be pretty small for years to come. I think the services provided by the laptop program would be much handier if we were still going to be using XP. With XP it would be nice to have someone around to reformat and reinstall everything on your computer for ya once or twice a year.

All said and done I would prefer to do away with the laptop program. It's really only helpful for people who are coming to school without a laptop (not very many are) and people who are not very tech savvy (seems less and less of these people are around as well). The program was clearly designed and approved by people who aren't aware of these facts. Itís not a cost effective nor helpful service for people who donít fall into these categories, but I also don't think we're getting taken to the cleaners over it either.
UMN '10

drivethru

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2007, 07:55:13 PM »
The $1300 didn't come out of thin air. That was the price estimated at my law school visit and I believe that may have been the estimate provided in the welcome materials (The $500 was how much students paid per year under the old lease program which won't be in effect for us).

The University of Minnesota won a lawsuit against Microsoft, and as a result, students now get Microsoft Office for free as part of the settlement (The lawsuit had to do with Microsoft offering discounted software to certain schools but not all or something like that).  The software distribution is regardless of whether you buy the laptop through the law school.

I wonder how much IT is getting from Dell out of this deal...