Which option would you take?

Hofstra ($45k scholarship)
 27 (42.9%)
FIU PT (in-state @ $8k per yr)
 27 (42.9%)
Toledo
 9 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Soft Factors' Future  (Read 2187 times)

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Soft Factors' Future
« on: April 17, 2007, 08:44:56 AM »
Thanks a lot.  I'm just trying to get some opinions.  God willing I have more options and this isn't the final poll.  But, this very well could be, so I'm interested in the LSD perspective. 

Thank you.
Hofstra '10

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Factors' Future
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:58:21 AM »
Can't you still get some of the Hofstra deposit back?

FIU I think is a school that is on the rise.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »
You already deposited at Hofstra, so I'd go there so as to not lose the $$$.

Ehh, I wouldn't use a few $100 as a reason to base the rest of your life on.

I don't know much about FIU or Toledo, but I do know FIU is on the rise and surprisingly had the highest bar passage rate in FL this past year.  While not reason alone to go, it is certainly impressive.

I don't know what it is, but I just hate Hofstra.  I guess it goes back to my high school days when I used to hit the bars up over there and couldn't stand the types of people that go to Hofstra.
USD 2010

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 10:23:57 AM »
SF, would you be able to get a job or do you have one lined up if you do attend FIU part-time?

If so, I'd lean that way. Especially if it's a firm job, and a place you could work after you graduate.

AHOYHOY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:33:22 AM »
I voted FIU. It is on the rise and in FL, where you currently are. You seem to have some solid ties in FL (Black et al.) and hopefully you'll be able to exploit them a little better if you stay in state.

GL

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 12:46:32 PM »
I voted for Hofstra and I think you are going to have a bright future whereever you end up, which I believe will be Florida State.

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »
SF, would you be able to get a job or do you have one lined up if you do attend FIU part-time?

If so, I'd lean that way. Especially if it's a firm job, and a place you could work after you graduate.

I work for Black, Srebnick, Kornspan & Stumpf, a defense firm, and I can keep the job in a part time capacity if I want.  I don't want to continue working as a paralegal, though, and there's zero difference between that position and the law clerk.  I've had the job for the past two years and the experiences have been great and many, but I would like new experiences.  I won't be burning any bridges at the firm.  The fact that I can look for new part time work is exciting and a factor leaning me toward FIU.  Also, I can transfer into FIU's full-time program after the first year and graduate in 3 years.  

The big issue I have is the part time program essentially locking me into that school for three years.  I don't know if I have the option to transfer because I won't have the required number of credits by the transfer deadlines (I imagine).  I'm not saying I have a plan to transfer, but it's not a bad option if you perform very well.    

I like Hofstra's location, though not its immediate location, and I like the two week summer program in Sorrento, Italy with Justice Scalia, but are those reasons to choose a law school?  Also the annual $15k.  Still an expensive school, though.

I really don't know anything about Toledo.  I applied and was accepted in less than 2 weeks, I think.  I know they're my highest ranked option at #85, but I'm really not much of a numbers whore.  I do know that Toledo doesn't sound so awesome.

And then there's the weather.  Miami v. Toledo/Hempstead

Hofstra's in the poll lead.  Kinda surprised considering how much crap the school takes on this site.  
Hofstra '10

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »
You already deposited at Hofstra, so I'd go there so as to not lose the $$$.

Ehh, I wouldn't use a few $100 as a reason to base the rest of your life on.

I don't know much about FIU or Toledo, but I do know FIU is on the rise and surprisingly had the highest bar passage rate in FL this past year.  While not reason alone to go, it is certainly impressive.

I don't know what it is, but I just hate Hofstra.  I guess it goes back to my high school days when I used to hit the bars up over there and couldn't stand the types of people that go to Hofstra.

I've heard some crummy things about the people that go to Hofstra.  Not really that big of a factor though.

I FIU fitting that GMU mold, where Hofstra is kinda struggling with idenity and reputation. 

Plus, I wouldn't choose any school with an intent to transfer.  That sounds to me like you don't want to be there in the first place.  Go to the place, that even if you had the option to transfer, it wouldnt be an easy sell for you.  In otherwords, go the place you'd actually want to go to.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 01:13:58 PM »
I voted for Hofstra and I think you are going to have a bright future whereever you end up, which I believe will be Florida State.

Thank you, and that would be amazing!
Hofstra '10

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »

Thank you, and that would be amazing!

We're keeping our fingers crossed....you seem like a pretty cool dude.
IU-B '10