Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living in New Jersey  (Read 1907 times)

calcio103

• View Profile
Re: Living in New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 02:30:15 PM »
lol..well i guess I'll get started on that...
Free Parking(A): Tulane, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Pacific($$), Baylor, Rutgers-N
Go Directly to Jail(R):
Chance (Waitlisted): American, Brooklyn

undecided07

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:02:46 PM »
I lived in Hoboken for a while (if anyone has seen my other posts I'm just going to put on a disclaimer saying I've moved 14 or 15 times im my life, so that explains how I have knowledge on various areas)... and I have to say that even though it seems expensive, relative to NYC its a great bargain.  You basically get larger spaces for less money.

For example, I currently live in Manhattan.  Pay $877.50 a month for a 2 bedroom in a 5 flight walk up I share with a roommate.  When I lived in Hoboken, I paid $900 per month.  I lived in a 2 story duplex with a backyard; it was a converted firehouse and easily 5 to 6 times larger than the place I live in now!

Hoboken is pretty cool.  Its really chill, a good place if you are in your mid to late 20s to early 30s, and has great views of Manhattan.  The light rail, path and NJ transit trains make it fairly accessible.. although sometimes it can take a while to get somewhere and coming back from NYC late at night is not too fun.  Finding parking in the area is a major pain in the ass too.

As for JC, I have a friend who owns a brownstone there and has been living there for the last 10 years.  She says its really great, another affordable option.  I know that some areas aren't the safest, but that's true of any city.

Good luck with you apt searches!
~Loyola LA 2010~

Hollywood, sunshine, and a BMW. Who said law school can't be fun?

Ali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 08:52:55 AM »
Could you explain what you mean by getting back from NYC at night is not fun?

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:37:15 AM »
Could you explain what you mean by getting back from NYC at night is not fun?

After 2:00 AM the PATh only runs every 25 minutes or so. In the morning it runs every three to five minutes. Therefore, while the commute to work/school is fantastic, the commute home from the bars at 5:00 AM can be pretty devastating. I assume that is what she is reffering to.

joewillie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 09:49:38 AM »
True about the PATH in the wee wee hours.  It can also be filled with drunken meatheads doing chin-ups on the pole.   That said, Hoboken is good spot.  I have been a somewhat reluctant resident for over four years but the place has grown on me.  It has a small city vibe apart from the looming metropolis across the river, very safe, clean, good restaurants (many of which are BYO).  The surface vibe is somewhat post-fraternity bar crawl but there is still the old school charm of the Irish and Italian enclave it once was and a strong underground of artists and musicians (Maxwells is a great live music spot, plus Tunes and DCs).  I would especially recommend Hoboken for those who don't think of themselves as city people.
Cardozo 2010

undecided07

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »
Yes, what I mean about getting home at night is that it seems to take much longer than when you live in NYC.  Not only does the PATH run less frequently, but it only runs on the west side of Manhattan up to 34th street.  So... if you decide to party with friends in a different area, you have to a) either take the subway somewhere at night (which suck in NYC, since they run only every half an hour and generally are local at that so there are more stops!) or take a cab to a path station and go on to Jersey. 

When I lived in Hoboken I tended to just crash at a friends place in the city because, especially in my drunken state, it always seemed 10000 times easier.

But I think its a great place to live, especially if you aren't a city person or you want to be able to concentrate on your studies.  I didn't apply to any schools in NYC, even though I love it to death, because when I went here for UG I found it so hard to concentrate.  Apts were too small and not well lit, and there were always so many things going on that it was way to simple for me to get distracted.  But, now that I think about it, I living in Hoboken and going somewhere to school in Jersey or the city wouldn't have been so bad.  Its got a cozy, relaxed vibe that allows you to feel a part of a larger city, but also a smaller community as well.. without a lot of the anxiety that the metropolis can other wise give you.
~Loyola LA 2010~

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 06:31:36 PM »
Sort of off-topic, but I've seen a lot of Rutgers-N people looking at private renting, does the school not offer residences at all? Are they poor quality? Or is it generally just wanting to be in a better location?

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 11:09:08 PM »
Yes, what I mean about getting home at night is that it seems to take much longer than when you live in NYC.  Not only does the PATH run less frequently, but it only runs on the west side of Manhattan up to 34th street.  So... if you decide to party with friends in a different area, you have to a) either take the subway somewhere at night (which suck in NYC, since they run only every half an hour and generally are local at that so there are more stops!) or take a cab to a path station and go on to Jersey. 

This is so true. I started to plan my night around when the Path would come, because just missing one and knowing you have to wait a 1/2 hour with 100 other drunken people is not fun. But the PATH does have a stop near the Lower East Side. I went out there a lot when I lived in Hoboken and walking to that stop (Christopher Street or 8th Street) isn't so bad.

Also, going out in Hoboken is a lot fun too. But a cab back from the city is insanely expensive. I think if I live in NYC after LS and can afford it, I'd happily live in Hoboken near the PATH, even just to save the city taxes.

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
"Sort of off-topic, but I've seen a lot of Rutgers-N people looking at private renting, does the school not offer residences at all? Are they poor quality? Or is it generally just wanting to be in a better location?"

Actually, when I visited, I met quite a few people who lived on campus or plan too.  I didn't tour them but I heard that the new student housing is "shockingly nice." 

I just feel slightly older than the average student.  I have my own apartment now, my own adult furniture, and just can't imagine going back to a suite with a kitchenette.  It is more important for me to be close to the city than campus.  It is definitley going to cost me to live in Hoboken or Jersey City but law school will be hard enough as is, I feel like I need some place nice to come home to.  I might regret spending the money later on, not too much I hope.

undecided07

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 11:22:49 PM »
"Sort of off-topic, but I've seen a lot of Rutgers-N people looking at private renting, does the school not offer residences at all? Are they poor quality? Or is it generally just wanting to be in a better location?"

Actually, when I visited, I met quite a few people who lived on campus or plan too.  I didn't tour them but I heard that the new student housing is "shockingly nice." 

I just feel slightly older than the average student.  I have my own apartment now, my own adult furniture, and just can't imagine going back to a suite with a kitchenette.  It is more important for me to be close to the city than campus.  It is definitley going to cost me to live in Hoboken or Jersey City but law school will be hard enough as is, I feel like I need some place nice to come home to.  I might regret spending the money later on, not too much I hope.

If it helps you do well in school and preserves your sanity, sometimes the expense is worth it. 

At least that's the justfication I am using for my decisions.
~Loyola LA 2010~