Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU 1L Happy to answer a few questions  (Read 948 times)

2009NYU

• View Profile
NYU 1L Happy to answer a few questions
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:33:39 PM »
shoot

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
Re: NYU 1L Happy to answer a few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »
1. Are you happy with your decision?
2. Which one: D'ag or Mercer?
3. Any impressive 1L summer job success stories?
4. How hard did you work for your grades?
NYU 2010

2009NYU

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:50:59 PM »
1. Are you happy with your decision?
2. Which one: D'ag or Mercer?
3. Any impressive 1L summer job success stories?
4. How hard did you work for your grades?

All good questions.

1. I am very happy with my decision. I applied to schools based upon public interest law- so I am less knowledagble about people who want to work for firms (though I do have several 1L friends who received summer associateships (more on that below)).  I went to undergrad in a small town and I did not know anyone when I moved here. And truth be told, I was scared to move to NY-- but I love it here! NY is awesome, the people at NYU are really cool and I have had amazing professors-- Burt Neuborne for civ pro, christina Rodriguez for Con Law. The Clinic opportunities are awesome and I have received alot of support from the faculty and staff. I see the Dean in the hallway and he stops to say what's up (remembering my name) even though we only met a few times. The QOL stuff you hear is all true in my opinion.

2. Mercer or D-Ag. If you are straight out of college I can see living in the dorms (and in that case choose mercer for the larger space), but if you had a few years off or are an independent person, I would say live off campus. I moved to ny a few weeks before, slept on couches and found a place-- I pay 1700 which is only about 200 more a month than Mercer and I have a ton more space, privacy, and relaxation.

3. Summer Jobs. I know people with 3 bs that got good firm jobs this summer. I know 1ls who got PDS in DC, NDS, Bronx Defenders. I know people who got jjpl in Louisana and Brennan Center. I know people RAing for professors and the Dean. it all seemed to work out and was only stressful for a week or two-- during the public interest law fair.

4. Grades are tough to come by-- it is true.  We curve to a B and it is tough to beat it.  But I think top ten percent of the class is straight B pluses after the 1L year, with it going up 2l and 3l year-- so just remember everyone is in the same boat. I care a little bit but not a ton-- and I figure if i get close to a  B+ average by the end of 2L year I will be in the running for a clerkship though probably not appellate.

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:01:56 AM »
Thanks!

Excuse the ignorance, but I have no idea what these jobs are:

3. Summer Jobs. I know people with 3 bs that got good firm jobs this summer. I know 1ls who got PDS in DC, NDS, Bronx Defenders. I know people who got jjpl in Louisana and Brennan Center. I know people RAing for professors and the Dean. it all seemed to work out and was only stressful for a week or two-- during the public interest law fair.

And are straight B+'s really top 10% in 1L? That's a 3.3 GPA, right? I can see that being top 30-40%, since I figure most people split B+'s and B's, but top 10%?
NYU 2010

2009NYU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »
So 50-55% gets a B or B- (with something like 7% getting B-s) that said-- NYU does not rank so it is all speculative.  However, it is pretty clear from my understanding that people with As generally have more than one and and that people with Bs generally have more then one.  Apparently going across the 6 graded classes over the 1L year, B+s all the way through is 10%; I believe it just knowing mine and my friends grades-- that said-- NYU does not release that data and generally it is just rumor. It could be higher but I imagine we are pretty similiar to our peer schools-- so maybe someone from there can chime in with better knowledge.  As for the jobs.  The whole first group are really good public defenders that are tough jobs to get for public interest kids-- JJPL is juvenile justice project for louisana and the Brennan Center gets something like 1200 applications each year-- you can find them online to read about their mission, etc.

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »
2. Mercer or D-Ag. If you are straight out of college I can see living in the dorms (and in that case choose mercer for the larger space), but if you had a few years off or are an independent person, I would say live off campus. I moved to ny a few weeks before, slept on couches and found a place-- I pay 1700 which is only about 200 more a month than Mercer and I have a ton more space, privacy, and relaxation.

Would you mind expanding on this? Where in the city do you live? Do you have a roomate? How long does it take you to get to the law school?

I've been out of school for a few years, but am seriously considering the dorms...especially because, I'm not gonna lie, the NY housing market scares me!!

2009NYU

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:41:25 AM »
I live in the east village. it takes 15 minutes to get to school walking and I live alone.  I used a broker which is pricey but worth it-- especially if you plan on living in the same place for more than a year. If you do not want to pay a broker I recommend rentdirect or one of other no-fee sites-- especially the ones that give you your money back if you do not rent an apartment through them.  Just surf craigslist and get a feel for prices-- and just remember that NY is about location more than space when it comes to price.

2009NYU

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »
I know a ton of people going abroad-- South Africa, Argentina, Liberia, the Hague, etc. There are about 20 international summer fellowships (i think through iilj.org)-- you can find them by searching the website-- I am not sure about environmental but for sure for human rights. As for RA-- we something called the Docket where Professors post their needs for RAs. I think many people who stay for the summer and RA stay on during the semesters; that said there are always postings in the Dockett. I was able to do a short research project over winter break for one of my professors.

Nizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »
So 50-55% gets a B or B- (with something like 7% getting B-s) that said-- NYU does not rank so it is all speculative.  However, it is pretty clear from my understanding that people with As generally have more than one and and that people with Bs generally have more then one.  Apparently going across the 6 graded classes over the 1L year, B+s all the way through is 10%; I believe it just knowing mine and my friends grades-- that said-- NYU does not release that data and generally it is just rumor. It could be higher but I imagine we are pretty similiar to our peer schools-- so maybe someone from there can chime in with better knowledge.  As for the jobs.  The whole first group are really good public defenders that are tough jobs to get for public interest kids-- JJPL is juvenile justice project for louisana and the Brennan Center gets something like 1200 applications each year-- you can find them online to read about their mission, etc.

The top 10 percent thing for a B+ average is way off.  The median is around 3.2.  Consider that you'd be claiming that 40 percent of the class is between 3.2 and 3.333.  I  have some general knowledge of this from OCI and asking around and such, but consider this:  if you are exactly in the middle of every 1L class, you have straight B+s.

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:32:34 PM »
There's no way B+ = top 10%.  Not a chance.