Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Wesleyan  (Read 2780 times)

hotshot

• View Profile
    • Email
Texas Wesleyan
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:18:01 PM »
What can you tell me? I believe the school has only been around since 1989. However, I visited the school last week and was very impressed. Their median LSAT is a 155 and the school is improving every year. However, reputation wise, I've heard that a lot of people outside Fort Worth have never even heard of it and that a lot of the reason the school has struggled to improve is b/c of its affiliation with Texas Wesleyan University which is supposedly not a very good school. Am I making a mistake going to law school here? The school seems to have a rigorous program and I think I would learn a lot. Please advise!

How does it compare to St. Mary's? Should I got to St. Mary's if I get accepted there?

skeletor

• View Profile
Re: Texas Wesleyan
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:59:40 AM »
I currently attend TWU, and like it a lot.  However, I do intend to transfer up after this semester.

Academically, the school is equivalent to St. Mary's and STCL.  We've consistently outperformed both schools on recent Texas bar exams, so I think the school does a better job of preparing you for that.

The thing about Texas Wesleyan is its newness and lack of reputation.  I would only attend if you don't mind working in Fort Worth afterwards.  Last year's OCI consisted of basically mid-sized Ft Worth firms (and a smattering of Dallas ones) like Cantey Hanger, Harris Finley & Bogle, and Kelly Hart Hallman.  And that's for the top 25%...anything below and you're looking at govt jobs and small shops.

It's obvious to me that TWU will continue to grow in reputation if it continues in its current direction.  For now, tho, I would view it as a purely Fort Worth school.

Nelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
What can you tell me? I believe the school has only been around since 1989. However, I visited the school last week and was very impressed. Their median LSAT is a 155 and the school is improving every year. However, reputation wise, I've heard that a lot of people outside Fort Worth have never even heard of it and that a lot of the reason the school has struggled to improve is b/c of its affiliation with Texas Wesleyan University which is supposedly not a very good school. Am I making a mistake going to law school here? The school seems to have a rigorous program and I think I would learn a lot. Please advise!

How does it compare to St. Mary's? Should I got to St. Mary's if I get accepted there?

I went to their Preview Day a couple weeks ago and was very impressed.  I definitely think they top St. Mary's.  The school as a ton of potential and if it wasn't so young, it would probably be more highly ranked. 

mjohnson6565

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:26:46 PM »
I have been accepted to both Texas Wesleyan and St. Mary's. I have also applied to SMU and STCL. Assuming I do not get into SMU I will be left with quite a choice to make. Do I choose St. Mary's with its strong alumni base? Or do I choose STCL due to its legal market and stellar litigation reputation? Or do I go with Texas Wesleyan a new school that has yet to earn any clout outside of Ft. Worth.
STCL, St. Mary’s and Tex Wes are very close in price per semester and offer similar bar passage rates.
STCL offers a better initial shot at BIGLAW and with it a better salary
TexWes is closer to home, is still growing and hopefully improving
St. Mary’s has a strong alumni base all across Texas, many of the state’s judges hail from St. Mary’s.
Decisions..Decisions

Mess with the bull sometimes you get the Horns

texaslawgirl07

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »
I will be attending TX Wesleyan next year (if SMU does not accept me). I chose the school primarly on location because I want to return to the Dallas/ Ft Worth area. I currently live in Virginia.

mjohnson6565

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »
What are you numbers?

tony2102

• Do Not Want....Rejections
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSRacer2102
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 03:32:16 PM »
I would do St.Mary's over Wesleyan simply because of the huge alumni base that St. Mary's has built over the years in Texas.  They are pretty much on the same level and I think the alumni base will help a little when looking for a job.

mjohnson6565

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 09:08:59 AM »
bump

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »
...just an observation...all other factors being equal, Texas Wesleyan offers way better sholarships than St. Mary's.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »
seems like a nice location.
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?