Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: VA Tech shooting - more than 20 dead  (Read 9689 times)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: VA Tech shooting - more than 20 dead
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:28 AM »
A. it is easy to judge the police from the comfort of your desk
B. we dont know what information was available to them
C. i can easily imagine a situation where the police would think the threat was contained, like if they see him flee from the school, why would they necessarily expect him to come back?  Should they have shut down the whole town?

Either way, there is not enough information to say with any high degree of certainty whether the school acted negligently, grossly negligent or deliberately indifferent.

Reasonable minds can differ about what the appropriate action was.

Regardless, there should have been a campus-wide alert. We warn the entire country with a color-coded alert system every time a brown person shuffles his feet nervously at an airport. Why are we so reticent to warn a campus when there's a killer on the loose?

I can only see the police thinking the situation was contained if they knew, with certainty, where this guy was. I cannot imagine any other scenario where they would deem it safe for people to roam about campus knowing that a dude with a gun was running around campus.

I would like to temper my response, though, and I think you have a good point. There shouldn't be a mass overreaction, but there should be some sort of reaction. Any reasonable person would want to be warned if there was a gunman loose in a place they were. I've had gunmen run around my apartment complex and the police told everyone to remain in their apartments. Oh, and there were police around. I mean, why wouldn't most of the police department have been on campus warning students in a similar manner?

Because 21 men killed 3100 Americans and until today a single shooter has not killed 32 people on a college campus?

You really want to open this can of worms? You say that a campus-wide warning would have been an overreaction and you talk about not worrying about what happens in another geographic location, but you're OK with the terror alert system? That's a country-wide warning system that is largely about threats in isolated geographic locations.

Nu-huh. You make the analogy and I responded with the intent that you understand that the caution did not predate the event. "We warn the entire country ... every time a brown person shuffles his feet nervously ..." because of a concern over that specific event. Until today, we have not dealt with the issue of a shooter leaving campus and then returning some time later. You could reasonably expect that type of response now, but before today it would have been seen as unnecessary.

OK, got it, I misunderstood your point. Bad analogy.

I'm going to follow my own advice and be done with this thread. This argument is pointless.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2007, 12:18:34 AM »

::throws some scooby snacks into thread::
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2007, 12:31:18 AM »

::throws scooby snacks::

::waits for puppies::
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2007, 01:13:53 AM »
Oh my God...This has been the darkest day since I decided to come over to study law in the U.S...My heart is bleeding, I can't hold my tears, and I feel completely devastated to know the suspect shooter is Asian, possibly Chinese. I cannot understand at all how Chinese people, me as one, can be so heartless,inhumane to commit this sin. God...I mourn for all the VT people. Though nothing can save it at all, I hope the dead peace in heaven and the butcher excruciated in hell.

that goddamn idiot is gonna make life harder for the rest of us.  i know for a fact that i'm gonna be getting quite a lot of dirty stares and snide remarks on and off campus.  if i had a gun i'd f-ing shoot that goddamn idiot myself. 
testing testing 1 2 3

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2007, 01:38:13 AM »
I realize this is late and off-topic-ish....

RIP to the people killed by this tragedy.... :'(

At times like this I wonder - is it really necessary to legalize gun possession?

There are a couple ways to answer this:

1) Yes. The constitution says so, therefore we must.

2) Yes. There is no reason not to have legalized gun possession. In fact, most violent crimes committed with a firearm are committed using black-market, unregistered weapons, no amount of legislating will take those guns away from people determined to cause trouble. You can legislate all you want, but there is a point where you have to consider that someone willing to break one law (murder) will likely have no issue with breaking another law (firearm possession).

Ultimately, you will eliminate very little crime, while taking firearms away from the majority of people who use them responsibly for recreation and self-defense.

A study found American burglars fear armed home-owners more than the police. As a result burglaries are much rarer and only 13% occur when people are at home, in contrast to 53% in England, where guns are largely banned. Not to mention murder rates and even rates of violent crime using guns are on the rise in countries with firearms restrictions.

If I want to buy a gun right now, there is a waiting period and a background check. Anyone who gets a gun legally, has hopefully been checked out as a relatively safe and responsible person. I'm not worried about that guy. I'd venture to guess that an NRA member is less likely than anyone else to shoot someone.

I don't own a gun myself, but I can't stand kneejerk politics. If you want to stop people from being shot, get rid of the black market guns, not the legally-purchased ones.
VIP.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2007, 03:31:17 AM »
I agree. I don't think more gun control is going to deter those willing to murder from purchasing a gun illegally.

In fact, tone could argue that this is a good example of why more guns would be a good thing.  If everyone on that campus had a gun, this culprit would not have killed nearly as many people and might have been caught alive.  Of course, that ignores the implications of a society that is armed to the teeth, but that's an argument for another day, eh?
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2007, 05:17:20 AM »
Wow, that site nearly brought me to tears.  It is so much easier to deal with this when one is detached from it.  :'(
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »
Here's what a hero looks like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liviu_Librescu

LSN</

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »
I got word from a friend that another victim died at the hospital. I think the death toll is 34 now.
YLS c/o 2009