Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Section Stacking?  (Read 2851 times)

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Section Stacking?
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:20:30 AM »
The latest Cooley thread had a lot of discussion on this term. Basically, it means to put a disproportionate number of scholarship students in the same section so that the vast majority do not get to keep them.

Do other schools do this? What kinds of questions can I ask admin / faculty to get a lead into determining this?

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Section Stacking?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:37:22 AM »
I've heard other schools do this as well, but I dont' want to spread unsubstantiated rumors so I won't name them.  I'm not sure a school would outright admit this...

Rooster

• Sr. Citizen
  • This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 12:35:19 PM »
I thought your GPA is calculated using the whole class, not just your section?
In ^_^= UConn, UCLA, Temple, Quinnipiac
Out, el oh el= BC, Georgetown, Michigan

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 12:38:04 PM »
I thought your GPA is calculated using the whole class, not just your section?

nope. the grades are distributed among students in each section. Otherwise one professor being easy or hard could advantage/disadvantage certain students.

by the way, your dog is pretty awesome.

careplus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 12:59:55 PM »
you have to realize that at a lot of schools, more than half the students are receiving scholarships the first year, so even if the scholarships students are spread evenly among the sections, if like most schools, only the top third of the class gets to keep it, a lot of them are going to lose their scholarships, its going to be hard to find a section that doesn't have a lot of scholarship studnets in it, so it may just seem like they are stacking them.

jeeshsta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:06:55 AM »
This would obviously hurt scholarship students more than in just the loss of the financial aid, but also make it disproportionally harder to get a higher rank in the class than other students (since it would be against tougher competition).

Luckily, I'm looking at state schools, so even if something were to happen like this, I will either be a resident or applying for residency after the first year anyway and it wouldn't hurt the pocketbook as much.  But still, I hope nothing like this goes on at the schools I'm looking at.
University of Oklahoma '10

watso059

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 12:10:58 AM »
OMG!  :o What some schools will do to get good students but keep their money! I hope this is not the case where I am heading!
Yay (In): Samford, Stetson, Mercer, Miami, LSU$, South Texas$$, Jones$$, Barry$$, Cooley$$$
Boo (Dings): Tulane, UGA

Considering: Jones$, Cumberland, Mercer
Withdrawn: Barry, STCL, Cooley, LSU, FL Coastal, Miami, Stetson

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=watso059

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 10:29:17 AM »
which school was this?
Princeton Law 2010

ShaneFloppier

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 10:52:40 AM »
NYC schools not named NYU, Columbia or Fordham are apparently infamous for this.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 11:01:57 AM »
I know a lot of schools don't require a specific GPA to maintain a scholarship....which is nice.

I remember asking point blank at GW and they said that literally as long as you aren't on academic probation, you keep the scholarship.

Duke doesn't seem to have specific GPA or ranking requirements to maintain a scholarship either...thankfully.