Law School Discussion

Which T2 schools are underrated

Which T2 schools are underrated
« on: September 15, 2004, 11:02:44 PM »
What T2 schools do you guys think arent given the credit they deserve. IF you could add a T2 school to tier 1, which would it be?

Re: Which T2 schools are underrated
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 01:09:55 AM »
In cali, i highly believe that Santa Clara in the bay and Loyola here in LA are highly underrated. Good schools that may not have the rep, but they are solid schools whose grads make bank (100K+ for my friends) coming out. Also in their respective regions, people give their grads props esp. with Loyola since all the media type flashy trial attys ie Cochran, Shapiro, Geragos all went there. Nationally, Tulane, and to a lesser extent American, should be higher. I don't really know why Tulane isnt first tier this year, it used to be like in the 30s for a long time then dropped a LOT. But if you thing of it solely by rep. its a good school (i dunno...maybe they had cockroaches in the library when they reviewed it) Tulane also has a strong base of alumni all over NY and CA, unlike a lot of second tier schools that are soley regional shitholes in like the midwest and new england. Anyways, these would be the schools i would look into esp. if you like w coast.

Peace

Annie

• Do a little dance
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RiotGirl84
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 10:59:57 AM »
I agree with Ronin about Loyola. Great school, I would go there.

katrina at law

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 01:03:26 PM »
American in DC

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 01:08:56 PM »
American in DC

y american?  what is so great about that school? i would say rutgers is highly underrated..

katrina at law

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 02:51:45 PM »
Their international law program is ranked 6th in the nation.  They have a lot of semester and summer abroad exchange programs available.  In addition, they offer a couple of dual degree programs (International Affairs, Justice/law/society) as well as international dual degrees (programs in Spain, Canada and France).  I think American's reputation in the DC area is stellar as well.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 03:19:48 PM »
Agree,
because of american's rep in intl law, their grads can get jobs in almost any metro US area. And in DC, it has a great rep. The location also has its ups since its in a really good area of DC near the embassies, but the actual law school is separated from the college by about 2 blocks north. To the point, i have lived in so cal my whole life and have heard a lot of good things about American and even thought about going there. Have never heard anything good about rutgers (isnt that in like jersey? ug!) so you will have trouble getting a cush 125k starting salary job unless you make it lucky in nyc.

Butch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 11:26:03 AM »
<<Have never heard anything good about rutgers (isnt that in like jersey? ug!) so you will have trouble getting a cush 125k starting salary job unless you make it lucky in nyc.>>

Rutgers is a really good school...and there are tons of nice places to live in NJ, like Montclair or Glen Ridge. They are the SoHo of NJ. 

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 12:13:25 PM »
I hear Chicago-Kent places really well in Chicago, and they have some excellent certificate programs. I talked to the assistant head of admissions at a grad school fair the other day, and I might consider them if I go for free, considering I want to end up in Chicago to practice.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 01:11:26 PM »
In cali, i highly believe that Santa Clara in the bay and Loyola here in LA are highly underrated. Good schools that may not have the rep, but they are solid schools whose grads make bank (100K+ for my friends) coming out. Also in their respective regions, people give their grads props esp. with Loyola since all the media type flashy trial attys ie Cochran, Shapiro, Geragos all went there. Nationally, Tulane, and to a lesser extent American, should be higher. I don't really know why Tulane isnt first tier this year, it used to be like in the 30s for a long time then dropped a LOT. But if you thing of it solely by rep. its a good school (i dunno...maybe they had cockroaches in the library when they reviewed it) Tulane also has a strong base of alumni all over NY and CA, unlike a lot of second tier schools that are soley regional shitholes in like the midwest and new england. Anyways, these would be the schools i would look into esp. if you like w coast.

Peace

I'm with you about Loyola LA, but I am also biased as I am attending next year  :D