Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell Law Class of 2010 (or 2011)!!!  (Read 30756 times)

Above & Beyond

• View Profile
Re: Cornell Law Class of 2010 (or 2011)!!!
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2007, 11:08:56 PM »
I can see your point about staying in the game and I completely understand your concern about the small % of the class pursuing pub. interest/government work (compounded by the fact that Cornell is a small school to begin with). 

Have you visited GW and GULC and talked to the students/faculty/career services professionals there? 

Hakuna matata

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
So, DCB, do you think you'll be joining us? When do you have to let Cornell know by?

Well, I'm doing a ton of reading this week. Old LSD threads, new ones, xoxo (shudder), and all that. Just got my package from Cornell today, so I think I have three weeks from yesterday (the e-mail I got said "Your first deposit of $250 is due 3 weeks after the date of your
letter of admission."), meaning May 7th or thereabouts. I'm hoping to visit Ithaca next week to check things out before classes end.

Seems clear to me that Cornell offers an excellent academic environment and a group of very bright people to interact with for three years. The biggest hang-up for me right now is the near-total focus on BIGLAW I detect at Cornell, particularly NY BIGLAW. I am as certain as a 0L can be (which is to say mostly certain) that I don't want BIGLAW right out of school, and moreover that I do want public sector regulatory work in a federal agency. From what I've read so far, Cornell isn't exactly a feeder into public sector work, so I wonder if I'd be making a mistake by attending over GW. The GW people certainly say so. Plus, I'm well settled in DC, soooooo...

Anyhow, if you think there are things I should be focusing on or if you saw/experienced things at the ASWs that are particularly relevant, please do fire away.

Hey there,
I'm fairly certain that I don't want to go into biglaw either.  What I really like about Cornell is its LRAP (loan repayment assistance program) for people who go into the public sector.  I wouldn't feel financially forced to work at a firm if I didn't want to.  There's this precise formula that they use, so it's systematic and fair, and I think they are even trying to improve it for the future.   Not sure if GW has a strong program like that...

Plus, the dean for public service (Karen Comstock) was very nice, approachable, and helpful during the ASW.  She seems genuinely interested in getting students to go into the public sector and she seems to be very knowledgeable/experienced on the topic.  And she arranges a ton of seminars and symposia on campus to encourage interest in public interest work (great way to network with important people too).  I got the feeling that the dean would be a great, attentive advisor and that I would definitely have a full array of career options, biglaw or not, if I went to Cornell.  You could probably have a chat with her when you visit- I'm sure she'll have better answers to your questions than I do.

They definitely didn't endorse a biglaw-oriented atmosphere, in my opinion, regardless of what the actual stats are.  So we public-service-types won't really be at a disadvantage or anything.

spytfyre1945

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2007, 01:13:30 AM »
As I said in the other thread, full term externships for credit at times of the year when most law school students cant compete for them seems like a great bonus to Cornell that will help you in what you want to do in DC.  GW didnt impress me nearly as much in terms of their career services officers. 

and as for agency jobs you either have A) a fifty percent chance of getting them at any time because they are political appointments, or b) they are published and must be published by law so you will know about them if you are looking regardless of where you are.  The political appointments might be harder to get from Cornell than from DC but I wouldnt be shelling out any money for law school and gambling on a political appointment.  So in terms of government jobs the agency ones are going to be about the same to get from Ithaca, although I will admit having a foothold on the Hill would be nice if you are sure 100% that you are going to the Hill, but agency jobs i dont think you are at a disadvantage not beeing in town constantly as long as you keep up to speed with your current contacts. You better believe I will be sending b-day cards, xmas cards, updates etc to my contacts to make sure they know I am still in touch.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »
Thanks for the LRAP info, Hakuna matata. I ran the numbers on the kinds of jobs I'd likely be looking at, and while the program seems like a fantastic asset for those making ~$55k and less, it won't help that much for people earning more. The availability of summer grants for PI/government work is a major plus, though. I'll definitely try to meet with Dean Comstock when I visit, too -- nice that that have someone solely dedicated to that kind of work.

For those that attended the ASWs, can you speak to Wee Squeak's view about a "more high school-like" atmosphere. I'm definitely *not* looking for that, and I wonder what really drove this impression/how much it is grounded in reality. I saw SugarJ talk about how professors take you out to dinner and are there after class and such, but I guess that doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I could be wrong, as I did enjoy this a little bit in UG. I've been turning my brain off at 6 or 7pm after work for most of a decade and to some extent I don't plan on changing that in law school, aside from the times when doing so is an absolute academic necessity 1L year.

Also on the "high school" note, I see in the admissions packet (arrived yesterday!) that about 30% of the class is at least 25 years old. Can any of you give me a sense of what the breakdown of the 25+ crowd is? My reason for asking is that it would be a very different situation if the breakdown was 5% 25-29, 2.5% 30-33, and 22.5% 34 and older versus a 20%/5%/5% split among those groups.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, folks. As someone has already said in one of the Cornell LSD threads: how did people go through this before message boards? Honestly

I didn't get a highschool feel at Cornell in the least.  Everyone seemed friendly and pretty laid back; the only "highschool-like" thing I heard about was that our tour guide mentioned that sometimes there's drama when law school students date each other.

As for turning your brain off at 6-7pm, if you find a way to work that out let me know - from what I hear from pretty much everyone, that is going to be impossible

Kellyo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2007, 03:53:40 PM »
I will be at Cornell next year! I am currently an undergrad in Cornell's School of Arts & Sciences so here's to 7 years in Ithaca!

kellykellygg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »
I will be at Cornell next year! I am currently an undergrad in Cornell's School of Arts & Sciences so here's to 7 years in Ithaca!

So I guess you like it, huh? So, what's your expert opinion on where to live? Are you planning on Hughes?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2007, 07:13:10 PM »
I want to hear more about Hughes! :)

Oddibemcd

• Sr. Citizen
  • Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »

People who rag on the weather up here should have been around today. This weekend was a great example of living in a place that actually has seasons. Can't wait to be in Ithaca for autumn too.
Attending: Cornell
In: Cornell, G-Town, W&M(w), FSU(w), U of Cincinnati(w), Santa Clara(w)
Held: Northwestern(w)
Waitlisted: Cardozo(w), Michigan(w), Penn
Out: Chicago, Yale, NYU, Columbia

171/3.4

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »
You totally worked for Cynthia McKinney. 

Am I right? Thats my guess judging from your LSN entry. Congrats on surviving if thats the case.

Yup. And no further comment on that.  :)

Senate >>>>>>> House.

Speakin of facebook groups...

Isn't it a little weird how there are no groups for the current Cornell Law students?  Do they not use facebook or something?  Or maybe I'm just not good at finding them...   :D

It's because the wireless internet is blocked in classrooms, thus leaving them little-to-no time for facebooking :P

Is this true? (The Internet part, not the Facebook thing)

I had to correct the comment on no groups for current Cornell Law Students.  Rainwater (LSD member) started a group called "Cornell Rhymes with One-L" - that's unofficially the class of 2009's group.  :P

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2007, 12:33:07 AM »
We should be "Cornell-ian Twenty Ten" or something.