Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just really frustrated about the lack of unrepresented minority at law schools..  (Read 23479 times)

struggles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
lets not blame the prisons, lets not blame society, lets blame the blacks, latinos or whites or WHOEVER

MAKES THE FREE CHOICE TO COMMIT CRIME AND NOT STUDY FOR LSAT!

and jillybean said "in sports race doesnt matter because owners are just trying to get the "best" teams"

well, this should apply everywhere.  our country should have the best lawyers and dammnit, if blacks dont qualify, then there wont be any!    omg this is ridiculous! 
also, there are no black swimmers on the swim team- why? because none qualified!!! tell THAT to al sharpton!

you totally missed the point.  ::)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
ok, first of all how did i miss the point?  i just MADE your point-

too many blacks in the NFL- according to affirmative action and equality, non athletes should be trained to compete and the league should potentially suffer just to make it "fair"

indians program computers, rednecks work construction, greeks own restaurants- its just the way of the world.

by the way, this is your logic, not mine!  im simply outlining "due process" as deemed by the "struggles"
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
lets not blame the prisons, lets not blame society, lets blame the blacks, latinos or whites or WHOEVER

MAKES THE FREE CHOICE TO COMMIT CRIME AND NOT STUDY FOR LSAT!

and jillybean said "in sports race doesnt matter because owners are just trying to get the "best" teams"

well, this should apply everywhere.  our country should have the best lawyers and dammnit, if blacks dont qualify, then there wont be any!    omg this is ridiculous! 
also, there are no black swimmers on the swim team- why? because none qualified!!! tell THAT to al sharpton!

Equating law to a sport was an initial comparison made by another poster.  For you to logically draw the conclusion that the two are one in the same is utterly ridiculous.   The thread is about lack of minorities at institutions of law and you clearly outted yourself (and we both know what I mean when I say that) when you leaped to your reasoning of best lawyers and blacks not qualifying under that status.  The barrier for many minorities is performance on the LSAT.  The LSAT really does not determine one's success in law school and it surely is not a defining factor in whether or not one is considered a great lawyer...regardless of them being black. 

*Resist the urge to show your true colors on this site, or at the very least try to refrain from making ill-thought out statements about the other colors that exist.
Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
dear law dog 07,

im deeply insulted you assume im racist.  i made an analogy, using an example that if blacks dont qualify for law school, why should there be any.  im not saying that they dont.  its hypothetical.  in fact, you can replace black with whites.  if no whites qualify for law school there damn sure shouldnt be any.  and comparing it to sports is justified.  its the principle at hand.  in my area, most of the garbage men are black.  i rarely if ever seen any whites doing this profession.  nothing wrong with it, just definitely a lack of represented whites.  why/ who knows, just the way it is, but i doubt whites are being discriminated against.  its just the way things are. 

also- foot locker in my area, not a single white person in the store as of last weekend.  all black employees.  why?  maybe no whites applied.  maybe no whites qualified for the positions. 

my point is, why do we, as in this country, willingly sacrifice the good of the country to please the agitated.  i am in no way saying that blacks cant be good lawyers- there are Lots of awesome black lawyers and judges out there.  and i believe u said something along the lines that the lsat is not an indicator of how you do in law school?  i think that is ridiculous- that is the measuring tool by which law schools use to determine acceptance. 

i am really floored that you think i "outted" myself by comparing best lawyers to blacks- a statement which YOU manipulated and curved to fit your agenda.  you know very well that it was not in that context, i was simply using a formula to make a point.  if there are no qualifying white doctors, there should be no white doctors.  happy now? 
sports and law are not one in the same.  but the principle behind placement is.  i want you to argue that there arent enough cambodians in the MLB.  or there aren't enough asians in the NFL.  you won't do it because you know that sports are based on qualifications, just like anything should be- why wouldnt you want your team to be the best?  why wouldnt you want your lawyer to be the best?  i bet if the NFL gave me a chance- gave me an extra edge, i may very well become a great running back.  then again, they dont have to because there are plenty of people out ther with talent and ability who can do it without the edge.

anyways, im not going to bite your racist bait, you know damn well what you were trying to do.

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
I don't want to start or perpetuate a flame, but I do have an honest question.

Lawdog07, you said that the LSAT is the barrier for many minorities.  Do you think it is an unfair barrier?  Are minorities somehow disadvantaged from doing well on the LSAT?  Does this disadvantage carry over to non-URM minorities? 

I personally don't know the answer to those questions.  I am a minority but not a URM.  I personally don't believe that these standardized tests can have a cultural bias.  However, if there is something intrinsic to the LSAT that is unfair to minorities is it something that can be somehow rectified? 

Again, I'm not looking to start a flame.  I just would like to get folks opinion on the issue.  Preferrably from URMs who have taken the LSAT who may or may believe that the LSAT is unfair to minorities. 
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't want to start or perpetuate a flame, but I do have an honest question.

Lawdog07, you said that the LSAT is the barrier for many minorities.  Do you think it is an unfair barrier?  Are minorities somehow disadvantaged from doing well on the LSAT?  Does this disadvantage carry over to non-URM minorities? 

I personally don't know the answer to those questions.  I am a minority but not a URM.  I personally don't believe that these standardized tests can have a cultural bias.  However, if there is something intrinsic to the LSAT that is unfair to minorities is it something that can be somehow rectified? 

Again, I'm not looking to start a flame.  I just would like to get folks opinion on the issue.  Preferrably from URMs who have taken the LSAT who may or may believe that the LSAT is unfair to minorities. 

I think the LSAT is a barrier for many minorities.  Reason being that many minorities cannot afford to pay the astronomical fees that are charged for the prep courses or prep materials.  The LSAT does not test your intelligence.  If you can manipulate the test, you will do well.  This is what the prep courses teaches you.  I know people with ugly GPA's that have scored in the 160's on their LSAT.  Personally, I had a good GPA and my diagnostic score was a 148 on the LSAT (even though my GRE and SAT scores were good enough to work for Kaplan).  I took the EXTENDED Kaplan course twice and learned the tricks like the back of my hand.  I ended up scoring in the 170's.  I could afford to pay the $1500 because I am a working professional.  A lot of minorities do not have that option or the finances which leaves them behind the curve...

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
dear law dog 07,

im deeply insulted you assume im racist.  i made an analogy, using an example that if blacks dont qualify for law school, why should there be any.  im not saying that they dont.  its hypothetical.  in fact, you can replace black with whites.  if no whites qualify for law school there damn sure shouldnt be any.  and comparing it to sports is justified.  its the principle at hand.  in my area, most of the garbage men are black.  i rarely if ever seen any whites doing this profession.  nothing wrong with it, just definitely a lack of represented whites.  why/ who knows, just the way it is, but i doubt whites are being discriminated against.  its just the way things are. 

also- foot locker in my area, not a single white person in the store as of last weekend.  all black employees.  why?  maybe no whites applied.  maybe no whites qualified for the positions. 

my point is, why do we, as in this country, willingly sacrifice the good of the country to please the agitated.  i am in no way saying that blacks cant be good lawyers- there are Lots of awesome black lawyers and judges out there.  and i believe u said something along the lines that the lsat is not an indicator of how you do in law school?  i think that is ridiculous- that is the measuring tool by which law schools use to determine acceptance. 

i am really floored that you think i "outted" myself by comparing best lawyers to blacks- a statement which YOU manipulated and curved to fit your agenda.  you know very well that it was not in that context, i was simply using a formula to make a point.  if there are no qualifying white doctors, there should be no white doctors.  happy now? 
sports and law are not one in the same.  but the principle behind placement is.  i want you to argue that there arent enough cambodians in the MLB.  or there aren't enough asians in the NFL.  you won't do it because you know that sports are based on qualifications, just like anything should be- why wouldnt you want your team to be the best?  why wouldnt you want your lawyer to be the best?  i bet if the NFL gave me a chance- gave me an extra edge, i may very well become a great running back.  then again, they dont have to because there are plenty of people out ther with talent and ability who can do it without the edge.

anyways, im not going to bite your racist bait, you know damn well what you were trying to do.

#1  I call it like I see it.
#2  You are talking to the wrong person because unlike other people I understand that the term minority is a number issue and not a color issue.  I work in a pre-dominantly black environment and I actively recruit asians, hispanics, and whites because they are considered the minority.  Are there barriers preventing them from easily gaining access into the environment I work...YES!!!  But since I am not a hypocrite, I constantly work on ways to alleviate those barriers for those group of people.
#3  I am going to ignore the garbage man comment because it just continues to show how ignorant you are.
#4  Have a wonderful day!

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
law dog 07 wrote:
I think the LSAT is a barrier for many minorities.  Reason being that many minorities cannot afford to pay the astronomical fees that are charged for the prep courses or prep materials.  The LSAT does not test your intelligence.  If you can manipulate the test, you will do well.  This is what the prep courses teaches you.  I know people with ugly GPA's that have scored in the 160's on their LSAT.  Personally, I had a good GPA and my diagnostic score was a 148 on the LSAT (even though my GRE and SAT scores were good enough to work for Kaplan).  I took the EXTENDED Kaplan course twice and learned the tricks like the back of my hand.  I ended up scoring in the 170's.  I could afford to pay the $1500 because I am a working professional.  A lot of minorities do not have that option or the finances which leaves them behind the curve...

your logic on why minorities can't ace the lsat is ignorant and severely flawed!  you are making the assumption that all, if not most minorities do not have jobs or well paying jobs and can't come up with 1500 bucks.  in addition, you are saying they are all lazy and do not want to study unless they have top notch classes to attend.  aside from that, you do not need to pay that money to ace the lsat.  there are public libraries littered with materials, online free materials and relatively cheap books on the LSAT at bookstores.  for you to say that one MUST take a kaplan lsat prep class to excel is ridiculous.
Furthermore, plenty of non minority- i.e. whites do very very bad on the lsat.  some of them do not have money either.  although i am a first generation greek (my parents immigrated here in the 70's) i am not considered a miniority because of my skin color- im "european american" and if you look at the definition of minority in the applications, you will see the white box is often described as "of european descent".  that's me, even though i am not from this country per se.  so it is about color for the most part, if not all.  i can, however, self appoint myself as a minority, but they will see right through it and decide that i am white- even though i have dark olive complexion.

second of all, my garbage line was not an insult- it was an illustration and you won't comment because you know i am right about that.  if there were all white garbage men, our state would actively recruit more blacks and asians and what not.  but i will bet they aren't even trying to recruit more whites to the job.  and you can replace the sanitation profession with anything, it doesnt matter, its just the point. 

i hope this time you call it like it is- not how you WANT to see it.  be fair, you don't have to agree with me, but you should see both sides and know that i am not a bigot/racist or anything of that nature. 

have a blessed day

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Yes, yanni is a bigot.

No, yanni is actually NOT a troll.  At least, not intentionally.

No, it is not worth your time discussing things further with yanni. 

Yes, you're right and he's wrong.

No, there's no way he'll ever understand that.

Go on with your lives.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.