Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just really frustrated about the lack of unrepresented minority at law schools..  (Read 22789 times)

H5CS

• View Profile

everybody thinks they're like that. 

<-- No

you're asserting that you don't believe you're thoughtful and provocative?  ::)
On the margins, in revisions, where we both first made our living,
In an alcove filled with sawdust, there a new light fell upon us.
Hail the lepers, call the outcasts, did we just not know who to ask?

H5CS

• View Profile

you're asserting that you don't believe you're thoughtful and provocative?  ::)

You're doing that lawyer-talk thing again.  I worry.

Yes, I'm asserting that Quibbles is never thoughtful and hasn't been provocative in at least ten months to a year. 

well that's true.  but you don't believe that.

i think it's funny when people feel entitled to things.

H5CS

• View Profile
it is.

"Mommy, he took my toy!"

hilarious.

Qui Ju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
She didn't lose her spot to a minority--she wasn't even competing against the minorities.  She was competing against the other white people for the slots that weren't going to be given to minorities.  One of them got her slot, and probably did so because they were more qualified.  

???
Yeah, but because of AA, there were less slots available to her.  That's the whole point.  And as far as I know, after Bakke, schools aren't allowed to use quota systems like the one you're talking about.  In response to a much earlier post by you.... I know you weren't talking about the 14th amendment, but the 14th amendment does apply to state schools, so they are not free to admit people for whatever reason they want.  Of course there's still a quota system, but they're not allowed to call it that.

Sorry for the serious response, carry on everyone.

bakke only applies to state schools.  private schools can do whatever they like. 

well not really, but whatever 14th amendment --> state instrumentalities only, etc. etc. bs state action doctrine.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
::grabs popcorn::

::knows this isn't going anywhere::

::throws popcorn away::

---

I don't think people who haven't worked very hard at educating themselves deserve my spot

That isn't what happens.  At all.

***(1)If you are taking it as some sort of insult to minorities, you are wrong.***

(2)The minorities who get the AA slots in undergrad and law school probably (for the most part) deserve them more than the other minorities that they are competing against.  (3)They probably work hard, but they almost certainly don't work harder than me.  (4)If I don't get into my first choice, it will not be because I didn't work hard enough.  I will be well above the medians for both GPA and LSAT, so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. 

***(5)If their qualification are not as good as mine, but they take someone else's spot because he or she didn't work hard enough or just wasn't smart enough to get high enough scores, I have no problem with that--my spot is the one that I said is not up for grabs. (6)Maybe my statement was not as clear as it could have been.  I wasn't making reference to someone who has not worked--I was referring to someone who has worked, but just not hard enough to be able to claim something of mine.

(1) We'll see about that.
(2) Condescending.  It presumes that minorities never compete with non-minorities.  False.
(3) There's the insult!
(4) While they don't predominate, some places look at more things than numbers.
(5) So you're just selfish...
(6) The basic problem with your position is that you assume that the field is level.  It isn't.  There are circumstances wherein a person might need to work much harder than you to achieve your same stats.  They would then be more qualified.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Qui Ju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
::grabs popcorn::

::knows this isn't going anywhere::

::throws popcorn away::

---

I don't think people who haven't worked very hard at educating themselves deserve my spot

That isn't what happens.  At all.

***(1)If you are taking it as some sort of insult to minorities, you are wrong.***

(2)The minorities who get the AA slots in undergrad and law school probably (for the most part) deserve them more than the other minorities that they are competing against.  (3)They probably work hard, but they almost certainly don't work harder than me.  (4)If I don't get into my first choice, it will not be because I didn't work hard enough.  I will be well above the medians for both GPA and LSAT, so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. 

***(5)If their qualification are not as good as mine, but they take someone else's spot because he or she didn't work hard enough or just wasn't smart enough to get high enough scores, I have no problem with that--my spot is the one that I said is not up for grabs. (6)Maybe my statement was not as clear as it could have been.  I wasn't making reference to someone who has not worked--I was referring to someone who has worked, but just not hard enough to be able to claim something of mine.

(1) We'll see about that.
(2) Condescending.  It presumes that minorities never compete with non-minorities.  False.
(3) There's the insult!
(4) While they don't predominate, some places look at more things than numbers.
(5) So you're just selfish...
(6) The basic problem with your position is that you assume that the field is level.  It isn't.  There are circumstances wherein a person might need to work much harder than you to achieve your same stats.  They would then be more qualified.

haven't you heard?  racism is a thing of the past.  so, for that matter, is pacifism.

okay that last part was a joke, but seriously, all races now have the same advantages.  seriously.  it's true.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
It should have some entertainment value, I hope.  It was meant to be a ridiculous argument.  If I had taken more time, perhaps I could have expressed that more clearly and effectively.  Nibbles and Quibbles must not have taken it in the spirit in which it was meant (or else they just don't like me, which would break my heart). 

You're forgiven if you're being sincere.  I have my doubts, though.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile

This is gibberish and I'm honestly sorry that I read it.

:D :D :D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Qui Ju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It should have some entertainment value, I hope.  It was meant to be a ridiculous argument.  If I had taken more time, perhaps I could have expressed that more clearly and effectively.  Nibbles and Quibbles must not have taken it in the spirit in which it was meant (or else they just don't like me, which would break my heart). 

You're forgiven if you're being sincere.  I have my doubts, though.

you're not allowed to grant absolution.  you overestimate your powers.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
haven't you heard?  racism is a thing of the past.  so, for that matter, is pacifism.

okay that last part was a joke, but seriously, all races now have the same advantages.  seriously.  it's true.

crap.  i totally missed the memo
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.