Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just really frustrated about the lack of unrepresented minority at law schools..  (Read 22430 times)

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
::begins setting up argument::

Where does the cycle of poverty begin?

It begins in education and based on history, but if education was adjusted and the home was focused on education and environment also less focused on other things, then education would and should be the equalizer. Everyone is socialized through 5 major arenas; Home, School, Religion, Government, ??? can't remember the last one. Educationwould work better if the home environment were fixed, but yea poverty starts at the home and with education or lack there of.

::continues setting up argument::

What happens if we fix education completely, and totally?*

*good facilities, 25 students per teacher, safety, extracurricular activities, provide school supplies for those unable to afford them, etc.

(Open to anybody.)

If education is fixed, then more minoriries will graduate from high school and attend college and thusly have higher grades overall, and better scores and a greater percentage of those who try to pursue higher education and more advanced level degrees.
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
::begins setting up argument::

Where does the cycle of poverty begin?

It begins in education and based on history, but if education was adjusted and the home was focused on education and environment also less focused on other things, then education would and should be the equalizer. Everyone is socialized through 5 major arenas; Home, School, Religion, Government, ??? can't remember the last one. Educationwould work better if the home environment were fixed, but yea poverty starts at the home and with education or lack there of.

::continues setting up argument::

What happens if we fix education completely, and totally?*

*good facilities, 25 students per teacher, safety, extracurricular activities, provide school supplies for those unable to afford them, etc.

(Open to anybody.)

If education is fixed, then more minoriries will graduate from high school and attend college and thusly have higher grades overall, and better scores and a greater percentage of those who try to pursue higher education and more advanced level degrees.

Why will all those things happen?

(Again, open to everybody.)
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

struggles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Well, from my point of view there's no true detriment cause by AA. I believe in equality and for things to get closer to equal some get pulled back and some get pushed up. Which, is not entirely "fair" if your not the one reaping the benefits. However, there's a greater good here. Yes, is unfair if some over priveledged wealhty white kid gets pushed out of their spot in school X (if that's even the reality of what happens, and I'm not saying it is). But, that poor black kid who climbed mountains to get there is just as deserving of the spot, even if that means a few less points on the LSAT. If the LSAT can even be used as a good measurement or predictor of a minorities qualifications to go to law school. It will take years and years to change society into one that brings up equal black and whites in terms of education. And small steps along the way help. Its not so much an individual thing, that white kid vs that black kid. Its more a macro picture, there's no detriment to society for giving that URM an extra push, but there's possibly a detriment to that losing idividual....In fact, the more and more URMs that get in push us somewhere closer to a more equal society. Whats on the other side of that coin? there's a few less spot for whites? doesn't seem like much detriment to me.

This is starting to come across as an elaborate flame. Nice strawman there - you got "over priviledged wealhty white kid" on one side and "the poor black kid who climbed mountains to get there" on the other. Are you serious with this?

I'm sorry, but I don't get where you are coming from. Yes I was serious in that scenero I outlined. Because you see in society, the "over priviledge, wealthy white kid" does get into law school often very easily. And if a poor black kid made it to the same spot, he definately had to climb over moutains to get there. So I'm sorry, but I don't see what you view as a flame, thats the reality of it..but please do explain your position because I don't see it.

Ask a White Dude!

• View Profile
I think he's saying that you're oversimplifying people into two categories: 1) rich and white; 2) poor and black.

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think he's saying that you're oversimplifying people into two categories: 1) rich and white; 2) poor and black.

Right - that's exactly what I'm saying. The reason I'm calling your posts flame, struggle, is that you present an incredibly skewed and overly simplistic view of law school admissions and insist that it's right. You can't seriously believe it's that simple.

struggles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Right - that's exactly what I'm saying. The reason I'm calling your posts flame, struggle, is that you present an incredibly skewed and overly simplistic view of law school admissions and insist that it's right. You can't seriously believe it's that simple.

Oh, Ok. Ouch, yes I see your point. It was an extreme oversimplification. I think I feel into that old "go to the extremes to make or break your point." But, yes your correct it was very simplistic and I do understand thats things are not truly that simple.  Also, I think I don't quite have a grasp on what this board calls a "flame."

But, there's more to my argument then just those two extremes.

struggles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Oh, Ok. Ouch, yes I see your point. It was an extreme oversimplification. I think I feel into that old "go to the extremes to make or break your point." But, yes your correct it was very simplistic and I do understand thats things are not truly that simple.  Also, I think I don't quite have a grasp on what this board calls a "flame."

But, there's more to my argument then just those two extremes.

Reading over your posts, it seems like some of what you're saying is sarcasm, or taking a position you don't really have.  I didn't notice at first, but after Ersatz pointed it out, most of your posts seem to be subtly sarcastic, and sometimes they're not so subtle.  That's what he means by flame.  Of course it's possible you know exactly what flame means, and you're just messing around.

Lol, well I had a general idea what a flame was, but then I didn't see what he talking about at first and so I thought maybe I just didn't have the right grasp of it. And yes, there's been a bit of sarcasm here and there in my posts. I think its because this is a hot button issue for me, as I have strong beliefs regarding race, class and equality that I know differ from that of the majority.

cowher101

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm serious about my stance. I follow a lot of sports and watch ESPN often.  They have made some points that I think touch on some of the points raised in this thread. There is always an outcry for more black head coaches in the NFL and now owners are paying attention and hiring black head coaches. And rightfully so.

There are some people who think that AA is reverse racism. Well, like so many influnetial black people have pointed out, its impossible for black people to be racist because we don't have any power. We are the minority. If you don't understand this, its because you're probably not black.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Racism doesn't depend on power.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Racism doesn't depend on power.

It does, kind of.

Racism doesn't. 

The ability to limit or prevent other persons from entry into certain arenas of society does depend on power, however.