Law School Discussion

Just really frustrated about the lack of unrepresented minority at law schools..

I went to visit the school I am going to be attending. And since I am very sensitive to race and equality issues I noticed right off the back that there is a serious lack of hispanics and blacks...tons Asians and East Indians which is expected...It just really makes me sick, maybe if our prisons weren't so over populated with Hispanics and blacks there would be more of them represented in the higher echolen of education. I mean, I knew this was the case, but still it blows my mind.  >:(

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
well then why don't you use your JD to make it so that more blacks and hispanics choose higher education- especially black and hispanic men.

Thats the plan my dear

This is wrong.

• Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
I went to visit the school I am going to be attending. And since I am very sensitive to race and equality issues I noticed right off the back that there is a serious lack of hispanics and blacks...tons Asians and East Indians which is expected...It just really makes me sick, maybe if our prisons weren't so over populated with Hispanics and blacks there would be more of them represented in the higher echolen of education. I mean, I knew this was the case, but still it blows my mind.  >:(

i wouldn't blame the prisons.  they're just a symptom, much like the lack of representation in higher echecetera.

LOL...not blaming the prisons....blaming society

This is wrong.

• Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
LOL...not blaming the prisons....blaming society

meh, not a big fan of blaming society. 

which isn't to say that society's not screwed up.

I kinda agree with the sentiment here. I think it should be easy for minorities to get admitted to law school. And of course, I also think it should be difficult for whites to get in.

The number of minorities in almost every professional job is low...and it really is sad. I know there are a lot of programs (especially by lawyers) to try and encourage black students to consider becoming attorneys. I do wonder exactly what it is that keeps minorities from pursuing these jobs (outside of financial the financial strain of paying for school). I know that everyone I told that I was going to law school (even black people) were telling me why and I couldn't do that...it was a white profession, etc. I think it really is sad that after all these years a lot of minorities still have this mentality.

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
Thats the plan my dear

My dear?? jeez, sexist