Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 423520 times)

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5450 on: September 30, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »
In Trusts and Estates, there are several people that have a 95% market share of all comments.  The percentage and number ratio is even worse in Tax, which seems to be dominated by three people.

The same people who dominated in my tax class last year also happen to dominate in our T&E class. Odd.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In Trusts and Estates, there are several people that have a 95% market share of all comments.  The percentage and number ratio is even worse in Tax, which seems to be dominated by three people.

The same people who dominated in my tax class last year also happen to dominate in our T&E class. Odd.

Surely, it must be a conspiracy to annoy.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

How is that possible? I'm not even in T&E.

You must have misread. I didn't say the same people who skipped 95% of the tax classes speak in T&E. Sorry for the confusion.
U of C 2010

Bathing Jesus

• View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5453 on: October 01, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »
I had no idea some of the 2Ls in here were still posting.  Back on the saddle!

Anyone have any supplement recommendations for Secured Transactions with Baird or Landes' Trademarks and Unfair Competition class?

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
You and I are law firm buddies, Hipcat. Different cities though.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm also firm buddies with you two.  But in the general sense that I will be working at a firm.  ITE, I guess it's a good a fraternity as any.

Do 2Ls have any tips about getting offers?  I'm not that worried, but I would like to sharpen my Westlaw skills or something if it helps.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm also firm buddies with you two.  But in the general sense that I will be working at a firm.  ITE, I guess it's a good a fraternity as any.

Do 2Ls have any tips about getting offers?  I'm not that worried, but I would like to sharpen my Westlaw skills or something if it helps.

Just don't be a weirdo; even ITE it goes a long way.

Oh yeah, and learn how to bluebook. One of my fellow summers didn't know what bluebooking was (apparently at some schools they use something completely different) and the partner who gave her the first assignment was a little pissed with her citations.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Can you elaborate on the wierdo comment?

I plan to be myself.  But I mean the nicer myself, the person who carefully reads body language and says nothing but nice things.

Should I learn about how to do a 50 state survey or any of that?

Also, they offered 11 weeks, but the Chicago schedule cuts into it.  I thought they would be willing to extend it at the back end but they were evasive about it.  (Bad sign?)  Can I take exams early?  Every day on campus is literally taking hundreds of $ out of my pocket.

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I plan to be myself.  But I mean the nicer myself, the person who carefully reads body language and says nothing but nice things.

Also, they offered 11 weeks, but the Chicago schedule cuts into it.  I thought they would be willing to extend it at the back end but they were evasive about it.  (Bad sign?)  Can I take exams early?  Every day on campus is literally taking hundreds of $ out of my pocket.

To get an extra week on the front end, plenty of people schedule their 2L spring quarter so that they'd have no exams. It's usually done w/ a mix of seminars with papers, pre-trial, accounting over spring break, and taking a low # of credits.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

I did exactly what Reaching suggested last year AND actually skipped the last week of classes so that I could start 2 weeks before everyone else. I took 9 credits - spring break accounting (3), take-home exam class (3) and paper class (3) - and managed to get 11 weeks in when I otherwise would have only gotten 9.

Def don't worry about 50 state surveys or any of that stuff (I think you're kidding, right?) and as far as don't be a weirdo... I didn't think this comment was specific to you because they liked you enough to hire you so they must think you're okay, but I've seen a number of situations where people get TOO comfortable after being at a firm (or anything for this matter) after a month or two and they let their interview guard down and start getting too comfortable somewhere. So don't do that and you'll likely be fine.

If your firm is only going to offer 50% of people, there's not much you can do in the way of advance prep to be one of those 50%, it will likely come in the form of performance and interactions this summer in intangible ways that you probably can't even recognize.
U of C 2010