Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 421700 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5440 on: September 28, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Calm thyself.  Save the righteous anger for something really important, like how CBIs stopped having the good lunches.

What sort of lunches do CBIs have now?

Box lunches.  They're mediocre at best.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5441 on: September 28, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »

I thought they always had box lunches. The clear kind or the white box kind?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5442 on: September 28, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
A Box Lunch to Remember.  Color.

Just watched Heathers.  I'm surprised that it's a cult classic.  I thought it was terrible.

Do you think we'll have to turn in the advanced legal writing exercises tomorrow? 

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: September 28, 2009, 03:04:48 PM »
Calm thyself.  Save the righteous anger for something really important, like how CBIs stopped having the good lunches.

What sort of lunches do CBIs have now?

I liked the purple box lunches.  They had spicy honey mustard and terra chips.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5444 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »
Last year, I was always amazed by how the library seemed to be populated almost exclusively by 1Ls.  Now I understand why they were the only ones there.

seatochitown

• View Profile
« Reply #5445 on: September 28, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »
Am FURIOUS about being waitlisted for Con Law III. I already read the first assignment, dammit.

Furious? This happens every quarter to some class, where it is over-subscribed and something else is already in the bigger classrooms. Just show up the first day. Chances are enough people drop it so that you can get in.

Nothing else is in the auditorium, they just don't want to move it. I'm 35 on the waitlist so I have no prayer of getting in. It dovetails nicely with another class I'm taking this quarter (the equal protection bit applies to both), and I can't take it with Stone in the spring because it conflicts with a clinic prereq. If this happens every quarter, why don't they cap the classes? First come, first serve instead of a last-minute lottery. At least then we would know what books to buy.

Yeah, I'm annoyed. Stupid system. And we should take con law as 1Ls, which would certainly tamp down the demand for subject matter-specific classes. I really don't see why we don't. Even E. Posner doesn't think 1Ls should be taking international law, and he taught the damn elective.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: September 28, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
I don't think we should take ConLaw as 1Ls (which ConLaw would it be, anyway?).

In any case, as for the clinic prereq issue: talk to the clinic director in question (if you really do have a good shot at getting into the clinic). I'm in a clinic right now despite not having one of the prereqs because the director was willing to waive the requirement. Although, if I'm guessing right, you probably do want to take CrimPro I with McAdams over ConLaw III with Stone.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

Illini Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: September 30, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »
Are all LLMs gunners? I don't remember that being the case 1L year. Do they eventually have the gunnerishness drained from them?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: September 30, 2009, 05:31:01 PM »
Are all LLMs gunners? I don't remember that being the case 1L year. Do they eventually have the gunnerishness drained from them?

Yes. No.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: September 30, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »
In Trusts and Estates, there are several people that have a 95% market share of all comments.  The percentage and number ratio is even worse in Tax, which seems to be dominated by three people.