Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 416454 times)

finderskeepers

• View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5430 on: September 24, 2009, 01:04:06 AM »
When people say "shitstorm" I'm not sure they're bemoaning the fate of the top 10%. Yes, people who graded on LR have opportunities, but it seems that people with averages above 177 do not.

I know more than one person with 177 average who have multiple OFFERS.  There are opportunities.

Let's not turn this into an anecdotal game, unless there's a general trend of median + multiple offers, which there clearly isn't.  FWIW, I know someone with a 179 average who struck out at the callback stage.

Yes, you're right, let's not do that. 

I know someone with a 179 average who struck out at the callback stage.

Oh wait hmmm.....

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5431 on: September 24, 2009, 04:36:56 AM »

Let's not turn this into an anecdotal game, unless there's a general trend of median + multiple offers, which there clearly isn't.  FWIW, I know someone with a 179 average who struck out at the callback stage.

that's making it sound worse than it is.  that person interviewed at very few places and wasn't really enthused about corporate law in the first place--it probably came through in the interviews. 

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5432 on: September 24, 2009, 07:45:49 AM »
I suggested that anecdotes are kinda fruitless with my 179 example.  There are numerous outliers on both ends of the grading spectrum, and the median, with respect to callbacks/offers.  I know above median types with no offers, and below median types who did well at this OCI.

The 179 person will do well in the long term, I'm sure.  He or she wanted to be a public defender, and hopefully he or she will get that job for next summer.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5433 on: September 25, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
One thing: are you in, or hoping to be in, a clinic at any point?

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer on Gersen/Masur for admin. They're both well-liked professors with very different styles. I would not be surprised to see an equal split there; and obviously no one has taken Admin with them both.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

Illini Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: September 25, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »
I've only had Buss, but I'd go with her for evidence. I'm waiting until the Spring to get her again.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5435 on: September 25, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »
I say Buss for Evidence. I've never heard anything bad about Leiter, but I've heard lots of good about Buss.

Secured Transactions with Baird is a good class but will be packed with smarties - it will also likely have a bunch of B-School kids like his Bankruptcy class had last winter. Baird's reading is typically very light so I think it might be a good 4th class if you're interested.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: September 25, 2009, 11:20:14 PM »
How do we get into clinics?  I'm top 20 on the Employment Discrimination list.

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: September 26, 2009, 12:49:35 AM »
I've got a classes question, too.  I don't think this has been covered.

Is Legal Profession a "save for 3L" class?  I like getting graduation requirements knocked out early, and it fits nicely into my schedule.  But I haven't heard of any other 2Ls taking it this quarter.  Thoughts?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: September 26, 2009, 01:53:19 AM »
I took it as a 2L last Spring. There were quite a few 2Ls were in that class, but we were clearly in the minority.

I don't think there's any steadfast rule about this. If you have an open spot in your schedule, don't see anything else you want to take, and don't mind taking this version of Legal Profession instead of one offered later... go for it.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: September 26, 2009, 02:43:14 PM »
If your preferred clinic is FCJP, there are some strongly recommended classes. So keep that in mind. You could talk to the director of the clinic (Alison Siegler) to get a rough idea of your chances of getting in, just so you can plan this year.