Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 411420 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5420 on: September 22, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »
I am very much looking forward to the extended vacation otherwise known as fall quarter.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5421 on: September 22, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »
I know someone who did Chicago with top 10% + LR + bad-ass suit = 12 callbacks, no idea about the offers.

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5422 on: September 23, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
I have no idea who you're talking about, but I know a girl with the same statistics (minus the suit, I suppose) who had around that same number of CBs, and definiely has at least two offers thus far.

No one can evaluate OCI until we discover whether that second round of CBs and offers actually materializes when people start actually rejecting offers. The people at Skadden told me they were only offering ~100 people firmwide, which was exactly the number of slots they planned on having, and that they'd move down the waitlist one by one as they got rejections. If that's true, some people might not be getting offers until November.

Hawking

• View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5423 on: September 23, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
When people say "shitstorm" I'm not sure they're bemoaning the fate of the top 10%. Yes, people who graded on LR have opportunities, but it seems that people with averages above 177 do not. Wouldn't you all guess that most students have heard positively or negatively from every OCI firm? I'd say the possibility of a second round of CB anywhere is very, very slight. 

I do agree that people will be hearing into November as a results of firms' more conservative approach to hiring. The fear of oversubscription will leave a lot of people in limbo unless those with offers move on them fairly quickly.

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5424 on: September 23, 2009, 06:16:40 PM »
When people say "shitstorm" I'm not sure they're bemoaning the fate of the top 10%. Yes, people who graded on LR have opportunities, but it seems that people with averages above 177 do not. Wouldn't you all guess that most students have heard positively or negatively from every OCI firm? I'd say the possibility of a second round of CB anywhere is very, very slight. 

I do agree that people will be hearing into November as a results of firms' more conservative approach to hiring. The fear of oversubscription will leave a lot of people in limbo unless those with offers move on them fairly quickly.

Fair enough. If you don't have a single callback by now, you're probably in trouble. Still, if you're around median with 2-3 CBs and haven't heard anything, I wouldn't assume that you struck out.

The difference between this OCI being bad and absolutely dreadful will be the number of those types of people that actually get offers. I don't know what the answer to that is.

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: September 23, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »
When people say "shitstorm" I'm not sure they're bemoaning the fate of the top 10%. Yes, people who graded on LR have opportunities, but it seems that people with averages above 177 do not.

I know more than one person with 177 average who have multiple OFFERS.  There are opportunities.

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5426 on: September 23, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
Seeing the gaggle of 1Ls today reminded me of what I once was. Innocence, youth, and paradise: all lost!

Hawking

• View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:57 PM »
The difference between this OCI being bad and absolutely dreadful will be the number of those types of people that actually get offers

This was the point I was trying to make. Finders, there was an implied "some" in my statement about people with 177 averages. We're fighting anecdotes with anecdotes here. I would never say "all" such students have struck out.  In any case, glad to hear that things aren't as bad as my impressions. Bottom line: Uchicago's measure for how well or badly 2009 OCI went won't be the successes and failures, or the number of callbacks, of the top 10%. It will be a question of how deep into the class the OCI firms went.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5428 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
Seeing the gaggle of 1Ls today reminded me of what I once was. Innocence, youth, and paradise: all lost!

I sheepishly ate their leftover sandwiches today.

Bosco FTW, nice.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: September 23, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »
When people say "shitstorm" I'm not sure they're bemoaning the fate of the top 10%. Yes, people who graded on LR have opportunities, but it seems that people with averages above 177 do not.

I know more than one person with 177 average who have multiple OFFERS.  There are opportunities.

Let's not turn this into an anecdotal game, unless there's a general trend of median + multiple offers, which there clearly isn't.  FWIW, I know someone with a 179 average who struck out at the callback stage.