Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 417210 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5410 on: September 17, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »
I heard a rumor that Mortara sets the median at 174.  He aims to separate the future CoA clerks from the posers.  Many people earn 173-5s, and a few hit 185s.

Yeah, so thats not correct. None of those sentences are correct, actually. So... yeah.

What's your opinion about the Chemerinsky book? $50 is a lot of cash but I don't mind if it's helpful.

Yes, its pretty helpful. I never actually bought it (I just used the one in the library as a reference whenever it was necessary), but it wouldn't be a bad idea just to buy it. In hindsight, I probably would have done so.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5411 on: September 17, 2009, 11:21:02 PM »
I heard a rumor that Mortara sets the median at 174.  He aims to separate the future CoA clerks from the posers.  Many people earn 173-5s, and a few hit 185s.

Yeah, so thats not correct. None of those sentences are correct, actually. So... yeah.

What's your opinion about the Chemerinsky book? $50 is a lot of cash but I don't mind if it's helpful.

Yes, its pretty helpful. I never actually bought it (I just used the one in the library as a reference whenever it was necessary), but it wouldn't be a bad idea just to buy it. In hindsight, I probably would have done so.

2 for 2 = me buy it
U of C 2010

oscist

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oscist
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oscist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: September 20, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »
Transferring to Yale doesn't automatically guarantee you more success at OCI, despite what some people in this thread seem to believe.  We have an individual who transferred to Yale.  I recently spoke to him.  He didn't do very well at their OCI. 

seatochitown

• View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5413 on: September 20, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »
Transferring to Yale doesn't automatically guarantee you more success at OCI, despite what some people in this thread seem to believe.  We have an individual who transferred to Yale.  I recently spoke to him.  He didn't do very well at their OCI. 

Well, that makes sense. The main reason you'd transfer to Yale after getting stellar grades at Chicago is because you want to go into academia. Recruiters aren't stupid. But it doesn't matter that much; said individual can get a fancy clerkship and leverage that into a nicer firm job if he so chooses.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: September 20, 2009, 10:42:52 PM »

He's a really nice kid, and I have absolutely nothing against him (I even went to his Regents farewell party), but I would wager that he overbid at OCI.  He probably wanted a few select DC firms that were hard to get no matter where you went to school.

(Although correct me if I'm wrong, and I agree with seatochitown that he'll probably get CoA clerkship before BigLaw, anyway.)

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5415 on: September 21, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »

He's a really nice kid, and I have absolutely nothing against him (I even went to his Regents farewell party), but I would wager that he overbid at OCI.  He probably wanted a few select DC firms that were hard to get no matter where you went to school.

(Although correct me if I'm wrong, and I agree with seatochitown that he'll probably get CoA clerkship before BigLaw, anyway.)

i have a feeling that, at bidding time, very few people understood what a shitstorm oci would be this year...

How's it shaping up? What % of people have offers at this point?
U of C 2010

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5416 on: September 21, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »
Unclear. Things seem to be very backloaded. Every Chicago firm I CBed with said that the earliest I'd hear would be this week. Anyone that looked primarily Chicago is still probably sweating (I think Kirkland's offers all go out the end of next week, Skadden is tomorrow. MBs are rolling, and I don't know what Sidley is doing. The smaller ones should start coming in this week or next week.)

Most people I've spoken to have an offer in NY or DC, but then again, that's a very, very skewed sample, because I tend to only ask people who I know will tell me they have an offer.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
i don't mind posting my info, too.  it's not bragging if you didn't do that well.

I've had 2 callbacks, no news.  One told me I should hear in October.  The other didn't say anything.  I have several more callbacks, but it looks like the offer wait is almost as slow as the callback wait.

I'm trying not to sweat it.  I'm young, the economy will improve.  An orchard will bloom.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5418 on: September 21, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
It seems like everybody is taking longer to do everything this year - good luck, I imagine one of your several CBs will work out.

It really is brutal though. It still boggles the mind that this is our experience and we go to one the top 5 or so law schools in the country and there are 195 of them behind us. And every day thousands of kids apply to these schools blissfully unaware.

I had someone tell me over the weekend that a JD was a "license of print money" no matter what school you go to. Blissfully unaware.
U of C 2010

seatochitown

• View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5419 on: September 22, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »
This is a guess, but I think only about 10-15% of people have offers at this point. People at median or below had two callbacks max, and several people had none.

In Chicago, these stats are even worse--some people well above median had two or three callbacks, and I get the feeling that the same clump of students is going to collect all the offers. Whether that means firms will go to a second round or not, one can only hope.