Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 416649 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5400 on: September 16, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
Mortara/Masur
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5401 on: September 17, 2009, 12:02:48 AM »
What do you mean by "unreasonably" hard?

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

seatochitown

• View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5402 on: September 17, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »
I had heard that Mortara was unreasonably hard...? Any thoughts on the differences between him and Strauss? I liked both Masur and Gersen, so I'm ambivalent as between them.

Gonna d-dub this, just FYI.

Gersen! All the cool kids will be in Gersen, and I think it's a better fit with two con laws, if you're still doing that. Take fed jur with Mortara next year.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »
I heard a rumor that Mortara sets the median at 174.  He aims to separate the future CoA clerks from the posers.  Many people earn 173-5s, and a few hit 185s.

I assume that job searches are going well, considering almost every 2011 student in this thread is on Law Review.  Just don't take it for granted; it's a blessing.  I just had an interview with a firm that clearly had no intention of hiring me, so much so that I didn't interview with a single partner.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: September 17, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »
I'll explain it this way: 

If you are a person who is happy to learn the material on your own, knowing that class will be a discussion of arcane minutiae between gunners (and you probably fit this label) and the professor, and thinks this outweighs open grade deflation, then you might enjoy taking it from one professor.

If you think it is a difficult subject and you would like to really understand it by the end of the quarter through a professor who explains clearly and leads well-focused class discussion, but with less theory, then you might enjoy taking it from the other.

There are people who fall into both camps.  I chose...poorly.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5405 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »

If you are a person who is happy to learn the material on your own, knowing that class will be a discussion of arcane minutiae between gunners (and you probably fit this label) and the professor, and thinks this outweighs open grade deflation, then you might enjoy taking it from one professor.

If you think it is a difficult subject and you would like to really understand it by the end of the quarter through a professor who explains clearly and leads well-focused class discussion, but with less theory, then you might enjoy taking it from the other.

SB: Chemerinsky book useful for Mortara or just the casebook?
U of C 2010

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: September 17, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »

SB: Chemerinsky book useful for Mortara or just the casebook?

Very helpful.  I wish I had been reading it all along.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5407 on: September 17, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
Good tip, thanks. I'm still looking forward the class a lot but I'm not thrilled with the utter certainty of my low grade.
U of C 2010

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: September 17, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »
I heard a rumor that Mortara sets the median at 174.  He aims to separate the future CoA clerks from the posers.  Many people earn 173-5s, and a few hit 185s.

Yeah, so thats not correct. None of those sentences are correct, actually. So... yeah.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5409 on: September 17, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »

Yeah, so thats not correct. None of those sentences are correct, actually. So... yeah.

What's your opinion about the Chemerinsky book? $50 is a lot of cash but I don't mind if it's helpful.
U of C 2010