Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 421059 times)

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5390 on: September 15, 2009, 07:57:33 PM »
Unrelated question: what is the credited supplement for Con Law I—even though I know Huq hasn't taught here before—and Con Law III? Just the Aspen Chemerinsky book?

I've never gotten into the supplement thing. Are they useful?

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5391 on: September 15, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
Unrelated question: what is the credited supplement for Con Law I—even though I know Huq hasn't taught here before—and Con Law III? Just the Aspen Chemerinsky book?

I've never gotten into the supplement thing. Are they useful?

Highly depends on the class.

I think Chemerinsky is TCR if you're going to get one but I've never taken Con Law so what do I know.
U of C 2010

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: September 16, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
If you have good enough grades to transfer to Yale, you'll have good enough grades to work wherever you want out of Chicago.

titcr
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5393 on: September 16, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
So pontus's emails are disappointing.

First, obviously, best of luck to him at the U dub.

Second, since masur's admin class is remaining in its winter timeslot head to head with strauss's fed jur, which of the preferable pairing?

Fall admin gersen, winter fed jur strauss
winter admin masur, fall fed jur mortara
one this year & cross fingers about timing for 3L

I'd do Mortara/Masur but whatever you decide I wouldn't count on anything working 3L year if you're that interested in it.
U of C 2010

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5394 on: September 16, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »
So pontus's emails are disappointing.

First, obviously, best of luck to him at the U dub.

Second, since masur's admin class is remaining in its winter timeslot head to head with strauss's fed jur, which of the preferable pairing?

Fall admin gersen, winter fed jur strauss
winter admin masur, fall fed jur mortara
one this year & cross fingers about timing for 3L

I would take Fed Jur in 3L year, generally speaking. There were a lot more 3Ls than 2Ls in my class. Of course, in practice, I took Fed Jur with Strauss as a 2L (loved it), and will take Admin with Masur as a 3L (Gersen's Admin conflicts with Antitrust).

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: September 16, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »
I would take Admin with Masur this year (loved it!) and FedJur with Strauss next year.  I took it as a 2L, but wish I had waited.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: September 16, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
Mortara/Masur
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: September 17, 2009, 12:02:48 AM »
What do you mean by "unreasonably" hard?
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

seatochitown

• View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: September 17, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »
I had heard that Mortara was unreasonably hard...? Any thoughts on the differences between him and Strauss? I liked both Masur and Gersen, so I'm ambivalent as between them.

Gonna d-dub this, just FYI.

Gersen! All the cool kids will be in Gersen, and I think it's a better fit with two con laws, if you're still doing that. Take fed jur with Mortara next year.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »
I heard a rumor that Mortara sets the median at 174.  He aims to separate the future CoA clerks from the posers.  Many people earn 173-5s, and a few hit 185s.

I assume that job searches are going well, considering almost every 2011 student in this thread is on Law Review.  Just don't take it for granted; it's a blessing.  I just had an interview with a firm that clearly had no intention of hiring me, so much so that I didn't interview with a single partner.