Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 419137 times)

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5350 on: September 02, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »
Alright, OCI is over - what's the final roundup? Things getting better?

RE: Class selection - FedJur with Mortara is supposedly an awesome class (I'm sure Strauss is good as well but I'm taking the Mortara one). If you're interested in taking Secured Transactions I'd take it with Baird since he rarely teaches it and Baird is a great teacher. The only class I would recommend waiting on would be Corporations and taking it with Henderson in the winter. I took 3 Henderson classes last year and enjoyed Corporations exponentially more than the others - he's just really good in it IMO.
U of C 2010

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5351 on: September 02, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »

RE: Class selection - FedJur with Mortara is supposedly an awesome class (I'm sure Strauss is good as well but I'm taking the Mortara one). If you're interested in taking Secured Transactions I'd take it with Baird since he rarely teaches it and Baird is a great teacher. The only class I would recommend waiting on would be Corporations and taking it with Henderson in the winter. I took 3 Henderson classes last year and enjoyed Corporations exponentially more than the others - he's just really good in it IMO.

Thanks for the tips on both of these courses.

Does anyone have or can relate comments on Zarfes?  I am considering his IT Law seminar.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: September 02, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

I had Fed Jur with Strauss, and loved it. I also strongly disliked Corporations with Henderson. Different strokes, I suppose.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5353 on: September 02, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »

Thanks for the tips on both of these courses.

Does anyone have or can relate comments on Zarfes?  I am considering his IT Law seminar.

Zarfes is easy but I hate his classes. I took his "concluding complex bull" last year and it was like pretend time on steroids. He would pass out some 100-page contract and split us into two teams of 20 people and ask us to "negotiate" it. He gave us very little context and it was a 2-hour shitshow until we could go home. Everyone got a good grade but I hated going to that class with every ounce of my self.
U of C 2010

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: September 02, 2009, 08:18:39 PM »

I had Fed Jur with Strauss, and loved it. I also strongly disliked Corporations with Henderson. Different strokes, I suppose.

So so so so SO so true.

My best advice:  figure out what kind of professor your learn best from, and take classes with those types.  I like clear, well-organized classes.  Professors who explain well, run effective Socratic, and assign reading that will actually get covered float my boat.  Classes where the professor likes to go all over the place and raising your hand is encouraged drive me crazy.  Others find the opposite (direct is boring! discussion is fascinating!).

Know thyself.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5355 on: September 02, 2009, 08:57:26 PM »
I'm thinking I'll take:

Con Law I (Huq)
FedRegSec (Henderson)
Trademarks (Landes)
Antitrust (Picker)

Any advice is welcome, but I'm 85% set on that lineup.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5356 on: September 02, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »
I think I'm going:

FedJur
Crim Pro II
Trusts and Estates
Legal Professions

and Food Law if I get in.

The alternative to that schedule is:
FedJur
ConLaw I
ConLaw III
Legal Professions

but I'd prefer the first.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: September 02, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »
I'm doing:

Trusts and Estates
Introductory Income Tax (heard great things about Roin . . . I love very clear, organized professors)
Fundamentals of Accounting for Lawyers (if I get into it through lottery)
Advanced Legal Writing (ditto)

ChiTown007

• View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: September 02, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »
Hey All...I will be an incoming 1L living at Regents in about a week. Do you guys know if the lake shore drive bike path goes all the way down to 61st street? And if it does, does anyone who lives at Regents ride their bike to class (I really abhor the whole idea of constantly needing to "catch the bus" to get home or to class)? Also, is it crazy to think I can ride my bike the 7 miles from Regents, up the shore, to union station  (I will be needing to visit my gf at U of I at least a few times during football season lol)?

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you all!

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2
« Reply #5359 on: September 02, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
I'm taking Antitrust with Picker, and probably ConLaw III with Cox (or Patents with Masur, but most likely ConLaw). Thats it for me, unless I get one of my lotto bids (I'm good with just two classes since I have a clinic and Intensive Trial Practice Workshop giving me four credits). Plus I loaded up enough during 2L year that I only need 28 credits this year. Which is useful because this quarter is otherwise going to be absolutely brutal.

I'm of a mixed opinion regarding Corps with Henderson. I think he's an entertaining teacher... and as someone who doesn't like Corps and isn't especially interested in the subject matter, it was nice having a prof who didn't really require me to come to class in order to do well (god bless his power points). Henderson, overall, is awesome though, so I recommend taking him.

"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."