Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 421162 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
I was surprised by this.

Is that because people think the clerkship market is going to be more competitive? Or what?

For a variety of reasons but mainly that a clerkship is a great way to wait out the job market if you're deferred/no-offered. Additionally, a number of people in our class had no jobs to get deferred/no-offered from this summer, so why not? I imagined ITE that more marginal candidates would apply, even if it was to less competitive clerkships like magistrates, etc...

Anecdotally, I know a handful of people that were almost certainly guaranteed a COA clerkship who just didn't apply this year. I don't know if thats common or not.

Otherwise, lets bear in mind that 25% of the class applies for clerkships every year, which is pretty high as it is. Combine that with (a) the fact that alumni are generally considered to have better chances than 3Ls, (b) people may want to scoop of an expected job offer instead of applying for clerkships, (c) our school has early enough clerkship deadlines that people who didn't expect to get no-offered (but were) probably can't apply for clerkships, and (d) a lot of the people were scared off by Hutch's talk about how hard clerkships are to get.

Basically: I'm not THAT surprised that the applicant rate is the same as it is. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if the rate is a bit higher than normal, but I did not expect it to be A LOT higher than usual. The people who think they can get clerkships will go through the effort to apply for clerkships (and it is an effort)... but the same is true every year.

I was surprised by this.

Is that because people think the clerkship market is going to be more competitive? Or what?

For a variety of reasons but mainly that a clerkship is a great way to wait out the job market if you're deferred/no-offered. Additionally, a number of people in our class had no jobs to get deferred/no-offered from this summer, so why not? I imagined ITE that more marginal candidates would apply, even if it was to less competitive clerkships like magistrates, etc...

Right. Any thoughts on why the clerkship market isn't more competitive this year?

I think the clerkship market IS more competitive this year, but thats mainly due to alumni pressure. The alumni keep scooping up clerkships with judges that are otherwise on the plan. 
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Buffettloogie was absolutely correct.  The number of people with one or no callbacks is overwhelming.  This is arguably the worst OCI ever.  XOXO was too optimistic.   :o

In unrelated news, congratulations to annonymous.  You must be very excited about the offer.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Buffettloogie was absolutely correct.  The number of people with one or no callbacks is overwhelming.  This is arguably the worst OCI ever.  XOXO was too optimistic.   :o

In unrelated news, congratulations to annonymous.  You must be very excited about the offer.

That is one thing I would rather not be right about. But I think a lot of firms are just being more cautious and since OCIs are more clustered this year they can take their time in deciding on callbacks if necessary - especially in light of the news this week about Skadden's idea to do a single offer day (which I think is genius BTW).

And yes, public congratulations of Anon is certainly in order.
U of C 2010

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't think we know it will be worse (or just how bad it will be) until it's all over. It's certainly more stressful because of the delays.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This market has certainly encouraged me to expand my horizons.  I'm focusing more on Minneapolis and Iowa than I would have ever imagined a year ago.

IlliniBoy is right.  We'll have to wait until as late as October for a real post-mortem.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5346 on: September 02, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »
Alright, OCI is over - what's the final roundup? Things getting better?

RE: Class selection - FedJur with Mortara is supposedly an awesome class (I'm sure Strauss is good as well but I'm taking the Mortara one). If you're interested in taking Secured Transactions I'd take it with Baird since he rarely teaches it and Baird is a great teacher. The only class I would recommend waiting on would be Corporations and taking it with Henderson in the winter. I took 3 Henderson classes last year and enjoyed Corporations exponentially more than the others - he's just really good in it IMO.
U of C 2010

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010
« Reply #5347 on: September 02, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »

RE: Class selection - FedJur with Mortara is supposedly an awesome class (I'm sure Strauss is good as well but I'm taking the Mortara one). If you're interested in taking Secured Transactions I'd take it with Baird since he rarely teaches it and Baird is a great teacher. The only class I would recommend waiting on would be Corporations and taking it with Henderson in the winter. I took 3 Henderson classes last year and enjoyed Corporations exponentially more than the others - he's just really good in it IMO.

Thanks for the tips on both of these courses.

Does anyone have or can relate comments on Zarfes?  I am considering his IT Law seminar.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: September 02, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

I had Fed Jur with Strauss, and loved it. I also strongly disliked Corporations with Henderson. Different strokes, I suppose.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5349 on: September 02, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »

Thanks for the tips on both of these courses.

Does anyone have or can relate comments on Zarfes?  I am considering his IT Law seminar.

Zarfes is easy but I hate his classes. I took his "concluding complex bull" last year and it was like pretend time on steroids. He would pass out some 100-page contract and split us into two teams of 20 people and ask us to "negotiate" it. He gave us very little context and it was a 2-hour shitshow until we could go home. Everyone got a good grade but I hated going to that class with every ounce of my self.
U of C 2010