Law School Discussion

MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010

Religion? You can still go to church on Sundays (or shul on Saturdays, or what have you), no?

Says the man who has yet to work BIGLAW.

At my office, everyone leaves at 5pm.

and then returns at 5:01?

Religion? You can still go to church on Sundays (or shul on Saturdays, or what have you), no?

Says the man who has yet to work BIGLAW.

At my office, everyone leaves at 5pm.

and then returns at 5:01?

For happy hour?

RATE these firms (all NYC offices, my only market):

Paul Hastings
Bryan Cave
Dechert
Jones Day

Interested in Lit.

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Depends entirely on grades.  Obviously, W&C requires LR plus top 10%.  They traditionally hire one Chicago kid every year.  The 2010 3L they hired had huge pedophile sideburns and played the trumpet, so I don't know how selective they are in terms of personality once they get past grades.

Covington may be the most selective firm in the country this year -- super safe, super prestigious.  A DC ordinance requires residents to remove their hat and curtsy when in the presence of a Covington associate.

Cadwalader bet the bank on securitization work, a move roughly tantamount to putting all of your savings in Confederate bonds circa 1864.  Unless the South (and mortgage-backed securities) rise again, this is one firm that everyone should avoid.

Mayer Brown features a great appellate practice, with the talent of Stephen Sachs, a young YLS associate who looks like Strahilevitz.

Gibson Dunn seems to hire above median, but not super-star, students.  I vaguely know someone there from my time with the Pit Band.  I think most 178+ students have a good shot, as long as they're sufficiently conservative.  I think ditto for Sidley, but don't quote me on that.

The real question is: Do you really want to work in a city that has 89.1 lawyers per 1,000 people?

Yeah, so I disagree with a few things there (a couple are also clearly wrong).

If anyone is interested in DC, send me an email (I'd prefer not to discuss firms on this board).

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Depends entirely on grades.  Obviously, W&C requires LR plus top 10%.  They traditionally hire one Chicago kid every year.  The 2010 3L they hired had huge pedophile sideburns and played the trumpet, so I don't know how selective they are in terms of personality once they get past grades.

Covington may be the most selective firm in the country this year -- super safe, super prestigious.  A DC ordinance requires residents to remove their hat and curtsy when in the presence of a Covington associate.

Cadwalader bet the bank on securitization work, a move roughly tantamount to putting all of your savings in Confederate bonds circa 1864.  Unless the South (and mortgage-backed securities) rise again, this is one firm that everyone should avoid.

Mayer Brown features a great appellate practice, with the talent of Stephen Sachs, a young YLS associate who looks like Strahilevitz.

Gibson Dunn seems to hire above median, but not super-star, students.  I vaguely know someone there from my time with the Pit Band.  I think most 178+ students have a good shot, as long as they're sufficiently conservative.  I think ditto for Sidley, but don't quote me on that.

The real question is: Do you really want to work in a city that has 89.1 lawyers per 1,000 people?

If anyone is interested in DC, send me an email (I'd prefer not to discuss firms on this board).

I disagree with the following portion of your statement, and all of the preceding statement.

PS: Ask anonymous about DC, not me.

OK, now you may congratulate me on making law review.

I really just want to patronizingly pinch ,.,.,.;.,.,. on the cheek...

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear: my response was intended as a joke.  I realize that more than a couple are clearly wrong. 

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile

I really just want to patronizingly pinch ,.,.,.;.,.,. on the cheek...

Admit it, you read "pedophile sideburns" and did a begrudging, slow nod.