Law School Discussion

MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010

I somehow doubt that a firm would not hire you to do real estate transactions because you couldn't master the nuances of fee simple determinables.   ::)

Bottom line: don't stress out over any one class, it's all completely random.

To be fair: not completely random. But also very difficult to predict. The crucial insight from these posts is to try your hardest at your classes, but not to focus on any one over the other (unless, for example, you know you want to be a real estate lawyer -- you should probably focus on property).

Not random in the sense that grades are like profs throwing darts on a board, but random in the sense that ex-ante it's impossible to predict how you'll do in a course. At least that's been my experience. My best grade over 2 years is in a class that I was convinced that I had gotten a C in. Preparation was fine, went to class, studied, etc... just didn't think I clicked on the exam.

I have the strangest urge to study accounting.  Any classes that might be relevant here?  I plan on taking Tax, especially Federal Income Tax, as I had to research a few issues this summer and found it very interesting.

I agree with Buffettologie.  Ex-ante, it's a total crapshoot.  A friend of mine thought he nailed Civ Pro II and got a 175, and thought he bombed the multiple choice part of Ks, and got a 183.

Every moment that goes by without finding out about law review, I die a little inside.

Every moment that goes by without finding out about law review, I die a little inside.

Haha.  It can't be more than a few more hours wait.  Stay strong.

Haha.  It can't be more than a few more hours wait.  Stay strong.

unfortunately, they told us that they might tell us tuesday.

I know three people who got calls this afternoon, around 1 PM.  It's probably over, folks.  I'm taking the defeat in stride by eating a tub of ice cream and seeing 500 Days of Summer.

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
I know three people who got calls this afternoon, around 1 PM.  It's probably over, folks.  I'm taking the defeat in stride by eating a tub of ice cream and seeing 500 Days of Summer.

Well then, congrats to those who made it!

And congrats to those who didn't as well! (Law Review is a lot of work, people tell me.)

Well then, congrats to those who made it!

And congrats to those who didn't as well! (Law Review is a lot of work, people tell me.)

I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in the legal business.

Religion? You can still go to church on Sundays (or shul on Saturdays, or what have you), no?

Says the man who has yet to work BIGLAW.