Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 418164 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hey MP - could you change the name of the thread to something less scary and class specific?

Hope you're enjoying NYC...or just Becks.   :P
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
What about:

"MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around for a year and other adventures!"
U of C 2010

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
Done and done.

Becks!!

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best. Thread. Title. Ever.

I really hope that you guys set the market for what's going down. We're all being deferred (if we get offers) the question is just whether there will be comp involved.
U of C 2010

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, the comp and terms will be all over the place; hopefully it all turns out alright given how 3L OCI is nonexistent.

To the other 3Ls: do you think people in our class are applying for clerkships en masse? OCS is still sticking by their 50 clerkship limit even though H/P/V etc are all allowing unlimited or close to it. I feel like our OCS is stuck in 2004 and is essentially useless.
U of C 2010

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, the comp and terms will be all over the place; hopefully it all turns out alright given how 3L OCI is nonexistent.

To the other 3Ls: do you think people in our class are applying for clerkships en masse? OCS is still sticking by their 50 clerkship limit even though H/P/V etc are all allowing unlimited or close to it. I feel like our OCS is stuck in 2004 and is essentially useless.

i have no clue. but i do know that a lot of people are taking their (paid) year off. some firms are offering even more money if you work pro bono full time.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

your class will mostly survive, largely at the expense of the 2011's.

I'm damn sick of hearing this.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Not really.

I wish Hyde Park had good bagels.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile

I'm more annoyed that our school has earlier clerkship deadlines than many other schools.

And, oddly enough, my clerkship app numbers have been getting smaller and smaller over the past couple months.  :-\
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

I'm more annoyed that our school has earlier clerkship deadlines than many other schools.

And, oddly enough, my clerkship app numbers have been getting smaller and smaller over the past couple months.  :-\

My app numbers have been decreasing since I settled on a figure a few weeks ago, but I think you're likely applying to much more prestigious judges than I am. Additionally, if you apply to 50 COA judges, you have a shot at 200 spots whereas if you do 50 Dist or BK judges you're competing for 100 spots (many of which are career clerks anyway). It really is a ridiculous system unless you're only applying COA.
U of C 2010