Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 423169 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I did an auction draft for Fantasy Baseball.  I liked it - everyone blew their wad early and I got some great pickups late.

Nelson Cruz for $1!
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
January of 2011?  Nearly two years after graduation?  Wow.

Clairel: can you suggest what to do and what not to do in interviews?

i did a video-taped practice interview and it was really helpful...i learned the "death knell" questions and i got to see my style on tape. plus, it was an confidence boost when she said that i'd be fine.

have a reason for bidding where you are (i had lots of california connections...i bid on chicago as a secondary market and didn't do as well). be enthusiastic and try to sort of copy the interviewer's style; some of them are very energetic and some are less so. be prepared to answer the standard questions: "why did you go into law", "why did you choose chicago", "where do you see yourself in 10 years", "why [this firm]". don't ask about part-time options. 

plus those who are deferred are actually being paid to NOT work, so i wouldn't be too concerned.  ;D

finderskeepers

• View Profile
In case people don't know, the current who worked where list is on chalk

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In case people don't know, the current who worked where list is on chalk

Pretty impressive, IMO.  I'm surprised by how many people are at places like Munger, Wachtell, Kirkland -- and not necessarily all of them on LR.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Pretty impressive, IMO.  I'm surprised by how many people are at places like Munger, Wachtell, Kirkland -- and not necessarily all of them on LR.

There are some great firms on the list for sure--Munger, Wachtell, Kellogg, Susman, Kirkland--very inspiring.

PS: Everyone at Munger is on Law Review.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=934738&mc=37&forum_id=2

XOXO pwns us in the humor category, as per usual.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Just had lunch with Epstein.  Taking questions.

Illini Boy

• View Profile
The more research I do on OCI, the more I realize that I just don't care whatsoever. I have no interest in trying to decipher the various hints on which firms are slightly kind of better than others in various areas, most of which I don't care about in the slightest. Why does this have to be so complicated? I have a tie to exactly one market- Chicago- and that's where I want to work. My grades are almost certainly going to allow me to work at one of the big 4 Chicago firms. Beyond that, I just don't care about the inside baseball who's hiring who/what firm is more prestigious BS.

I want to practice law. I'm willing to work like a slave. What more do these firms need to know?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What are the big 4 Chicago firms?

Sidley, Kirkland, Mayer Brown, Winston?

If you don't want to be subtle in your research -- and I don't think anyone should, considering we know jack *&^% about the law -- why don't you start with the broad "transactional v. litigation" question and go from there?  If you want to do Lit, tell that to Kirkland.  If you want to do Private Equity, try Sidley.

Illini Boy

• View Profile
I'm going to be doing litigation. I don't particularly care what kind. I just know how these interviews are going to play out:

Q: So why do you want to work for us, Illini Boy?
A (given): [Something about thinking the culture is a good fit, or some BS like that. I'll probably mumble my way through it.]
A (actual): "I want to litigate, you're one of the best litigation firms in Chicago, and I'm willing to be an indentured servant for market salary. There's nothing in particular about your firm that makes me want to do cartwheels, but if you hire me, I will sleep at the office two nights a week until I make partner."

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure the firms, if you asked them in privacy, would say they are looking for people who would say like the second answer, but that would be grounds for auto-ding in real life.

What's particularly annoying is that the best places for information on firms are:

1.) Anonymous surveys on Vault that pretty much all say the same thing ("some people said they are worked too hard, while others say that the firm is a great fit!" No kidding.)

2.) Trolling xoxohth, which makes me second-guess my wanting to ever become a lawyer, not because of the relentless pessimism, but because if those are the types of people that represent the average law student, I'm going to really hate my life.