Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 423743 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where are people going for Spring Break?

I'm spending the weekend after this one in New York.  I also think I'm going to try to go up to WI to get some fresh air.

i'm going home to california. it's free (i can guilt-trip my parents into paying for the plane ticket) and i can wear flip-flops all the time. i should also, um, trying to develop a thesis for my last substantial.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Taking Crim Pro in Florida FTW.  You should try to find a law library.

finderskeepers

• View Profile

I'm spending the weekend after this one in New York.  I also think I'm going to try to go up to WI to get some fresh air.

lol at WI

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Spending a few days at the Wynn. The usual.

Wally is back?

Did I ever leave?

What's Wynn?

Also, lol at finderskeepers.

seatochitown

• View Profile
property exam FTL. i had my suspicions about AP when i saw that there was no statute of limitations in the instructions like there was on the exam last year, but i am still sad.

wailing wall fact pattern was kind of ingenious, though. i'll bet strahi is fairly chuffed.

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't care, I'll talk about it. I feel like the Strahilevitz section really threw me for a loop. I mean nothing about AP, or future interests or life estates or whatever, or did i totally miss stuff?

I should have studied copyrights harder. damn.

Wait, did you miss the RAP issue, then?

You're being a silly goose. A silly goose.  :D
University of Chicago '11

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Super nervous for BK, old exams are scaring the crap out of me. One hour to go and then I can commit to failing studying Securities.

Next quarter I'm either taking BK with Picker or Securities with Miles.  Any thoughts?

Also, anyone know if we can do take homes on the makeup day?  I was planning to take crim pro Saturday, but I'm having trouble getting started studying.

Securities is awfully boring - think of Tax on steroids. As far as a subject matter, BK is MUCH better but I can't vouch for Picker's style (don't know either way). Also, knowing the firm you're going to - BK might be a good thing to learn.

BK exam wasn't that bad, just like the practice ones. Long.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
No duty without affirmative act except if there's an emergency involving physical harm?  I guess making exceptions doesn't really work when you're trying to find things in common though.

I can do that.

Also, I'm currently reading a Levmore outline in which the poor 2L actually briefed all of Levmore's non-class cases.  To make matters worse, this poor soul bothered to understand the book's reasoning, and omitted everything that Levmore said in class.   :o

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Sorry about the law question, but I'm relatively sure that other LSDers are working on this, or something like it, right now:

So there's an affirmative act section in the "Special Duties" unit of Gersen's class, but these affirmative acts make no sense.  What do these five cases have in common?

Yania v. Bagin
Weirum v. RKO Radio
Globe Malleable Iron
Soldano v. O’Daniels
Stangle v. Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co.

I dunno.  Anyone know?  Am I just supposed to spot a "I have to use the phone . . . someone's about to kill me!" fact on the exam?

Non-Chicago here, but I recognize Weirum and, for reasons unrelated to 1L curriculum, know it very well.  I bet Weirum (and I vaguely remember Yania) stand for the notion that there's no duty to save someone unless you affirmatively act by creating the risk.  I think Yania dealt with something like this.

Having not taken what seems to be a rather eccentric Professor, though, this could be completely wrong.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Having not taken what seems to be a rather eccentric Professor, though, this could be completely wrong.

To be fair,

Gersen isn't eccentric. His torts views are pretty standard. (He is an awesome prof.)