Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 411350 times)

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Super nervous for BK, old exams are scaring the crap out of me. One hour to go and then I can commit to failing studying Securities.

Next quarter I'm either taking BK with Picker or Securities with Miles.  Any thoughts?

Also, anyone know if we can do take homes on the makeup day?  I was planning to take crim pro Saturday, but I'm having trouble getting started studying.

Securities is awfully boring - think of Tax on steroids. As far as a subject matter, BK is MUCH better but I can't vouch for Picker's style (don't know either way). Also, knowing the firm you're going to - BK might be a good thing to learn.

BK exam wasn't that bad, just like the practice ones. Long.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
No duty without affirmative act except if there's an emergency involving physical harm?  I guess making exceptions doesn't really work when you're trying to find things in common though.

I can do that.

Also, I'm currently reading a Levmore outline in which the poor 2L actually briefed all of Levmore's non-class cases.  To make matters worse, this poor soul bothered to understand the book's reasoning, and omitted everything that Levmore said in class.   :o

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Sorry about the law question, but I'm relatively sure that other LSDers are working on this, or something like it, right now:

So there's an affirmative act section in the "Special Duties" unit of Gersen's class, but these affirmative acts make no sense.  What do these five cases have in common?

Yania v. Bagin
Weirum v. RKO Radio
Globe Malleable Iron
Soldano v. O’Daniels
Stangle v. Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co.

I dunno.  Anyone know?  Am I just supposed to spot a "I have to use the phone . . . someone's about to kill me!" fact on the exam?

Non-Chicago here, but I recognize Weirum and, for reasons unrelated to 1L curriculum, know it very well.  I bet Weirum (and I vaguely remember Yania) stand for the notion that there's no duty to save someone unless you affirmatively act by creating the risk.  I think Yania dealt with something like this.

Having not taken what seems to be a rather eccentric Professor, though, this could be completely wrong.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Having not taken what seems to be a rather eccentric Professor, though, this could be completely wrong.

To be fair,

Gersen isn't eccentric. His torts views are pretty standard. (He is an awesome prof.)

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sorry about the law question, but I'm relatively sure that other LSDers are working on this, or something like it, right now:

So there's an affirmative act section in the "Special Duties" unit of Gersen's class, but these affirmative acts make no sense.  What do these five cases have in common?

Yania v. Bagin
Weirum v. RKO Radio
Globe Malleable Iron
Soldano v. O’Daniels
Stangle v. Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co.

I dunno.  Anyone know?  Am I just supposed to spot a "I have to use the phone . . . someone's about to kill me!" fact on the exam?

I am so glad that I have no idea what any of those cases mean. Before nerfco said something I didn't know if it was Levmore or Gersen.

One more exam - I can't wait for this quarter to be over.
U of C 2010

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
I am so glad that I have no idea what any of those cases mean. Before nerfco said something I didn't know if it was Levmore or Gersen.

One more exam - I can't wait for this quarter to be over.

Just to be clear, I don't recall any of these cases, and I only knew it was Gersen because the message says something about Gersen in it.

Affirmative acts was like one or two days more than a year ago. I'd be more concerned if you remembered.

seatochitown

• View Profile
I wouldn't worry overmuch about Globe. The thing to note with that case is the slippage of the notion of "public duty," which usually means no liability.

Yania represents the background CL rule--"a double dog dare does not a duty make"--which courts like to fudge. Weirum is a good exception to the no duty rule because the D increased the underlying risk to Ps AND, more importantly, it created a brand-new risk as to bystanders re: reckless driving. It's a not otherwise deterred case, to import some Levmore into first quarter.

Re: Soldano. I think the fact that O'Daniels owned both the saloon where the threat was issued and the restaurant where the help was requested is more important than the fact that there was a physical threat. (Cf. Stangle.) But I could be wrong.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
UCONN/Syracuse! Double OT! FedJur tomorrow at 9am!
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
UCONN/Syracuse! Double OT! FedJur tomorrow at 9am!

Triple overtime! Jeez.

I swear they're doing this to me on purpose.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Quadruple overtime.

Sigh.