Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 420203 times)

merle

• View Profile
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battere
« Reply #4580 on: February 24, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »

I don't really know much about his scholarship, but I have heard people say good things about his class. Too bad he could only stay for winter quarter (he's going to Portugal on a Fulbright).

His lunch talk seemed sorta tedious. But he is a super-nice guy.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4581 on: February 25, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »
We probably need more info on the clerkships/govt/firms thing. For clerkships, are you talking appellate or district? For government: DOJ or USAO (actually, we do pretty damn good for both)? And for firms, which city?

"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4582 on: February 25, 2009, 12:58:49 PM »
Clerkship: anything federal...possibly a state supreme court in Oregon or Washington

Clerkships are an odd bird, and your successes will often depend on a lot of intangible factors (such as, well, luck). That being said, grades are the strongest indicator of whether you'll get a clerkship or not. Its hard to pin down actual chances, but suffice to say that Chicago does better than almost any other school in terms of clerkship placement.

State Supreme, on the other hand, is significantly easier coming out of Chicago. But I think a strong requirement for those is a connection to the state in question.

Govt: FBI/CIA/DHS/DOJ - I'm interested in anything relating to national security or intelligence.

I can't speak about the FBI, CIA, or DHS (although I do have a couple classmates who worked at DHS prior to coming to law school), but we have a great track record when it comes to the DOJ, both for career attorneys and for political appointees.

Firms: DC, Virginia, North Carolina, Oregon, Washington

The only market I can speak for is DC, which is where I'm heading.

DC is one of the grade-snobbiest markets out there, but there are also a lot of firms. And very few of them have been hit hard by the current economic situation (if anything, I'd say work has picked up at DC firms). I know this year students didn't seem to have any problems with DC. And while I can't speak for everyone, I was really happy with how my OCI process came out.

Sorry for the lack of details, but its hard to answer general questions like this.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

Randy Savage

• Oooooh yeah.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RippdDude142
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4583 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »
Hey UC peeps. I'm a T25 1L considering transferring to Chicago (I know I have to get in first..). Anybody want to chime in on the pros/cons of Chicago? I'm specifically curious about how people in the middle of the class do for clerkships/govt jobs/firms jobs. Also, are any of you transfers or know any transfers and would be willing to share relevant experiences/stories? Any and all comments are welcome of course. Thanks.

If you're in shape to transfer out of a T25 that means you're in shape to get a market-wage job there. Is coming to Chicago worth paying upwards of $100,000? No! It's not like we have brand recognition like Harvard or Yale.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
*Crickets chirping*

There's a lot of 1Ls around carrying hornbooks, and other non-required-textbook materials. You guys are so studious. It's almost inspiring.

On that note, I am penciling in a Friday start to my studying. It gets harder each passing quarter to try to study for quarters.

titcr. oops at my lack of studying.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
I still can't believe buffet has somehow managed to schedule a 6 day weekend next quarter. Thats insane.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I still can't believe buffet has somehow managed to schedule a 6 day weekend next quarter. Thats insane.

I know.  I was impressed with my four-day weekend.  :(
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

Thank you, thank you.  :) You too, can have a 6-day weekend.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Starting today, I'm going to stay as far away from the Law School as possible, with the obvious exceptions of exams.  I really can't handle everyone's stress, especially in that terrible, anxiety-producing podium rush we had today at the end of class.  Levmore himself refused to answer any questions after the first three because he said, "We're just stressing ourselves out."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Yeah, I often do the same thing when finals rolls around. Avoid the law school, that is, not rush the podium (which doesn't make sense from what I have heard about Levmore's exams: either you get it or you don't, a couple extra questions probably won't help... but I didn't have Levmore so what do I know?).

If you absolutely have to be in a library to study (which I sometimes do, because being at home makes me want to do other, more productive tasks like sleep), Crerar's actually not that bad.

Certainly better than Regenstein and their swastika carrels. Although Regenstein is great if you want to be so miserable that you quickly finish your work and get the hell out of that horrible place (so its better for writing a paper).