Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 420992 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4560 on: February 23, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
At the request of several posters, I've transferred the previous posts to the section of the board unavailable to public view without an account.  If there's a consensus that they should be completely deleted then just let me know and we'll make it so.

If I may offer a small suggestion: it is generally wise to avoid discussing confidential/personal information on any message board, especially one involving the tight knit legal community.

Criticism of the law school musical and the subsequent, overblown "It's inconsiderate to call a spade a spade," outcry are worthy of censorship? LSD is like Autoadmit's Mormon cousin.

i'm actually curious as to whether wally's initial post or the subsequent responses were deemed "hatorade". at this point it's over, but wally should know that he's not nearly as anonymous on this forum as he thinks. seriously, if you must vent about universally approved subjects and/or people, like the musical or strauss, there basically is no anonymous forum to do so on the internet that i'm aware of (besides a private online journal). a bunch of people who never post are aware of lots of our identities. so i still think being overly-cautious is best...

Randy Savage

• Oooooh yeah.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RippdDude142
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4561 on: February 23, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
I'm concerned that the censorship was at the request of several posters. That doesn't do much for our stick-up-the-ass reputation.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4562 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »
Bosco, what is an SFLSDer?

U of C 2010

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
*eats a french fry*

Fascinating side-conversations at the school have resulted from this.
University of Chicago '11

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »
Yes. But then again I don't get out much.

Does anyone know anything about Huq (aside from being at NYU)? I'm considering Legislation next quarter, but apparently he's never taught. Something about big fat question marks terrifies me.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4565 on: February 23, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »
:: still doesn't know what SFLSD is, continues to rack brain::

please tell about side conversations
U of C 2010

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: February 23, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »
Oh, just stuff about blameworthiness, self-control, determinancy, ostracism, and other such jazz. You have to elevate the topic material or it becomes dull quick.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:29 PM »
I'm concerned that the censorship was at the request of several posters. That doesn't do much for our stick-up-the-ass reputation.

One of the SFLSDers reported because his name was posted, which was obviously the right thing to do.  I think that's why it got haterated, although that's weird because his name was deleted pretty quick.  And I imagine there's a pretty good chance burning sands is lying about several people complaining. 

Hey don't look at me, I just work here.   :P

For the record we (the mods) received about 6 (six) different requests about that particular convo. Trust me when I say I have absolutely no dog in this fight and no reason to make this stuff up.  As far as I'm concerned, if you guys wanna talk about each other's personal lives by all means, be my guest.  

FYI: If one person complained it could possibly be skipped over depending on the circumstances, but whenever several complaints come in about the same thread our hands are forced.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: February 23, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
Yes. But then again I don't get out much.

Does anyone know anything about Huq (aside from being at NYU)? I'm considering Legislation next quarter, but apparently he's never taught. Something about big fat question marks terrifies me.

I'm actually pretty sure I'm going to take Legislation next quarter (that or Patents with Masur). Are you sure he's never taught before? I thought he was a Lecturer at NYU, as well as having a role at the Brennan Center.

Anyway, the only stuff I've heard about Huq is second-hand and more about his reputation than his teaching abilities... but all of that has been stellar.

But I found some videos of him on youtube and now I'm not so sure about the in-class experience:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=aziz+huq

You can always go to both Legislation and another elective during the first week and then choose which one you like more (at least I think 1Ls can do this, as I know 2L/3Ls can).

I wish I had taken Legislation with Gersen last year.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Perhaps he has lectured, but NYU's website listed him as merely the director (?) of the Brennan Center. If he has some experience, I'd feel better. And I did not know about the sit-in and switch policy. I'll have to see whether 1Ls can do that. Part of the problem is that none of the other classes really interests me, even given the impressive lineup of professors.

And, yes, Gersen...sigh...'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.