Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 422648 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4550 on: February 19, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »
I like how the LSA email tries to say "Watch out for roofies" without actually saying it explicitly.

i think there was some incident at bar review at some point...but i don't think it was a law student?

There was an incident at last year's Party of the First Part, no? Or last year's Over the Hump? I seem to remember it was at an LSA-sponsored event, not just a bar review.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

finderskeepers

• View Profile
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4551 on: February 19, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »
haha now I'm just confused.  Do we agree or disagree?  Or am I totally missing your point?  I think that part of being successful in the real world is being able to effectively handle stress, so I think that if that's the justification for grade inflation or moving to a P=HP grading system it's not a good one.

I think we agree? To clarify, I think that "reducing stress" is the reason for instituting a P/HP grading system. But I also think (as you seem to) that it's not a particularly compelling reason for changing it, because of the "part of being successful in the real world" reason you raise.

It seems like we agree.  But didn't you say you were in favor of grade reform?

blueman123

• View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: February 19, 2009, 08:10:03 PM »
Does anyone know when we should hear back regarding the clinic interviews?

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4553 on: February 19, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »
I don't like hiding the ball and trying to confuse employers.

That's the thing that I think is weird. It seems like a slippery slope that once you start down you can't stop. For example, if I had graduated in 08 and was coming back to interview here I would think that a 180 in LRW was impressive, not just the new median that it seems to be. It works for a few years but eventually the comparative advantage goes away because when someone who graduates in 11 does it, the median has to move to 182 in order to get the same effect. We could just cut out the crap and have ungraded LRW like everyone else rather than grade it, but making the grade completely out of sync with all other grades seems like an odd approach.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:25 PM »
It seems like we agree.  But didn't you say you were in favor of grade reform?

Well, the lower-stress rationale is a fairly parochial reason in favor of grade reform that I agree is probably self-defeating for students' interests in the long run insofar as it may foster bad study habits (although this is empirically debatable; I tend to agree, but how likely is it really that the Type A studiers who are at this school will have their study habits atrophy by a few years of flattened grade distribution?). In the short run, however, it's beneficial insofar as people don't have to worry about the 179/180 line (or the 175/174 line, or whatever). I don't think there's a huge competitiveness problem at the school, but a good deal of my classmates are unwarranted in how high-strung they are.

On the other hand, per sillyberry, the job prospects rationale more strongly supports grade reform. At this level, why create artificial distinctions, so long as those students who are extra-intrinsically motivated (or extrinsically motivated by the possibility of, say, high pass, or LR, or clerkship, or whatever the brass ring du jour is) will be rewarded for crossing that threshold. Once you're at the U of C, though, I don't see the reason to create those distinctions if people are doing passable work.

As a caveat to all this, my educational history is littered with alternative grading systems, so I'm not fundamentally skeptical toward the idea. I'm also not looking to go into a big firm job, so I don't really care about how I'm going to convince Cravath that I'm the one for them.

Psh.  Nobody I know is high-strung at all.

::crams for Crim so he can take the mid-term under real conditions::

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: February 19, 2009, 11:32:54 PM »
Well, the lower-stress rationale is a fairly parochial reason in favor of grade reform that I agree is probably self-defeating for students' interests in the long run insofar as it may foster bad study habits (although this is empirically debatable; I tend to agree, but how likely is it really that the Type A studiers who are at this school will have their study habits atrophy by a few years of flattened grade distribution?).

I think it probably has pretty pretty significant effects.  Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but in my 8 combined years of high school and undergrad, I went to very grade-inflated institutions.  I held down a 3.5 with very minimal effort both places.  One contributing factor was probably that I was a Philosopy major and, at least in our department, it was really hard to get above an A- or below a B.  One of my classmates got an A- on a paper that was published in a national journal (there were no A papers in that class), and I've turned in half-baked crap covered with grammatical flaws and gotten a B-.  At least for me, the marginal effort hasn't been worth the marginal benefit for me to actually put my back into my education.

One of my explicit reasons for applying here ED was that the strict curve would not allow me to skate by anymore.  If people are going to pay me what it seems like they're going to be paying me, I want to make a decent showing of being worth the money.  And I wouldn't get there without short-term carrots and sticks to discipline me. 

Again, I might be the exception here, but I really wanted the curve.  If nothing else, a little product differentiation never hurt the marketplace.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: February 22, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »
Yeah, I also think the Bulls make it.

I don't think the Celtics will have enough in the tank to make it back to the finals. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're out in the second round.

I know its a little corny, but given the bleh-ness of the league this year, I wouldn't mind a Lakers/Cavs finals. That series would at least have the potential for greatness.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: February 22, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »
At the request of several posters, I've transferred the previous posts to the section of the board unavailable to public view without an account.  If there's a consensus that they should be completely deleted then just let me know and we'll make it so.

If I may offer a small suggestion: it is generally wise to avoid discussing confidential/personal information on any message board, especially one involving the tight knit legal community.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: February 23, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »
So what seminars is everyone bidding on?

Randy Savage

• Oooooh yeah.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RippdDude142
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4559 on: February 23, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
At the request of several posters, I've transferred the previous posts to the section of the board unavailable to public view without an account.  If there's a consensus that they should be completely deleted then just let me know and we'll make it so.

If I may offer a small suggestion: it is generally wise to avoid discussing confidential/personal information on any message board, especially one involving the tight knit legal community.

Criticism of the law school musical and the subsequent, overblown "It's inconsiderate to call a spade a spade," outcry are worthy of censorship? LSD is like Autoadmit's Mormon cousin.