Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 421777 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4350 on: December 22, 2008, 07:03:29 PM »
According to Henderson's Twitter, the average length of the Corporations exam was 17 pages.

I am so royally screwed.

I guarantee you didn't write less than me, so don't worry.

1,980.  Can you beat that?
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UChicago Class of 2010: "Limping Towards the Finish Line Bruised and Battered"
« Reply #4351 on: December 22, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »
According to Henderson's Twitter, the average length of the Corporations exam was 17 pages.

I am so royally screwed.

1283  :o

What does Henderson say? Something like short and right is better than long and right, to say nothing of long and wrong. As long as your 1283 was all right, then you're in good shape.
U of C 2010

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: December 22, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »

I am so royally screwed.

What does Henderson say? Something like short and right is better than long and right, to say nothing of long and wrong. As long as your 1283 was all right, then you're in good shape.

He never said anything about short and wrong though...

Okay, you win.  I feel better.  Thanks!   :D

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4353 on: December 22, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »

I am so royally screwed.

He never said anything about short and wrong though...

Fair enough... as long as you rocked Tax then you're in good shape :)

(This is very tongue in cheek because I know Tax rocked my world as well - capital gains, what capital gains?)
U of C 2010

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4354 on: December 22, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
Definitely true here.
U of C 2010

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: December 22, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »
I have no idea how an answer can be long and wrong.  I mean, as long as the BLL/issues are on point, and you analyze for pages, it's gotta be win-win, no?

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: December 22, 2008, 08:51:03 PM »
I have no idea how an answer can be long and wrong.  I mean, as long as the BLL/issues are on point, and you analyze for pages, it's gotta be win-win, no?

There can be long answers that are full of rambling bull.  Long can mean you have no idea what to say and thus are throwing anything you can think of into the exam.  Maybe you get some stuff correct, but maybe you get more wrong.

Some professors have a really big problem with the "kitchen sink" approach.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: December 22, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »
No idea what to say?  Like no idea?  You can't bracket a single issue -- say, adverse possession or whether there was a gift -- and discuss it at length?

I guess.  You're all 2Ls, so you know this better than I do, but I would be surprised if such an exam existed.  It would have to be really clueless, and then, if anything, I imagine that some points would still be on the money and put you somewhere nice on the curve.  If professors want to avoid kitchen sink, they should stipulate a word limit, like Levmore does on his portions of those Torts exams.

::kitchens sinks every exam but Strauss's::

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: December 22, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »
There are people who have been to maybe 2 classes all quarter and have done minimal reading.

So you see a fact pattern and go "oh *&^%."  You have to spend a significant amount of time trying to figure out what anything means.  You waste a lot of time reading the outline you got from BLSA.  You start typing random crap, but don't really know the details of the caselaw.  Maybe the issue you happen to know a lot about barely makes an appearance on the exam (if it makes an appearance at all).  So you try throwing something, anything, in your exam, hoping if you throw stuff in there something might stick.  It might not.  Many professors don't give a word limit, but do say they like concise answers.  They respect the student enough to do what they think is best on an exam, but if there are a lot of words they hope that the words are well-chosen as opposed to word vomited.

I'm not saying this happens all the time, but it is possible to be long and wrong.  So, yes, we do know better than you.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: December 23, 2008, 12:56:54 AM »
 :D  Something tells me you'll be fine.  There's gotta be someone who went to only one class.