Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 422320 times)

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2010: "We Sh!t Rigor"
« Reply #3760 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »
Last night I dreamed I got a 160 on the Property exam and a 165 on Crim.  They actually mailed me my grades because they didn't want me to think there was transcribing error and I didn't actually do that poorly.

There was also a handwritten note that added "in all my time at UChicago I have never actually seen a grade as low as this."

This was not a pleasant dream.

Isn't it impossible to get a 160? I thought the lowest grade possible is a 165?

In theory I think you can get as low as 155, at least according to the wikipedia page.

That's really interesting. So in theory the top of the grade distribution is only 9 points above the median, whereas the bottom is 22 points below. If a person ever actually got a grade near the bottom, it would take A LOT of good grades to balance it out. I guess this is true of all curved grading distributions, but it sounds very sad regardless.

Let's take a poll: grades tomorrow or grades Tuesday?
Unfortunately, this is incorrect. One A per C, not one High A per Low C. So a 180 balances out a 170. Also, recall 177 is median, not average, so there can be 20 186s, 20 160s, and a single 177.

But everyone gets 176-178
I'm posting constructively.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: April 14, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »
Themes are the entire exam. Black letter is out. Take a look at his old ones.

Chances are that the crazy policy hypo is an old exam question.

This sounds pretty great to me.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3762 on: April 14, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
Also... MTG, can you give us your scoop on Levmore again? I know you've talked about it previously, but I leave that class more and more confused every day. I thought you had said previously that at the end of the day he only wants us to know the black letter law and be conversant in his "themes."

We spent the entire class period on Thursday going over some policy idea he has that has never been enacted, will never be enacted and he admits has lots of problems - I can't imagine this is going to be on the test, yeah?

Really? Levmore's class is my favorite class right now, and it isn't really very close. A lot of other people seem to share your opinion (re: confusing) though, as shown by the people called on in class.

Don't misunderstand me - Levmore's class is the best class we've had this year, at least in terms of entertainment value and I do think that we are learning something from his "themes", but I'm just not 100% sure how this applies on the exam and what we "really" need to know.

Interesting - should we try to apply the themes to Gersen's portion of the class as well? I feel like there's some overlap there but that Gersen wasn't as explicit about it as Levmore is.
U of C 2010

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3763 on: April 14, 2008, 08:51:56 PM »
Also... MTG, can you give us your scoop on Levmore again? I know you've talked about it previously, but I leave that class more and more confused every day. I thought you had said previously that at the end of the day he only wants us to know the black letter law and be conversant in his "themes."

We spent the entire class period on Thursday going over some policy idea he has that has never been enacted, will never be enacted and he admits has lots of problems - I can't imagine this is going to be on the test, yeah?

Really? Levmore's class is my favorite class right now, and it isn't really very close. A lot of other people seem to share your opinion (re: confusing) though, as shown by the people called on in class.

Don't misunderstand me - Levmore's class is the best class we've had this year, at least in terms of entertainment value and I do think that we are learning something from his "themes", but I'm just not 100% sure how this applies on the exam and what we "really" need to know.

Interesting - should we try to apply the themes to Gersen's portion of the class as well? I feel like there's some overlap there but that Gersen wasn't as explicit about it as Levmore is.

Use what the prof taught you on the exam.  Unless Gersen has changed his course up significantly, you probably shouldn't be applying Levmore's themes to Gersen's half of the exam.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: April 14, 2008, 11:31:37 PM »

No, don't use anything from Levmore for Gersen. Gersen wants to know the law - during the review session last year someone said one of Levmore's themes and Gersen said "Citing...?"
I'm posting constructively.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: April 14, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »
I wish Epstein's exam was on his themes. I think I understand them better than the black letter law.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: April 14, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »
I wish Epstein's exam was on his themes. I think I understand them better than the black letter law.

I know neither his themes nor the black letter law.  But the latter because he never mentioned what the law might actually be.

::)

Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: April 15, 2008, 12:13:09 AM »
Meh, its not like I"m learning black letter with Miles either.

At least the casebook is really readable. Much better than any of our casebooks, I'd say (I'm going to hurt our CivPro book, its awful, just awful).

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: April 15, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
FYI: Grades are sort of up. Well, at least they're for Strahilevitz's Property. As of right now they can't be seen under the "Grades for Winter 2008" link on cmore... but if you go to "Academic History" link, you can see the grade.

So, yeah, congrats and/or condolences.

deathandtaxes

• View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: April 15, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
What range exactly qualifies as an "A"?  And what kind of average does, say, the top 10% of the class have after 1-2 years?