Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 423555 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2010
« Reply #530 on: May 16, 2007, 12:30:21 PM »
Funny story SB. Something similar happened to me a while ago. A drunk came down our street bouncing off of all of the cars (parked on either side) before slamming into a light pole right around the corner and totalling his car. In all he hit 7 cars (I think), including ours. He didn't seem fazed by this however, his first thought was to get his golf clubs out of the trunk and proceed to walk home. He didn't get very far before the cops got there and promptly arrested him. Moron.

Those would have been my priority.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 16, 2007, 01:34:20 PM »
Let me tell you about the excitement of last night...

So I'm leaving Steak n' Shake (yum) when I suddenly hear a crash.  I look up and see a car taking out a lightpost on the median and coming careening towards my side of the road (and scarily close to my beloved car).  They come to a stop on the grass and get out of the car to examine the wreckage.  I call 911, as there's a lightpost in the road, and sit back to watch.

Well, they stumble around for a bit, and I realize they are t-rashed.  And then they start throwing beer cans out of the car.  They go to see if the car will start, but it's totaled, so no.  Then they walk over to us and slur "our car is a smoking."  Then they start to walk away when the police arrive.

Which meant I got to give a statement and watch some arrests and it was very exciting.  Much more exciting than I expected Steak 'n Shake to be on a Tuesday night.

Funny story SB. Something similar happened to me a while ago. A drunk came down our street bouncing off of all of the cars (parked on either side) before slamming into a light pole right around the corner and totalling his car. In all he hit 7 cars (I think), including ours. He didn't seem fazed by this however, his first thought was to get his golf clubs out of the trunk and proceed to walk home. He didn't get very far before the cops got there and promptly arrested him. Moron.

Hey! I definitely know you now! You told me (and the table we were at) this story at ASW, during the Saturday morning breakfast.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #532 on: May 16, 2007, 01:53:03 PM »
Yeah that was me. I told that story and the one about the pitbulls. Those are two very funny stories (IMO) and they both happened when I lived at the same place, but I only lived there for about 5 months before moving out.
U of C 2010

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 16, 2007, 07:34:22 PM »
The moral of the story is that SB and buffett are rats - if you're planning to cheat in law school, don't tell them... jk ;)

Sigh.  Don't blame me if you run over a lamppost hanging out in the middle of the road and die.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 16, 2007, 07:43:49 PM »
The moral of the story is that SB and buffett are rats - if you're planning to cheat in law school, don't tell them... jk ;)

MP - did you go on the cruise last night?  I didn't see you, but then again, I kept seeing people like 4 hours into the cruise and they would say "Holy crap, I didn't know you were on the cruise, have you been here the whole time?"...to which I would reply "No, I swam aboard a few minutes ago."  So we might have missed each other.  Are you going to any of the other senior week stuff?  I'm not going to the ball tonight, but I'm going to the champagne thing and some other stuff.

Your school does cool stuff. Cruises, balls, graduation gifts, respect, etc. My school doesn't really do that kind of stuff.

This term my department stopped giving undergraduates cookies during seminars (I attended a grad seminar today and they still get them).

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 16, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »
Your school does cool stuff. Cruises, balls, graduation gifts, respect, etc. My school doesn't really do that kind of stuff.

This term my department stopped giving undergraduates cookies during seminars (I attended a grad seminar today and they still get them).

That's like the saddest school ever.  No booze cruise?  No senior gala?  No food at every possible occasion?  Did you get your degree while in a correctional facility?

It appears UChicago will happily make it up to you.  Did you look at last year's orientation schedule?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 16, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »
It appears UChicago will happily make it up to you.  Did you look at last year's orientation schedule?

SECOND CITY!

WINE MESS!

FOOD!

ipwannabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 16, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »
ooooo do we get to go to second city???

ahhhhh i forgot how much i loooooooove chicago

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »
ooooo do we get to go to second city???

ahhhhh i forgot how much i loooooooove chicago

Last year's orientation schedule had it:

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/students/orientation_schedule.html

If this year's doesn't, I plan on going anyway.  :P

Anyone is welcome to join me.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 17, 2007, 10:04:12 AM »

I don't want to badmouth my school too much, since (a) my real name is linked to this username, (b) there are people from my school that post here, and (c) I still need to graduate... but yes. Administration wise it is the saddest school ever. If it weren't for some exceptional faculty over the last four years, and a great city, I'd write it off as a total disappointment. Its the administration that truly blows. Not many universities would publicly come out and say that they feel the school should be run like a "for-profit business".

Let me just put it this way: I'm wondering at what point its acceptable to remove one's undergraduate school from a resume. Or at least at what point you can limit it to a single sentence (e.g., "B.S., [major], [honors] [university], [year]"). I'd prefer to not link my name to this place more than absolutely necessary. I made some horrible, and completely ill-informed, decisions when I was applying to colleges. I'm so happy the same thing didn't happen with law school.

University of Phoenix? :o Outed.
The University of Chicago
The Law School