Law School Discussion

MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2010
« Reply #370 on: May 06, 2007, 06:23:07 PM »
If anyone cares to reach me, you can email me at firstnamelastname@uchicago.edu.  You don't have to know my real name!  It's just firstnamelastname@uchicago.edu

« Reply #371 on: May 06, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »
yes.

« Reply #372 on: May 06, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »
This reminds me of letting sugar-starved kids loose on a candy store to wreak havoc...we are having way too much fun with the new e-mail addresses  :D

By the way, I use the Mac Mail client, and I can't send anything using it from my UChi address. Did anyone try this and did it work? Or do I need to be on campus to get it to work?

MP- I just set up my POP account with Apple Mail.  I had trouble too, and it turned out that you can't put your password in when you set it up at first.  You have to do that afterwards. So this is what I did:

Select Add Account under the File menu
Select POP as the account type
Change the name of your POP Account if you want (mine is ChicagoMail)
Type in your full name
Type your e-mail address
Press continue
Type "pop.uchicago.edu" as the incoming mail server
Type in your cnet id
DON'T enter your password
Press continue
It'll tell you that logging in failed, press continue again anyway
Select the Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
Select Password under Authentication
Type "smtp.uchicago.edu" as the outgoing mail server
DON'T select Use Authentication
Press continue
It'll give you the Account summary
Press continue, then press done

Under the Accounts section of Preferences, select your POP account (ChicagoMail)
Under the Advanced tab, make sure SSL is checked, the port is 993, and authentication is Password
Close Preferences
Under Mailbox->Online Status, select "Take ChicagoMail online"
A screen will pop up asking for your password, type it in and select "add to keychain" if you don't want to type it in every time

And it should be working after all of that...

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 06, 2007, 08:10:15 PM »
I'm so bored in my classes right now that I'm playing games with these 1 page abstracts we have to write each week for our Senior Seminar (series of lectures from visiting profs and/or prospective faculty). Last week the entire report was one huge sentence. This week the first letter of each sentence (which I'll probably put in bold) will spell something out. I'm hoping to put 'Rosebud' in, but that may not be enough sentences.

I'm running out of ideas though. I thought about palindromes, but thats WAY too hard/impossible.

« Reply #374 on: May 07, 2007, 06:53:11 AM »
Update for MP (who abandoned me at 5  :'():  in Warren Towers dining hall, just read through the draft for the first time, and also spilled coffee on it.  This is the 2nd worst paper I've written in the last 4 years, and coincidentally, it's also the 2nd worst paper I've written in the last 4 days.

If you get really down, email me and i'll send you the 12 page paper about Clarendon that I wrote Friday morning.  It's a real winner and will make you feel smart!

« Reply #375 on: May 07, 2007, 07:40:21 AM »
I'm getting one.  I"m working at a country club pro shop this summer.  It'll be hilarious and blissfully un-lawish

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 07, 2007, 09:44:25 AM »
I thought about getting a job, but there aren't many available that I both want and could actually get. Plus, I'm not staying in one place long enough to have any continuity with a job.

Right now I'm exploring two completely frivolous summer options:

1. Flight lessons. Something I've always wanted to do since I was a little kid, but never got around to doing. I've checked out instructors in the two places I'll be living this summer (CT and PA), getting a feel for prices and how long it would take to get all the hours I'd need, and so forth. Could be pretty expensive though, but this could be the last real vacation I get in a LONG time. Plus, it would be nice to have accomplished SOMETHING over the summer.

2. I've been looking at the various last-second package vacations available on travel websites. You know, those airfare+hotel packages that are absurdly cheap as long as you're willing to leave right now and from a particular airport. I figure I could have a bag packed and ready to go at all times in case something interesting comes up.

I'm bouncing around a couple other ideas, but nothing is sticking besides those two. I'm also debating a more traditional vacation thing, since I know a couple people going to Italy in July.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any interesting plans.

« Reply #377 on: May 07, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »
I'm working at Gap this summer!  I'm really excited about the discount...

« Reply #378 on: May 07, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
Darn you straight out of undergrad people and your no jobs. :(

Some of us have to work for a living. :)

On another topic, how do you set up the aliases on the CNET site? I set up my account but didn't see where to put in aliases.

« Reply #379 on: May 07, 2007, 06:03:24 PM »
why would you need an alias? i mean, the only reason anyone gets them at penn state is because our email addresses are all predetermined and hard to remember, like abc5000@psu or whatever, so people will get firstnamelastname@psu.edu or something like that...but if you like the one you picked, is there a reason to have another one? (unless you want to make like chucknorris@uchicago.edu so you can put him on facebook or something...)

just wondering in case i need to start snatching them up :-)