Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010  (Read 417213 times)

ipwannabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2010
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 09:24:38 PM »
ikea in chicago. delivers. amazingness.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2007, 09:27:15 PM »
thanks for the help with the bus thing! ok, so what i cant quite figure out... since the bus only seems to run until 8 pm, does that mean after that you're screwed?

can any current students comment on my other questions re: cars?

There is a bus that runs from the main campus until 11:00 or midnight. Don't remember which.

Also, I didn't see your other question about cars.

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »
thanks for the help with the bus thing! ok, so what i cant quite figure out... since the bus only seems to run until 8 pm, does that mean after that you're screwed?

can any current students comment on my other questions re: cars?

my host told me the buses run every 9 minutes until 7pm...after that you need a car to get to/from the law school...she doesn't have a car but she said she does NOT recommend that...the regents bus is #172 and the bus pass is free for law students (for that route at least, i don't think it's free to take a bus downtown).

ipwannabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:56 PM »
eek. it sounds like i need a car :(

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 10:24:50 PM »
I posted this thread for MTG to notice, so hopefully he'll come down here with a few answers to these questions.

Here are a couple of my own for current students (or whoever knows the answer):

How does the internet/cable work at Regents? I mean, Iím pretty sure its DSL for free in terms of internet access, but what about cable TV?

Any opinions on cell phone coverage in the city? What about in Regents itself? Iíve survived the last 4 years on just a cell phone, and Iíd hate to get a landline.

Internet: This is basically DSL in every room. The only problem is that it is managed through a central proxy server, which makes it very difficult to use bittorrent if you're into that sort of thing (you have much less control over opening and closing ports). The speed isn't great if you are used to cable, but it is pretty adequate DSL. It was extremely slow in the fall, but they upgraded the equipment significantly, and it has been much faster since the winter.

TV: Standard cable. I believe you can upgrade to digital for the price differential, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Cell phone coverage: I recommended Sprint to a bunch of people last year after having good experiences with it 1L year. Then I got back to Chicago, and I get virtually no reception in Regents. So I don't know what to recommend anymore. I have no problem with Sprint in the city, but it is a pain in the ass in my apartment. I know other providers have similar problems.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »

One thing to remember about living in Regents is that EVERYONE lives in Regents.  My host was carless, and she said she could always catch a ride back home at night (even if it meant leaving earlier or staying later than she would have preferred).  Not ideal but doable.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2007, 10:28:52 PM »

One thing to remember about living in Regents is that EVERYONE lives in Regents.  My host was carless, and she said she could always catch a ride back home at night (even if it meant leaving earlier or staying later than she would have preferred).  Not ideal but doable.

This is correct. Everyone in your 1L section, and a decent number of people in your class, will all have the same schedule.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2007, 10:42:10 PM »
Adding to the DSL question, are utilities included or not with the rent at Regents? I keep meaning to ask them...

And Annon, I put in Sept. 1 too - but then I spoke to the Regents people and they asked if I were flexible about the lease and move-in date, and I said I was so I guess I'm just waiting for the moment

Water is included, electricity is not. It is like $50/person/month.

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2007, 11:08:52 PM »
i checked my reception in Regents and got little to no service with Tmobile...although tmobile isn't great in most places..

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 11:54:52 PM »
I'll probably stay with Verizon - I'd imagine it would have decent service pretty much anywhere - although I was tempted to switch to TMobile just so I can get a different phone that uses a SIM card  :)

i have verizon and it's fine. i'm at regents a lot and have never had a problem  ;D

cars stuff from ipwannabe...
]

-Where can I download a bus schedule for the regents to Uchi bus.  what time does it start/run 'til? is it a city bus or a shuttle? http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/bus/bus/172.pdf

that's the 172 bus which picks up a ridiculously short block away from regents (i think)

-how many ppl living in regents have cars?

from my experience, a pretty good number (totally guessing, but maybe 80% total? everyone i know living there has one). i really think if you live there, it's probably worth plunking down the $140 for parking....parking anywhere near regents after 8 is total hit-or-miss and you might have to walk around at night by yourself for 10 minutes.

-how do ppl living in regents typically get to class? bus during the day? or try to find parking?

a lot of people take the 172. a small number drive (the ones that pay for a parking spot near the school) and often will drive other people to and from classes. also, keep in mind the law school parking lot opens up to everyone at 4 pm and all day weekends, so you can drive yourself to the school and be assured parking if you're studying late or something.

i really want to live in regents but i dont think ill have a car... is this do-able? whats the real deal?

it's definitely doable. i know several people who have been car-less this year both in regents and university housing and it's a pain, but you make friends with people with cars. i know in the beginning of the year, my friend alex bummed a ride to target with me and did his furniture stuff that way. a lot of people i know use peapod to deliver groceries, take cabs with everyone else to bar review (since everyone is planning on being too drunk to drive anyway), and can bum rides for every other purpose. that being said, it's definitely easier with your own car.

also, i'm not sure who here is considering university housing but it's a pretty good deal. i pay $774 a month for a huge fully furnished (full futon/bed, huge desk with bookshelf hutch, five drawer dresser, coffee table, dining table, three chairs, one big chair, and two little end table things) studio with utilities and electricity included, washer/dryer with cards (no quarters, which is f'ing fantastic) in building, and a 15 minute walk to the law school, plus i pay $30 a month for a reserved parking spot. my friend pays $800-something for an unfurnished one bedroom with $30 reserved parking, but he's a bit further away than me. university housing is not as new as regents (and not quite as safe....no doorman even though there's a locked main entrance) and it's a studio but it's big, cheap, and i didn't have to move a crapload of furniture from california or ikea/target here. i wouldn't necessarily agree with the lack of social scene too; it might be a pain to get to regents every time i hang out there but not living at regents certainly did not hurt my chances at a social life!