Law School Discussion

MP's Thread, or how to get paid $75K to sit around: also known as UChicago 2010

MP

• UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
I'm still annoyed by the fact that I'm going to have Friday clases during fall and winter (corporations with Henderson and fedjur with Mortara).

Bleh.

If things work out...one Friday class for me fall qtr (Corp.), no Friday classes winter or spring :D

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
O/U on people bidding for the Easterbrook seminar?

So everyone seems excited to take Fed Jur with Mortara in the Winter, but I noticed Strauss is also teaching it in the Fall, and those who had Elements with Strauss seemed to really like him.

Any reason (besides general scheduling conflicts, etc.) that it is better to take the class with Mortara than with Strauss?

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Bleh. I just saw that fedjur with Mortara conflicts with CrimPro with Samaha AND Admin with Epstein.

That's depressing.

MP

• UChicago 2L
    • View Profile

Yeah, but I think I want to take Strahi's Property Theory seminar more...and might have a better chance of getting it than Easterbrook's, based on what Hazard said. 

Hey, question for 3Ls/grads: so Easterbrook's seminar says it fulfills a Substantial Writing requirement.  Does that hold true for all or most seminars, or is it just Easterbrook's?  If I were to take a seminar like Property Theory, do I have to apply separately (and do a paper) to make it count for Subst. Writing, or will the coursework from the seminar be enough?  I hope this makes sense.  Thanks!

Hazard

• UChicago 2009
    • View Profile

Yeah, but I think I want to take Strahi's Property Theory seminar more...and might have a better chance of getting it than Easterbrook's, based on what Hazard said. 

Hey, question for 3Ls/grads: so Easterbrook's seminar says it fulfills a Substantial Writing requirement.  Does that hold true for all or most seminars, or is it just Easterbrook's?  If I were to take a seminar like Property Theory, do I have to apply separately (and do a paper) to make it count for Subst. Writing, or will the coursework from the seminar be enough?  I hope this makes sense.  Thanks!

It does not hold true for most seminars. Writing requirements aren't hard to come by, but they usually don't fall on your lap. Most courses you have to go talk to the professor and get approval for a SWC.

Easterbrook's seminar is the perfect seminar - great prof, big name with lay prestige, writing requirement, 3 credits. Usually, you only get one or two of these.

Prop Theory was a great course.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
i got substantial credit for stone's "constitutional decisionmaking", but i also wrote about 30 pages throughout the seminar and it's a competitive course to get into.

Definitely no Easterbrook for me.

Thanks for the heads-up about lotto results Pre, I found them.

MP

• UChicago 2L
    • View Profile

It does not hold true for most seminars. Writing requirements aren't hard to come by, but they usually don't fall on your lap. Most courses you have to go talk to the professor and get approval for a SWC.

Easterbrook's seminar is the perfect seminar - great prof, big name with lay prestige, writing requirement, 3 credits. Usually, you only get one or two of these.

Thanks! Very helpful!

What would you recommend in this case?  Placing Easterbrook's seminar as #1 in the hopes that I get lucky with the lottery, or just going for Prop Theory?

Hazard

• UChicago 2009
    • View Profile

Thanks! Very helpful!

What would you recommend in this case?  Placing Easterbrook's seminar as #1 in the hopes that I get lucky with the lottery, or just going for Prop Theory?

Coin flip on this one.