Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Quick poll, USC vs. UT national portability  (Read 445 times)

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Quick poll, USC vs. UT national portability
« on: April 14, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »
redacted

Chingon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Quick poll, USC vs. UT national portability
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 10:17:17 PM »
I would think that UT would have more national portability, and both would have much more than WUSTL.  UT has higher rep scores in USNWR, but this article shows relative equality in hiring (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1168423325385).

Some other resources are Ciolli's study on xoxo and nalpdirectory.com.  Good luck.

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
I would think that UT would have more national portability, and both would have much more than WUSTL.  UT has higher rep scores in USNWR, but this article shows relative equality in hiring (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1168423325385).

Some other resources are Ciolli's study on xoxo and nalpdirectory.com.  Good luck.

I've done some browsing of NALP.  I tend to stay away xoxo, can you point me in the right direction.  Thanks for the advice!

indomitable

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:25:17 AM »
I think both are roughly equivalent in their national portability. It may appear at first glance that UT has more pull nationally, but that is likely due to the high number of individuals that stay in CA after attending USC. The high number of USC grads that stay in state is probably a reflection of the more profitable legal markets available in CA compared to TX. Both are great schools that will not significantly limit your ability to be hired almost anywhere in the country as long as you're willing to do a little extra legwork if the places you want to go don't heavily recruit during OCI at whichever school you choose. By the way, I second your love of Chicago!

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
USC doesn't rank if you're worried about being in the middle of the class.

Anyway, I'm not sure that either has much of an advantage in national portability. I think that it's likely you'll have more options being at the very top of the class at Texas than you would at USC, but after the top 5% or so, it probably evens out. On the other hand, I think that students toward the bottom of the USC classes seem to have better options than those at Texas (perhaps as a function of being such a smaller class). But those are just the thoughts of a prelaw student.

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 11:19:32 AM »
http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/ciolli/ciolli.final.pdf

That link isn't working for me for some reason... does anyone know somewhere else I can get the pdf?

Thanks for all the other replies, responses!  This is a tough one...

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »
I think both are roughly equivalent in their national portability. It may appear at first glance that UT has more pull nationally, but that is likely due to the high number of individuals that stay in CA after attending USC. The high number of USC grads that stay in state is probably a reflection of the more profitable legal markets available in CA compared to TX. Both are great schools that will not significantly limit your ability to be hired almost anywhere in the country as long as you're willing to do a little extra legwork if the places you want to go don't heavily recruit during OCI at whichever school you choose. By the way, I second your love of Chicago!

Most UT grads stay in Texas. Te pay there is quite high when compared to the ultra-cheap COL, and some places like Austin are very desirable and hard to get into without going to UT.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »
They are both pretty equal with national portability. Both schools are semi-national, and while they both have significant local placement, a lot of it really has to do with self-selection. A USC or UT degree can take you to pretty much any major legal market, though it might be harder through OCI.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.