Law School Discussion

Review of Chicago ASW

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Review of Chicago ASW
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2007, 12:02:19 PM »
My host lives in Regents.  He pays about $140 a month to Regents, and then about $40 a month to park at the law school.  I'm not sure of the exact logistics of the law school parking though.  Also, there's a bus that goes from Regents to the law school every half hour on the half hour.

Regents parking costs $145 a month, which is expensive, but fits in the budget if you have a 2 bedroom.

Where does your host park at the law school? Last year they had some parking lot spots for $30/month. I ignorantly bought one and then never used it. But I thought they didn't have any spots left because of the construction this year.

Yeah, I don't really know about the law school parking, I just remember him saying $40 a month - I could definitely be wrong about that though.

MTG, how exactly does the budget work?  So the budget is about 61,000.  Say I have 30,000 in scholarship for the year (I wish).  I would then take out about 10,000 in loans to cover the rest of tuition, and then I would be able to take out approximately an additional 21,000 for living expenses.  My question is, can I take out more than that?  Say I wanted a 1 BR in Regents, plus a car (with parking, insurance, lease payments, gas, etc).  Those two expenses alone could put me near 21,000.  Can I take out additional loans, whether through the federal gov, private loans, or whatever?  Or will I only be able to take out 61000 minus any grants and scholarships?  Not saying I would necessarily have such ridiculous expenses, but I'm curious because I thought some 1Ls were indicating that you could basically take out as much as you want in loans.

I honestly don't know. My first year, I took out less than the student budget in loans. This year, I'm trying to get by with a combination of parent's money, scholarships, and savings without using any loans. Machen would be able to answer this question much better.

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »
Speaking of Machen, I definitely have to email him for a copy of his 5 year debt repayment plans.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
Speaking of Machen, I definitely have to email him for a copy of his 5 year debt repayment plans.

Tsk tsk...the girl next to me copied it all down by hand!

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »

Tsk tsk...the girl next to me copied it all down by hand!

GUNNER!  LOL.

Oh, btw MTG, I met, who I think will be the gunner for 2010.  :D

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2007, 01:18:03 PM »
I want to complain for a moment that, according to Hank, MPark is the cutest sweetest girl ever, MCB is a charmer, and I'm the girl with the mouth on her.

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »
Good god... my flight tonight has been cancelled! And when I called up American Airlines, they said the earliest they can get me out is Tuesday morning!!! Which just doesn't make sense.

Ugh. An amazing UChicago ASW has been bookended by some utterly horrible airline issues.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
Good god... my flight tonight has been cancelled! And when I called up American Airlines, they said the earliest they can get me out is Tuesday morning!!! Which just doesn't make sense.

Ugh. An amazing UChicago ASW has been bookended by some utterly horrible airline issues.

Uhh.... WTF??!! That totally blows.

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2007, 01:29:28 PM »
For those doing CLS vs Chi, the pros/cons list that MPark spoke of

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,86746.msg2154741.html#new

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Off topic question:

Sorry to ask this here, but I'm having trouble finding a relevant thread since I can't find a search function. 

I was put on "hold" status on 2/2 and I have yet to hear anything back.  Does anyone have any idea when the next round of decisions is coming?  At this point is there any chance whatsover, or have all acceptances gone out?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2007, 03:21:23 PM »
AA is TTT.  HTH.