Re: Review of Chicago ASW
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2007, 02:49:53 AM »
tag

annonymous

• UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 05:49:51 AM »
The people at 'Rock Bottom' were carding, :( so I ended up giving away the 6 drink tickets I had amassed (my host didn't come and someone had earlier given me 2 extra tickets).

Air hockey got quite violent at the end of the night. The last game I played, the puck flew off the table more often than it flew into the goal.

After Epstein’s class, I decided to stick around for Eric Posner’s Contracts class, which was much more straightforward than Epstein’s.  I also tried to talk up a couple cute 1Ls sitting next to me (they were cute, yes anonymous?)

Yessir, they were.

I forgot to mention Epstein and EPosner's classes in my original post, but Epstein's class was easily the highlight of Thursday. Just blew me away, that combination of intelligence and charisma.

EPosner was a bit less impressive, but I think it was just the subject matter (minors and contracts for necessities versus non-necessities). Plus the fact I had been sitting in the same seat for 2+ hours.

'Legal History' with LaCroix (which I attended for the same reason as you, really) was also sort of dull, but its probably not the kind of class I would voluntarily take anyway.

hahahaahah i had no idea that chancemeeting = the dude from the trivia. That seems surprisingly fitting.

It is creepy... and I think I ate dinner with him... although its hard to tell since there were quite a few people where I ate and the guy who kinda looked like the trivia challenge guy was on the far end of the table.

The Trivia Challenge almost deserves a thread of its own, from the entrance music... to little things each professor pulled off... to MTG's botching of a softball question... to the sheer amazement when people kept listening to chancemeeting pull out some random factoid time after time... it was something you had to see to believe.

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 08:14:53 AM »
It's only been a day since leaving Chicago and THIS many posts.

I'm back to LSD after a long hiatus.  Had a blast at Chicago.  I don't think I have much more to add to the already exhaustive reviews. 

Every single living prospect is great. New Grad, I was hoping would turn me off immediately, so that I can have an easier time deciding on Regents.  But New Grad turned out to be "not that bad;" I can see myself living there.

And dude, playing MTG's Nintendo Wii with two other prospee's was freakin awesome.  I have to get that console.

EDIT: BTW, MTG was the best host ever. His celebrity status compelled us (hostees) to take a picture with him.  For those who may be hosted by him in the future, bring a vaccuum cleaner as a gift.  ;)

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2007, 08:46:11 AM »
hahahaahah i had no idea that chancemeeting = the dude from the trivia. That seems surprisingly fitting.

I'm surprised given the team name and the type of questions that he was dominating that so few people figured it out.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2007, 08:51:54 AM »
My host lives in Regents.  He pays about $140 a month to Regents, and then about $40 a month to park at the law school.  I'm not sure of the exact logistics of the law school parking though.  Also, there's a bus that goes from Regents to the law school every half hour on the half hour.

Regents parking costs $145 a month, which is expensive, but fits in the budget if you have a 2 bedroom.

Where does your host park at the law school? Last year they had some parking lot spots for $30/month. I ignorantly bought one and then never used it. But I thought they didn't have any spots left because of the construction this year.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2007, 10:38:08 AM »
Am I missing something?  Was:

not on the pin?

Nope. The pin is a little yellow shield with the red cross and lion.

Fair enough.  So modified. 

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »

Friday afternoon began with a lunch, where I finally met MCB.  MCB is quite a charmer—she’s much more outgoing than I thought she would be (not sure why I had that impression of her before), and I remember liking her necklace.  Other Chicago students I met seemed similar—generally an affable bunch.  I do get the impression they are “into” class more than perhaps students at other schools, and I suppose that is a good thing.  You wouldn’t want to be around classmates who didn’t want to be there.  That being said, I did get the impression from Chicago students that they somehow think they are the “true” lawyers, while those students at other schools are just trying to get by long enough to cruise into that 160K firm job.  I really doubt this is true.  You can be excited about the law anywhere, and especially at top schools, I doubt you will be alone.  Chicago may have more of them, but it is hardly as if all the law students in the country who *care about learning the law* migrate to Hyde Park.  The afternoon concludes with a wine mess (open bar), and I get more opportunities to dialogue current students (hah, inside joke with MCB there).  [redacted] pours us all shots of Jagermeister.     

Conclusion

Compared to Columbia, I really do think I would get more out of classes at Chicago, both because of the professors and because of the students.  Chicago is also more known for what I’m interested in, i.e, clerkships and academia (actually beginning to be more interested in the latter, not in small part because of seeing some of these Chicago profs).  But would those opportunites be unavailable to me at Columbia?  Just because Chicago turns out more clerks and profs doesn’t mean that couldn’t be self-selection on the part of students who choose Chicago.  Some sort of feedback mechanism (I’m sure there is a complex economics term for it).  I really do think I would enjoy living in Manhattan much more than I would Hyde Park (for many reasons, some of which I outlined in the above paragraph, and some of which I outlined in my initial review of Columbia).  It’ll be a touch choice, and I will spend the next week or so mulling it over. 

LOL thanks for the compliment.  Why did you think I'd be quiet, lol.

But your thoughts re: CLS vs Chi are right on the money and I basically feel the same way (except academia is not a concern for me--and Idon't think clerking is either).  I also am of the mind that education is what you make it, and if you seek out relationships with profs and stuff you will get it.

I am also planning to take a week and flesh out my pros and cons for each school.  I want to decide by 4/24...let's see how that goes  :-\

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2007, 11:43:56 AM »
MCB, I think you should post your pro/con lists or make a Chicago v. CLS thread sometime soon. A lot of people seemed to be deciding between those two, and while I think some of them (smartly :)) were decided on Chicago by the end, I'm sure there are others out there who are still conflicted.  And I think your list was pretty comprehensive.

This would be very helpful.

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
~will do

(some family members are coming over soon, so this may take while/need extra editing)  :)

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »
Just live in University Housing. Parking is like 30-40 dollars a month. Yay cheapness!