;

Poll

Should I check yes?

Yes I would
 4 (80%)
No I would not
 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: "character assessment"  (Read 1863 times)

GGinP

• View Profile
"character assessment"
« on: September 16, 2004, 12:10:37 AM »
Every law school app has what is called a “character assessment” section.  The question that concerns me usually goes:  Have you ever been charged of or convicted of any offense except a minor traffic violation?  In my case, the answer is yes. When I was thirteen years old, stupid, and eager to fit in, I smoked some weed, and got busted.  I don’t understand how what I did ten years ago, as a stupid kid, has any bearing on the quality of my character as a professional adult.   I don’t want to check yes.  What should I do?   ???

dr_draino

Re: "character assessment"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 12:11:39 AM »
Read the other 4 threads on this same topic that have been popping up over the past two days.

Every law school app has what is called a “character assessment” section.  The question that concerns me usually goes:  Have you ever been charged of or convicted of any offense except a minor traffic violation?  In my case, the answer is yes. When I was thirteen years old, stupid, and eager to fit in, I smoked some weed, and got busted.  I don’t understand how what I did ten years ago, as a stupid kid, has any bearing on the quality of my character as a professional adult.   I don’t want to check yes.  What should I do?   ???

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 12:12:32 AM »
check yes.  then write an addendum.  they're very forgiving about it, unless you omit and when they find out, and they will find out, you will either get kicked out of LS for failure to disclose.  and if you fail to put it on your bar app, then you will be denied the bar because while they don't care about the actual action, they will care that you lied

GGinP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 12:30:52 AM »
What should the addendum look like?  I smoked some pot when I was 13. I am no longer a drug user. Please excuse my poor judgement.  What a bunch of BS.  Just another way to help out the good ol' boys. 

M2

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 02:08:09 AM »
What should the addendum look like?  I smoked some pot when I was 13. I am no longer a drug user. Please excuse my poor judgement.  What a bunch of BS.  Just another way to help out the good ol' boys. 

Actually that sounds very good

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 07:45:45 AM »
M2's right.  Just tell them what happened.  Don't make any excuses; just give the facts.  Be a little more specific with dates and also with the process (did you go to court?  was the record sealed or expunged?) etc.  Law schools don't really care about the action.  They just want to make sure they're not wasting a seat in the class on someone whose criminal record will prevent him/her from sitting for the bar in 3 years.