Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA v. GULC  (Read 916 times)

bored

• View Profile
UCLA v. GULC
« on: April 14, 2007, 05:25:53 PM »
In-state Californian.  Interested in Public Interest law. No $ from Georgetown.  What do you all think?

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA v. GULC
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
If you know that you are headed for public interest, I would go to UCLA. There's no reason to end up in 150k+ debt if you won't make a salary that would allow you to pay it back without having a heart attack in the process. If you're in doubt that you want to go into public interest, or if you have enough money to comfortably pay off GULC, I would go there. It would give you more mobility, prestige, and BIGLAW potential. It's all about whether or not you're 100% decided on public interest.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

bored

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 05:36:59 PM »
Is there really that great a difference in prestige?  One is #15, one is #14.

LZ21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 05:39:38 PM »
I would go to UCLA. You save money and you don't really lose prestige.
UVA Class of 2010!

bored

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »
Bump

brutus09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:05:41 PM »
Is there really that great a difference in prestige?  One is #15, one is #14.

Yes, there is a significant difference.  The only reason why G'town and UCLA are close together in the rankings is because of G'town's small endowment, which affects spending per student.  If you look at things like student quality, faculty quality, reputation, etc. you will see that Georgetown is significantly better.  I think lawyers in both LA and DC will tell you the same.

bored

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 01:43:16 AM »

While that makes sense, due to G-town's large size, I don't think UCLA has an edge on G-town in terms of endowment.  I mean, I think that is something that would hold UCLA back as well, since it is a public school.  In fact, I know UCLA's endowment is quite small.  So there must be something other than money that is bringing UCLA so close to Georgetown in the rankings.  I just wonder if the difference in prestige is enough to counterbalance the difference in price.  I think the difference would come out close to $50,000.  That's a lot for someone who has no plans to go into big law.  But, unfortunately, a lot of public interest law firms, non-profits, and gov. orgs are prestige-whores.  Would they put that much stock into the difference between these two schools?

SHOTGUN

• X-Wing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 02:46:21 AM »
UCLA probably has to be considered a T14 caliber school. If you plan to stay in CA after graduation, I'd say UCLA. (plus you save a lot of money) If you're going for NYC/BigLaw, go for GULC. I'd say there's no difference in school reputation.
In: Kent,BU,UMD,GMU
WL: 1 school
Reject: 6 schools

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »
Many people go into law school wanting to do public interest but leave with a firm job.  I'd say a significant amount, at least from what people here at NYU and other schools tell me.  I'd pick Gtown.

bert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 03:10:53 PM »
I'm facing pretty much the exact same dilemma.

The difference is that I'm interested in international public health law, and want to get a joint MPH, so I'm leaning towards GULC/Johns Hopkins.  But UCLA seems to have a strong PI program, especially for the region, and I wonder if I'd rather practice in CA.

I'm gonna be at the ASD @ UCLA a week from today, and if you have any specific questions that you'd like asked of current students, feel free to PM me.  Also, I've gotten money out of both schools using other scholarship awards - should you have the option, I'd advise broaching the topic with respective admission folk.