Law School Discussion

Where are my engineers/hard science majors at?

Re: Where are my engineers/hard science majors at?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 10:02:28 PM »
I won't miss engineering school. I haven't slept for 4 years, Im usually doing school work ~12 hrs a day 7 days a week, thats why my GPA is so high, I live and breath my work - and at night I dream about it...

Do you love pain?

j/k

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 12:53:08 AM »
I also watch people who aren't willing to work their absolute hardest and give everything they have to their engineering studies complain about low GPAs, for them I rarely have sympathy.

lame. 

That support for your peers is going to be something for 2010 Boalt students to look forward to. 

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
All these damn doctors causing plagues!

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »
I won't miss engineering school. I haven't slept for 4 years, Im usually doing school work ~12 hrs a day 7 days a week, thats why my GPA is so high, I live and breath my work - and at night I dream about it...

Do you love pain?

j/k

Really not unusual. I sleep about 3-6 hours per night. Every other hour I am either in class, doing school work, going to meetings, or making sure my clubs do not go to crap. I even eat in class because I dont have time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Woohooo!

But of course I do have time for LSD!

JuanTwoThree

• Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 05:44:19 AM »
Schools DO NOT take strength of classes/major into account. I did no better than my numbers and LSN would dictate. This whole process is numbers driven except for the absolute rarest case.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 06:12:55 AM »
I can't help but think that my EE degree and a heavy course load throughout my UG played a role in my acceptances.
As for higher LSAT, I think only very motivated students go from Hard science/engineering to Law, whereas some more mediocre students from arts majors go into law because that's what they decided on before starting UG. Most hard science majors decide on law midway through their UG.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 07:42:34 AM »

Do you love pain?

j/k

Really not unusual. I sleep about 3-6 hours per night. Every other hour I am either in class, doing school work, going to meetings, or making sure my clubs do not go to crap. I even eat in class because I dont have time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Woohooo!

But of course I do have time for LSD!

My comment was more of a remark on how you're in for more of the same by going to law school (of course, still a joke).

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 07:51:22 AM »
Schools DO NOT take strength of classes/major into account. I did no better than my numbers and LSN would dictate. This whole process is numbers driven except for the absolute rarest case.

Same here

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »
Ah, sorry to be oversensitive then.

But if I implied that humanities majors are divorced from logic, I'm sorry -- I meant only to suggest that math was a good preparation, and that the sections in question were more dependent on logic than on reading comprehension. Perhaps I mis-comprehended your original point.  :D

Also, I suppose there might be other reasons to major in humanities than just picking up logical thinking skills. I know, for example, that as a math major, my writing skills have suffered. (My writing skills are a math major).

In all honesty, the fact that no one tosses around claims that humanities majors do better on the parts of the LSAT that heavily involve reading comprehension (Um, 3/4 of the test?) is either a really lame comeback to complaints by science students that their heavily discounted GPAs leave them at a disadvantage in their applications or a sign that humanities degrees are slightly less valuable than toilet paper.

I'm going to side with the former. If anyone wants to try to convince me otherwise, knock yourself out.

I disagree with bolded. I think the short passages are more about logical reasoning than reading comprehension....

And I'll disagree right back. Clearly, the LR section are more about logical reasoning than the RC section is, but if you are honestly telling me that reading comprehension is completely divorced from being able to understand basic logic, I'm going to have to start to slide towards my alternate hypothesis of "Humanities majors are morons."

Ummm... OK, although if that was intended as an insult,  you should probably have noted first (as per above) that I'm a math / physics major.

Also, obviously reading comprehension is a prerequisite to understanding basic logic; but that's exactly the kind of reading that math and science majors have to do routinely, and excel at. Since we're having a discussion about LSAT abilities in the context of majors, I naturally interpreted your comment to refer to the more subtle and intensive reading comprehension at which humanities majors should excel, and at which science majors might be expected not to. My point was that the primary thing tested by the LR sections is logic, and I stand by that. The only reading ability required is the same ability that is required to parse the statement of a mathematical theorem.

Was not intended as an insult, I know you aren't a humanities major.

My point remains that if the subject matter in the humanities truly is as divorced from logic as you seem to claim, perhaps we need to start questioning how humanities degrees still have a $160k price tag associated with them.

ChiTownEE

• Golden Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »
I also watch people who aren't willing to work their absolute hardest and give everything they have to their engineering studies complain about low GPAs, for them I rarely have sympathy.

lame. 

That support for your peers is going to be something for 2010 Boalt students to look forward to. 

Law school and Boalt in particular are VERY different environments than engineering. I look forward to being able to support my classmates and knowing that they are have the type of character that Boalt recruits. Everyone I met at the ASW was strong, confident and social - I don't think that it will be an issue at all.

Besides, Boalt fosters support among peers, Cal EECS is much more cut throat and very much less social and supportive. Like I said in my original post, I won't miss engineering school.