Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Public Interest - 1st Tier $50,000 debt or 4th Tier No Debt?  (Read 1244 times)

ladyluck007

• View Profile
Public Interest - 1st Tier $50,000 debt or 4th Tier No Debt?
« on: April 14, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »
I got a full scholarship to Roger Williams University in Rhode Island, and apparently will be participating in their Honors Program. They have housing that is furnished and all inclusive. The location is amazing. However, I hear on these boards that the school is a joke? Even so, it's the only law school in Rhode Island which has to be a plus, right? Roger Williams is ranked 4th tier.

I also got into UConn's evening division with no money. I can automatically switch to the Day Division after my first year and make up the classes I didn't take the first year in a summer or two.. so I can still graduate in the normal 3 years. The location sucks, for lack of a better word, and I'd have to find an apartment on my own. I will be around $50,000 in debt by the time I'm done, and I'm already $25,000 in debt, for a total of $75,000. UConn is ranked #49.

I want to pursue public interest, which potentially means a not-so-hot salary. I also really like the idea of not having any debt added to my pile, as this affords me a freedom upon graduation I would not otherwise have.

Anyone want to offer their opinion? Am I nuts to choose RWU over UConn?

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Public Interest - 1st Tier $50,000 debt or 4th Tier No Debt?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 03:11:10 PM »
I don't like to tell people what to do on these boards (everybody has their own unique circumstances), but in this case, it is not even a question: go with UConn.  I do not buy into the rankings nearly as much as everyone else on this board seems to, but there is definitely a huge difference between UConn and any Tier 4.

Also, 50K in debt is pretty damn low for law school, so you will still be doing quite well debt-wise compared to others.  A school like UConn would probably make you much better prepared to excel in any type of law.  So even though you want to do public interest and won't be making the big bucks, it would be well worth the added debt.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 03:33:20 PM »
There are some reputable Tier 4 schools, but from what I understand, Roger Williams is not one of them. You will still be going to UConn with a relatively low level of debt that should be manageable even with a public interest career. Plus, if you decide you aren't interested in public interest later on UConn will give you lots of opportunities to pursue other types of careers.

ladyluck007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »
Hm, thanks. You've all made me feel a lot better about deciding on UConn.

Any thoughts on WNEC? I got a full ride there too.

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »
I would definitely go to UConn.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:22:25 PM »
I will be around $50,000 in debt by the time I'm done,

I'll be in that much debt after ONE YEAR, and I plan to work for the government.

UConn!!
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

onechu82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:54:33 PM »
UConn.  $50k debt out of law school is not that bad.

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 11:38:06 PM »
UConn.  $50k debt out of law school is not that bad.

TITCR.

Cheers,

Para  :)
Hamline University School of Law
1L

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »
UCONN is the clear choice.  I assume that the 50k debt figure is because you are getting in-state tuition.  This is a great deal for CT residents.

50k is a manageable amount of debt.  UCONN is a highly respected public university and a J.D. from UCONN will open a lot more doors than a J.D. from Roger Williams.  UCONN easily passes the stateofbeasley test: "Go prestigious, go public, or don't go at all."

kristen823

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »
UCONN is the clear choice.  I assume that the 50k debt figure is because you are getting in-state tuition.  This is a great deal for CT residents.

50k is a manageable amount of debt.  UCONN is a highly respected public university and a J.D. from UCONN will open a lot more doors than a J.D. from Roger Williams.  UCONN easily passes the stateofbeasley test: "Go prestigious, go public, or don't go at all."

Ha, I like the stateofbeasley test. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters. It is hard to turn down a full ride anywhere, but 50K in debt for all of law school is not bad at all and the difference in opportunities once you graduate will be huge. Does UConn have an LRAP program that might help you out after you graduate?
So if you really love me, say yes(In): Maryland, Temple, Fordham, GW
But if you don't, dear, confess(Out):
And please don't tell me Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps(Def/WL): Gtown (PWL)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kmk823