Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia vs NYU with money  (Read 658 times)

dirtytennisshoe

• View Profile
Columbia vs NYU with money
« on: April 14, 2007, 10:57:07 AM »
So I'm facing a bit of a tough decision... On the one hand, we have Columbia -- a school that I truly enjoyed when I visited, had friends who've attended and loved it, and a name that frankly appeals to the vanity-whore in me. On the other, we have NYU -- a school that I certainly have no complaints about which has offered me twice the aid of CU. Is this choice clear?

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia vs NYU with money
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 11:08:05 AM »
Columbia and NYU are pretty competitive with each other, have you tried asking Columbia to see if they can match it?

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 11:21:40 AM »
If Columbia doesn't match the money, I would go to NYU. If you plan on working in the city, you'd be pretty set coming out of there, IMHO. When you visited NYU did you like it?
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

dirtytennisshoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »
I liked both schools, but like I said, I prefer Columbia. Does cost of living factor in at all? I read some posts saying it could be as high as $10k per year more at NYU . A conservative look at rental comparisons indicates at least $6k per year difference. That erodes a substantial part of my scholarship if true... is it? Does this matter?

Thanks everyone!

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »
Traditional scholarships that are less than 'full tuition +' are applied directly to your tuition (mine have stated this specifically, but I guess it's possible that other's don't). COL obviously matters significantly for your debt load, however I find it pretty hard to believe that the total predictions are between 6-10k/yr in NYC. I'm planning on living in Austin and their predictions are more like 13k. Clearly someone's numbers are off here, and from what I know about NYC rent I'd guess the NY schools are seriously low-balling.

Id try for matching from Columbia, but would probably go there anyway without it. The whole campus thing makes it feel like less of a fast-paced, go go go, New York environment to me.

Good luck!

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »
Well I picked NYU over Columbia, for reasons I've stated elsewhere and won't bother repeating here.  But I wouldn't let the money NYU gave you influence your decision too much.  It seems like you really enjoyed Columbia, so that's where I'd go.

Diecisiete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »
Traditional scholarships that are less than 'full tuition +' are applied directly to your tuition (mine have stated this specifically, but I guess it's possible that other's don't). COL obviously matters significantly for your debt load, however I find it pretty hard to believe that the total predictions are between 6-10k/yr in NYC. I'm planning on living in Austin and their predictions are more like 13k. Clearly someone's numbers are off here, and from what I know about NYC rent I'd guess the NY schools are seriously low-balling.

Id try for matching from Columbia, but would probably go there anyway without it. The whole campus thing makes it feel like less of a fast-paced, go go go, New York environment to me.

Good luck!

I think the 6-10K is not the total for NYC housing for a year, but the difference in costs between NYU and Columbia
CLS 2L

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »

Good luck!

I think the 6-10K is not the total for NYC housing for a year, but the difference in costs between NYU and Columbia

good call! that's what I get for skimming!  :-[

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 06:01:55 PM »
I liked both schools, but like I said, I prefer Columbia. Does cost of living factor in at all? I read some posts saying it could be as high as $10k per year more at NYU . A conservative look at rental comparisons indicates at least $6k per year difference. That erodes a substantial part of my scholarship if true... is it? Does this matter?

Thanks everyone!

This is a valid point, and as I wrote in another thread, CLS has a strongly subsidized housing program, which means if you get into their housing program, you'll be paying $1100-1500 a month, where as NYU pretty much charges market prices (I've even found private market housing that is cheaper than NYU's for comparable apartments), and thus will usually cost about $1700-2000. This would alone equal to about $5000 a year.

That being said, NYU does have a better location if you intend to be a part of NYC nightlife etc, so you could make up some money there etc. In the end, I'd say pick NYU since you seem to like both schools, and they pay better. But if you're leaning towards NYU, it's definitely worth a try to negotiate with CLS, they might be willing to match.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »

Thanks everyone!

If the difference is small enough that $6k would erode a substantial part of it, then go with the school you prefer.

(and yes, our housing is cheaper, especially if you're willing to go with an apartment share.)