Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham or Loyola, entertainment or international?  (Read 1870 times)

losangles18

• View Profile
    • Email
Fordham or Loyola, entertainment or international?
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:38:32 PM »
Can anyone give me some advice: i am trying to decide between loyola LA, which everyone ranks on so much here, or fordham... i am torn between studying international law or entertainment, does anyone know anything about job prospects and salaries for the two?THanks

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fordham or Loyola, entertainment or international?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 01:34:01 PM »
Fordam. Simple as that. Top school, top students, excellent job prospects. Unless you you'd hate the fact that you'd have to live in New York City aftr graduation, go to Fordham. There is not even a reason to ask this question, the answer is blantantly obvious.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:40:53 PM »
Fordam. Simple as that. Top school, top students, excellent job prospects. Unless you you'd hate the fact that you'd have to live in New York City aftr graduation, go to Fordham. There is not even a reason to ask this question, the answer is blantantly obvious.

titcr...for the most part.

if you are hell bent on pursuing entertaiinment law (it is a bit LA centric) and loyola gives you some $, then loyola may be a better choice for you.  im in a similar dilemna, choosing between 3 schools that are ranked third in their respected legal market: Hasting (after boalt and StanFURD), Fordham (after Columbia & NYU), and Loyola (ranked 3rd after SC & UCLA).

in addition to what keelee said, with schools like Hastings, Fordham, or Loyola, it boils down to location and if the location of the LS enhances your chances within a particular industry (ie, IP the bay area, Public Policy DC, entertainment law and LA).

i would also take the time to visit both schools as well...
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:54:04 PM »
Can anyone give me some advice: i am trying to decide between loyola LA, which everyone ranks on so much here, or fordham... i am torn between studying international law or entertainment, does anyone know anything about job prospects and salaries for the two?THanks
"ranks on"?  Like disses Loyola LA?  If so, I haven't seen it...
....i plan on going there... :-\
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 07:17:21 PM »
"ranks on"?  Like disses Loyola LA?  If so, I haven't seen it...
....i plan on going there... :-\
ok I'm starting to see it now after a search...what's the deal?
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 06:28:08 AM »
as someone who is also considering fordham but was disinclined to attend because of the strictly NYC job propect thing i thought i'd jump on here. i asked the admissions office to put me in contact with some current students as well as recent alumni and i found out that the whole fordham only places in NYC is bull as are a couple of other myths about NYC schools. i want to stress that this synopsis is entertainment law specific i didn't ask about corporate law or big law firm placement only entertainment companies and law firms.

1. NYU does not have the best entertainment law program Columbia does
2. The majority of Fordham students want and get NYC big law jobs.
     - this causes Fordham's career placement statistics to appear as if Fordham only places in NYC. Students who want to work outside of NYC are a self selecting group and do very well on the west coast.
3. Fordham, it's recent jump in rankings aside, is considered to be an overlooked and under rated (yes i know its ranked 25 still) school in legal circles and has a reputation of producing very good lawyers. I got this from an alumni who is a friend of a co-workder who heard i was considering the school and reached out.
     - the recent jump to #25 will only increase the school's reach
4. For those of us interested in entertainment law the same alumni above is in-house councel for NBC he told me that Fordham is also very good for those of us who are not interested in working for a firm (in other words those who want to work on the corporate side of entertainment for record compnies, film companies etc.)
3. Opps. outside NY Approx. 50 CA/Los Angeles and San Fran firms are registered for OCI at Fordham (yes ALL the big ones)
4. Fordham has an extremely good reputation for entertainment law (on par w/ other non-T14s that are strong in entertainment including USC (which despite being lower ranked than UCLA is considered THE entertainment law school), Vandy, Miami, Tulane, and Marquette (that one blew me but thats what he said). Fordham's entertainment and media law journal is considered one of the best in the country.

He also said that most entertainment firms want you to have transactional experience before they let you practice entertainment you so best bet if you only want to entertainment law is to try and summer at a record label, production company what have you get a job through them and them move to a big law firm in 5 years or so. He interned for NBC and just stuck with it because he likes it. this is where being located in NYC comes in handy. he said the biggest mistake people make is they only take copyrights and contracts he suggests taking classes like taxation, mediation, real estate, and investments etc. because an entertainment attorney is a jack of all trades clients will come to your for everything. 

yes i realize that he's one dude but he's pretty well connected in the entertainment business and i didn't get the impression he was trying to sell me on fordham. when i asked about Miami he said that would also be an excellent choice for entertainment. also, what he said jibbed with what i was getting from the current students one who just finished 1L and the other who is in his 3L year. Down side to Fordham is they are stingy with money if you're not dirt poor you're probably not going to get anything but loans. It's very small and for the most part a commuter school. Housing is not the best apparently a lot of students live up in Washington Heights or Jersey.

don't have much on loyola but he did make it a point to say that Loyola is well know and respected for its entertainment law he also mentioned Southwestern which I'd never heard of but he said he didn't think that those schools would open any doors that Fordham wouldn't. he also said that Loyola is considered the 2nd best for entertainment law in LA ahead of UCLA which surprised me. apparently Loyola has very specific classes like "financing independent films", and "navigating film distributions contracts" and an entertainmnet externship that works kind of like a co-op (if any of you are familiar with Drexel university's co-op it similar) translation good chance of networking yourself into a job. (i would have gone to loyola but their academic calendar would have created too much of a hardship so i think i have to cross them off my list.)

anyway this is long enough hope this was helpful...
...man, you was who you was before you got here

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »
4. Fordham has an extremely good reputation for entertainment law (on par w/ other non-T14s that are strong in entertainment including USC (which despite being lower ranked than UCLA is considered THE entertainment law school), Vandy, Miami, Tulane, and Marquette (that one blew me but thats what he said). Fordham's entertainment and media law journal is considered one of the best in the country.

Marquette always surprises people, but it has a top notch sports law program, which is typically merged with entertainment law. The "Big 3" in sports law are USC, Tulane, and Marquette.

With regards to the LA-area, UCLA's entertainment law program, while large, is the youngest. They got into the game late. USC's is very long established, the have close ties with the movie studios, and they send a large amount of graduates directly to movie studios, unlike UCLA. Loyola's is alos longer established.

The best places to practice entertainment law are LA, NYC, Miami, and Nashville, since those are the four US cities with huge entertainment industries and, therefore, significantly higher demand for entertainment lawyers. It is no surprise that, with few exceptions (Marquette, Tulane, and Michigan being the significant ones), the best entertainment law schools are in those four cities.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

losangles18

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 06:07:24 AM »
If I want to end up in LA after school, which one? Fordham is way higher on the rankings and i have heard a lot of positive feedback about the teachers,etc, whereas i haven't heard anything like that about loyola...but again i do want to end up in LA.... any advice?

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
go to fordham bro...so us cali kids can up the coolness factor...

it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

undecided07

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »
I currently live in NYC, but am planning on going to Loyola LA in the fall.  Both schools are really great.

You might want to look into the different courses offered at each school and see which area speaks to you the most.  I came down to a similar choice, and LA ended up being the best place for me both in terms of what to study and where to study it (I personally get too riled up in NYC to focus on studies, otherwise I would have applied to schools here!  My decision was between different schools).  Looking at the course options and talking with current students really helped me out.  Best of luck with your decision!
~Loyola LA 2010~

Hollywood, sunshine, and a BMW. Who said law school can't be fun?