Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW PT vs. Mason 1L transfer  (Read 1388 times)

gettingoutofwilliamsburg

• Trey is a Jedi
    • View Profile
    • LSN
GW PT vs. Mason 1L transfer
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:35:13 AM »
I'm putting in my deposit at GMU this weekend and I just received a waitlist from GW, my undisputed 1st choice. The waitlist card asks if I want to be considered for FT, PT or both and I feel like I could probably get in PT whereas FT would be more of a gamble (My father got his MD there, my sister got her MBA there, I have a letter of rec. from an affluent alumnus that's on it's way so I feel like I may be able to overcome my low GPA). My question is this: If I want D.C. biglaw and debt is an issue would it be smarter to check FT only on the waitlist card and gamble with the idea in mind of transferring from Mason after 1L if I get rejected OR should I ckeck both on the waitlist card and take a likely PT admission with the idea of transferring to FT (which I've heard is not as easy as it sounds) after the first semester?
W&M UG
2.81 - 169

You Enjoy Myself (in): FSU ($$$$), Penn State, George Mason, Miami, Wake ($$), Stetson
Down With Disease (out): Emory, Florida
Bittersweet Motel (WL): W&M, GW
Wading in the Velvet Sea (pending): None, cycle over

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mspaol

gettingoutofwilliamsburg

• Trey is a Jedi
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: GW PT vs. Mason 1L transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice, you're right about the 3.1 index, I'm concerned about the transfer from PT to FT because I've heard it's extremely competitive and many people have a hard time doing it and I feel like if I check the "both" box they won't even consider me for FT. I'm also not sure about the difference in credits between PT and FT and what I will have to do to make it up in order to graduate in 3 years (debt is an issue). I realize also that you are right about transferring and there is no guarantee I will have the grades to do so. If anyone has any experience with the PT to FT transfer and can shed any light it would be extremely helpful. Again, you're right and GW is my first choice but I'm not a big fan of the idea of PT night study.
W&M UG
2.81 - 169

You Enjoy Myself (in): FSU ($$$$), Penn State, George Mason, Miami, Wake ($$), Stetson

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:12:16 PM »
I'm in a similar situation in many different respects. I hesitated to put FT and PT on my original application because I felt like they would take the easy way out and just accept me PT. Now that I was waitlisted, I decided to check both FT and PT, because I think I have a real good shot at getting in PT. I had been hearing on this board that it's sooo easy to transfer to FT (as easy as filling out a form and having passing grades) but that appears not to be the case from what you two are saying. Is there anywhere I can find more definitive information on this? Has anyone called the relevant offices at GW and asked about this?

Right now, I'm probably going to Emory and would like to go there but I would prefer GW FT over Emory, mainly because I love DC and want to go to LS here/work here.

gettingoutofwilliamsburg

• Trey is a Jedi
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:23:24 PM »
It would seem that I was mis-informed, I just called the GW admissions office and asked a few questions about the PT program, hopefully this will help you Panda as I found it very helpful and your situation seems very similar. The gentleman on the phone told me that the process to transfer from PT to FT is not difficult at all (as you mentioned) as long as you are in decent academic standing. He also said that the classes run Monday through Friday from 6-8 pm with a maximum of 12 credits... leaving only 4 to make up later if you transfer after one semester. I have heard however that snobby employers will look at it as a blemish and will ask why you started PT but I feel like if you prove yourself with performance that can easily be overcome. I still don't like the idea of PT since I don't have a job or anything worthwhile to do during the day for the first semester but PT GW is better than no GW.
W&M UG
2.81 - 169

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
Don't they claim that PT ad FT admission standards are the same? Did everyone else assume that this was BS?

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »
It would seem that I was mis-informed
*nods*

I have a friend that did both undergrad and is now a 1L at GW. She filled out the WL card and chose both options and was accepted PT, but transferred to FT after the first semester. In her words -- "easiest administrative transaction I ever made at GW". Including registering for courses. They even go so far as to create a special section for 1L PT people transferring to FT after one semester, and they also go so far as to include this as a topic at orientation (or at least they did last year).

Don't they claim that PT ad FT admission standards are the same? Did everyone else assume that this was BS?
The standards are the same, but the competition for PT is less intense, hence the variance.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »

Yeah, pretty much BS. Their FAQ says they actually have the same standards but less ppl applying to PT and hence your odds may be slightly higher. I highly doubt it--obviously they don't report the PT data (from what I hear), which is why they accept people with lower numbers to their PT program.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »
It would seem that I was mis-informed, I just called the GW admissions office and asked a few questions about the PT program, hopefully this will help you Panda as I found it very helpful and your situation seems very similar. The gentleman on the phone told me that the process to transfer from PT to FT is not difficult at all (as you mentioned) as long as you are in decent academic standing. He also said that the classes run Monday through Friday from 6-8 pm with a maximum of 12 credits... leaving only 4 to make up later if you transfer after one semester. I have heard however that snobby employers will look at it as a blemish and will ask why you started PT but I feel like if you prove yourself with performance that can easily be overcome. I still don't like the idea of PT since I don't have a job or anything worthwhile to do during the day for the first semester but PT GW is better than no GW.

Thanks for calling and clarifying...that is very encouraging. My only concern would be the question that prospective employers would ask about why you were PT for a semester. I currently work as a paralegal in DC so I could work reduced hours during the first semester when I'm PT.  I don't think it could be all that bad if one were to be truthful to prospective employers and just say "I checked both the FT and PT boxes, they accepted me PT, and then I transferred FT." Plus, if you have good grades to back it up, they probably shouldn't really care, as long as you made the most of your time at GW. 

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »

Yeah, pretty much BS. Their FAQ says they actually have the same standards but less ppl applying to PT and hence your odds may be slightly higher. I highly doubt it--obviously they don't report the PT data (from what I hear), which is why they accept people with lower numbers to their PT program.
PT data's reported to LSAC... it's available right on the site alongside the FT numbers.

motorboatinsonofa

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's all deadly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »
I'm putting in my deposit at GMU this weekend and I just received a waitlist from GW, my undisputed 1st choice. The waitlist card asks if I want to be considered for FT, PT or both and I feel like I could probably get in PT whereas FT would be more of a gamble (My father got his MD there, my sister got her MBA there, I have a letter of rec. from an affluent alumnus that's on it's way so I feel like I may be able to overcome my low GPA). My question is this: If I want D.C. biglaw and debt is an issue would it be smarter to check FT only on the waitlist card and gamble with the idea in mind of transferring from Mason after 1L if I get rejected OR should I ckeck both on the waitlist card and take a likely PT admission with the idea of transferring to FT (which I've heard is not as easy as it sounds) after the first semester?

My initial reaction is definitely go with GW P/T.  I'm glad you called to get the PT->FT straightened out.  I've also heard it was very easy.

If debt is an issue though - I wouldn't expect much love from GW in terms of merit scholarships or grants...It sounds like you are a VA resident so I'm wondering how your concern would weigh in here..

FWIW - With great reluctance I freed up a spot this week at GW P/T  :-\
1L