Law School Discussion

In at SMU, rejected at ASU?

In at SMU, rejected at ASU?
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:02:32 PM »
I'm a little dissapointed...I really thought I would get into ASU, but its not that big of a deal.  Anybody else decided on SMU? Is it a national school at all?

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: In at SMU, rejected at ASU?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »
No on both counts (not that SMU has even bothered answering yet).

National schools = Top 20, give or take 5.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:13:19 PM »
so if its not national, what are my job prospects if i attend? the chances of getting a pretty good job in Dallas/ft worth are pretty good right? (good job = $70K + for me)

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:27:42 PM »
so if its not national, what are my job prospects if i attend? the chances of getting a pretty good job in Dallas/ft worth are pretty good right? (good job = $70K + for me)

In a nutshell, the answer to your second question is 'yes,' your chances of making $70K+ are pretty good.

For more specific information about job prospects you can check out http://www.nalpdirectory.com/ to see if firms you are interested in recruit on your campus. You can also contact SMU to see if they can give you a list of firms that recruit on campus, or if they can provide you with a list of where recent grads are working. Lastly, you can look at firms where you want to work and see if there are SMU grads there.

Good luck. :)

Just remember - High grades and good networking = better job prospects.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:11:31 AM »
I would say that you're job prospects are great coming from SMU anywhere in Texas.  For example, I know that Vinson & Elkins recruits from the top third of the class at SMU if that helps any.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:02:04 AM »
SMU does great in DFW and pretty well in Houston.  That is about the extent of its reach, but you will be able to get pretty solid jobs in either city if you are top third.

You are one of the few that have even heard from SMU this year.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:58:22 AM »
i just got a call yesterday from admissions...if it makes any difference, I'm part-time...but I did apply pretty late (January 2)