Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is abortion safer than childbirth?  (Read 3611 times)

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
Re: Is abortion safer than childbirth?
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2007, 02:41:07 AM »
I have lived in an orphanage overseas, in a country that makes Mexico look rich. I have a maternal grandfather that was an orphan. My uncle adopted a druggies 4 yr old child, my lil brother was adopted by my parents, my exgirlfriends mom was adopted by a super rich Stanford educated family, I worked on a poor Indian reservation with children whose parents were 50% druggies and alcoholics. All these people were happy to be alive. Life was not perfect for them all, but it was life!!! Life is precious. Abortion is murder.

Okay, if abortion is murder and you're so much in favor of adoption, why don't you go to an abortion clinic and instead of telling the women going in how wrong and misguided they are by the "pro-choice" lies, offer to adopt all of their children instead. Tell them you will take their children in, feed and clothe them, and provide for their college education. Anything less is half-assing it, and you should stay the @#!* out of their business.

I will adopt.In fact I will someday have a house full of them. I am a broke ass now. And that girl I mentioned earlier who had two abortions and was going to maybe have a third- I offered t buy her baby for $2000 (all I could afford). I also said that my parents would probably give her $10000 for her baby. She decided that she might become sterile and kept that one. PWND
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

brown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2007, 11:22:05 AM »
Life is hell.  Nonexistence is arguably more pleasant than existence even in the best of circumstances. 

clearly, you don't believe that.

Clearly?  False.  I do believe that.  What's your evidence to the contrary?

My evidence is that you haven't killed yourself.  If you really believed it, you'd be gone by now.

False.

1.  See "arguably."
2.  Still doesn't follow.  Why not?  Because (a) it would be painful (and there is no guarantee of success--this is often the case, and tends to be disastrous) and (b) nonexistence can't be isolated (i.e. because I exist my future nonexistence through suicide, even if qualifying as nonexistence, would cause suffering for people I don't care to cause to suffer).

1. Well, if you really want to emphasize "arguably", then you're not saying much since most things are arguable.

2. Then you're back to my point where, at best, you can only decide that for yourself.

Causing people to suffer?  That doesn't even apply.  You're smarter than this.  The fetus doesn't suffer.  The mother chooses to abort her pregnancy because she will suffer less by doing that than by continuing it.  How is the analogy at all meaningful or relevant?

That's not what I was getting at.  I shouldn't have bolded so much.  I should have just bolded the "I."  The point was that your subjective desires affect the pleasantness.

By the way, who are you--thinking you can talk to me with that tone?

Edit:  I can't believe I didn't realize it was you.
"Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer."

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »
Tag

brown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2007, 12:38:17 PM »
"Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer."

brown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
Yeah, a classmate sent me that this morning.

I don't know if it qualifies as the asexual reproduction we brought up yesterday, but it's neat on its own.

I hear ya.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
Life is hell.  Nonexistence is arguably more pleasant than existence even in the best of circumstances. 

clearly, you don't believe that.

Clearly?  False.  I do believe that.  What's your evidence to the contrary?

1. My evidence is that you haven't killed yourself.  If you really believed it, you'd be gone by now.

<---really unclear as to why you think that he wouldn't try and fail.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2007, 10:32:09 AM »
This thread turned into the Liberty University Thread in no time fast.

In many cases, having a child before you are ready to support a new life can ruin three lives: that of the mother, the father, and the child.  Do you really think uneducated people who have multiple children at young ages and in poverty are really doing what's best for all involved and for society as a whole?

I believe I read once that as abortion rates rise, crime levels have been reduced. Also, it's a continuing cycle. Those who have children while young (imo especially those who get married just for the sake of the child) are much more likely for the same thing to happen to their kids.

Abortion is not anyone's first choice, but it makes sense in many cases.   Those who see absolute right and absolute wrong here are probably not looking at the whole issue.  Furthermore, imo, men should not be able to have a say in this issue as it will never be a decision that they have to make.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2007, 03:32:18 PM »
  Furthermore, imo, men should not be able to have a say in this issue as it will never be a decision that they have to make.
[/quote]

whaaa? this is precisely what is wrong with the rabid left's opinion of abortion.  it takes two people to make a child, the choice about whether it lives or dies should be a choice both make...if mom decides she wants it and dad doesn't, can dad refuse to pay child support?  if dad wants the kid and mom does not then she just gets to kill it...yep that sounds fair.

brown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2007, 09:24:30 PM »
there's also the other side:  if she wants it and he doesn't, he still has to pay.