Law School Discussion

All Things NYC

Re: All Things NYC
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 07:54:57 AM »
The Bronx is kind of far away from things but in terms of dogs, parks, and cars - Riverdale (in the North Brokx) would fit your bill.  It is full of parks and greenery (you won't even believe you are in NYC) and the parking is not as much of an issue.  With a car, you can get to the  upper west side in 20 minutes or less (without traffic).  Most people associate with Riverdale with huge mansions for only wealthy people, but that is only certain sections.  There are plenty of apartment buildings for regular people and you will probably get more space for your money.  However, you will feel far away from downtown Manhattan and it can get boring.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 07:59:46 AM »
I could be wrong but I think dogs are not allowed on the subway.  Parks, however, are everywhere.  Brooklyn is a pretty 'green' area with lots of parks.

Hi,

I live in NYC now and I have a dog.  It's a little hard to find an apartment that allows dog, but it's definitely not impossible.  Also, dogs are allowed in subways if you keep them in a bag - if they're not in a bag you can be fined.  My dog is very small so she's relatively easy to have in NYC - honestly, I don't know how people with big dogs manage, but you see them everywhere here.  Also, many taxis will take your dog especially if they are in a bag and are quiet - I usually just tell the taxi driver that I have a dog when I get in the cab and I've never had a problem.

Good luck with everything - finding an apartment in NYC sucks!

dcollins

• Tina come get your ham
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 08:13:25 AM »
The Bronx is kind of far away from things but in terms of dogs, parks, and cars - Riverdale (in the North Brokx) would fit your bill.  It is full of parks and greenery (you won't even believe you are in NYC) and the parking is not as much of an issue.  With a car, you can get to the  upper west side in 20 minutes or less (without traffic).  Most people associate with Riverdale with huge mansions for only wealthy people, but that is only certain sections.  There are plenty of apartment buildings for regular people and you will probably get more space for your money.  However, you will feel far away from downtown Manhattan and it can get boring.

I wish parking wasnt a problem in Riverdale.  There are almost zero pay lots or garages to rent space from, and the buildings that do have spots are pretty pricey.  The problem with a lot of that area is that there are so many single family homes...many with driveways, and the space between the driveways are too small to fit cars in - thus eliminating so many possible street spots.  Any suggestions would be sooo appreciated! :)

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 08:37:01 AM »
I agree with most of what's been said. But I definitely VETO on the car. Beachboy had some good suggestions.

A lottttt of my friends live in Astoria and Brooklyn and commute to the city. They live in happening areas, fun nightlife, restaurants, bars, lots of other recent grads. It's not a bad commute, but it does take time, and time is precious as a law student.

Yeah, if you're not used to commuting or can't handle the 1/2 hour, it'd be rough. But living in the west village or even lower east side is crazy expensive, so I think it's totally worth it. If I were going to NYU (not that they've even acknowledged my applicaiton) I'd be staying in my nice little rent control apartment.

The car is totally doable in Bklyn. It really isn't that big a deal where I am at least.

SugarJ, I didn't realize you were a New Yorker too!

I didn't know you were either, deedee! I'm actually from the 'burbs though (Nassau County). Are you from the city? Yeah - NYU and Columbia gave me harsh dings. The next choice was Fordham, but I ultimately decided that Cornell opportunities > Fordham, even though I would love to stay in the city for law school.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »
If you think about it, Cornell is the best of both worlds.  You're in a T14 and won't have to stress over finishing at the top of your class to get a good job in NYC.  Second, the rent around Ithaca is very affordable and having a car won't be a problem. 

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 08:46:41 AM »
Well, I guess parking in Riverdale always seems easier to me than parking in downtown Manhattan - my current daily morning nightmare.  I guess the grass is always greener.

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 08:52:57 AM »
I agree with most of what's been said. But I definitely VETO on the car. Beachboy had some good suggestions.

A lottttt of my friends live in Astoria and Brooklyn and commute to the city. They live in happening areas, fun nightlife, restaurants, bars, lots of other recent grads. It's not a bad commute, but it does take time, and time is precious as a law student.

Yeah, if you're not used to commuting or can't handle the 1/2 hour, it'd be rough. But living in the west village or even lower east side is crazy expensive, so I think it's totally worth it. If I were going to NYU (not that they've even acknowledged my applicaiton) I'd be staying in my nice little rent control apartment.

The car is totally doable in Bklyn. It really isn't that big a deal where I am at least.

SugarJ, I didn't realize you were a New Yorker too!

I didn't know you were either, deedee! I'm actually from the 'burbs though (Nassau County). Are you from the city? Yeah - NYU and Columbia gave me harsh dings. The next choice was Fordham, but I ultimately decided that Cornell opportunities > Fordham, even though I would love to stay in the city for law school.

I'm from Brooklyn, and since I'm now leaning towards Penn, looks like I'll be a New Yorker for life. I think you made the right choice on Cornell. I recently had a long chat with a current associate, to pick her brain on firm life, and she'd gone to Fordham and had no problem getting a job, but she was in the top 15 percent of her class. So all things considered, Cornell at least gives you that safety net. Would you believe they still haven't sent me a fin aid package? Oh well.

So, when does your year abroad begin?

Stupid Cornell - I'd be angry too if they haven't sent money yet  >:( Do you want to work in the city after you graduate? It's true - I have a friend at Fordham who is at around the median and is having trouble finding a job... she's  a 2L...

I leave in September. Right now I'm scrambling around to find a summer job so I have funds with which to frolic on the Costa del Sol and Paris during my weekends  :D I'm trying to find something law-related... and I've got nothing. One firm offered me an unpaid internship for "experience"... sorry, been there, done that, need cash  :D

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »

Stupid Cornell - I'd be angry too if they haven't sent money yet  >:( Do you want to work in the city after you graduate? It's true - I have a friend at Fordham who is at around the median and is having trouble finding a job... she's  a 2L...

I leave in September. Right now I'm scrambling around to find a summer job so I have funds with which to frolic on the Costa del Sol and Paris during my weekends  :D I'm trying to find something law-related... and I've got nothing. One firm offered me an unpaid internship for "experience"... sorry, been there, done that, need cash  :D

I can't even tell you how jealous I am! Frolicking around all these exotic locales--wow, what a way to spend your time before law school. Why didn't I think of this?

Haha lol! I was like, "I want to live in Spain before law school!" to my adviser, and she's like, "Well you could apply for this thing called the Fulbright..."

It's not only for recent grads though - so you technically could go for a year in between 1L and 2L or 2L and 3L. It's not ideal, but if I hadn't gotten it this year, I would've definitely considered it.

I decided that law school is going to suck all my money away anyway, so I might as well spend it all next year in Europe   ;D And especially since Cornell won't defer my scholarship, and I'll be poor anyway, I might as well be as poor as I can so they give me more scholarship money next year.  :D

Emilia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 09:48:24 AM »

tag

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »
Sugar, so you gave up a Cornell scholarship so that you can blow your money away in Europe?